Author Topic: LSP & RGB  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Rbar

LSP & RGB
« on: May 16, 2011, »
I realized that I don't have enough to do and am going to buy & learn Light Show Pro to use up time and budget.
<sigh>
I am going to use LSP to be ready for all the LED RGB nodes I am preparing to buy to outline the house, and if LPS simplifies it, enough to do a 12 strand 2D (flat) tree to add some dramatic effects. 
I'm looking for opinions here first because I don't expect the LSP forums to have much on RJ's approach to RGB.
LSP, RJ's hardware and the RGB smart strings are the most exciting consumer/DIY priced tools with the greatest potential that I have seen.
Richard B.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: LSP & RGB
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, »
I'm still waiting for LSP 2.0 to be released.

The software has the potential to be truly great.  I want that to happen in the worst way.

Some of LSP already is very good.  Its support of hardware and protocols is the best.

BUT

The current 1.8.x version lacks refinement in many areas and for that reason I find it to be painful
to use.  Painfully slow, painfully lacking reliable/predictable redo/undo capability, painfully bad at the
basics of sequencing and the basic effects, painfully overloaded with gimmicks ... but fantastic in the
more advanced features and esp. the object oriented RGB programming.

So version 2.0 promises to correct most of this.  Hopefully it will.

So I'd recommend you try the demo version out first ... its fully functional.  And if you like it, then buy it.

I'm critical of LSP, but I also fully hope they deliver on the promises to fix its many silly faults, which seem
very fixable ... but perhaps got passed by on the initial versions.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dmoore

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, »
I think I can speak to LSP as a beta tester and as someone that sequenced 2,800 channels last year (mostly RGB) in LSP.  LSP made some major jumps in ability last year to be able to handle 10k channels and some complex new hardware that was introduced.  I won't say it wasn't problem free but LSP went through a number of revisions to be able to step up to the plate and work with these large number of channels (the developer also had a large number of RGB channels in 2010).  The one thing that still was lacking was minor little "issues", mostly in the UI - things like cut-n-paste, scrolling, timing marks, etc - nothing you couldn't work around but they were just annoying. 

A number of the beta testers discussed what they felt needed the most attention in the new revision and there were two major priorities - speed and fixing of all the minor UI bugs.  The developer has already released information that shows the speed (it went from single threaded to multi-threaded) has increased, file sizes have dropped and memory requirements are lower, even on large sequences.  According to what I'm seein in the bug tracker, they are also resolving the outstanding UI related issues.

So, a release is coming in the near future and I'm sure it will be really amazing. 

Offline Rbar

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, »
I'm going to wait for LSP 2.0.
I won some CoroStars at the Wa State mini-Plus.
Thank you for supporting that.
It was a full day of RGB presentations, discussion and demos.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, »
I volunteered to be a beta tester, but never got a reply.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Rbar

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, »
I don't see too much about the beta on the LSP board, just a few mentions on beta feedback.
I'm sure you can get your feedback incorporated into a follow-on .x release.  :-)