Author Topic: What's the purpose?  (Read 5504 times)

Offline Blackbeard

What's the purpose?
« on: May 19, 2011, »
Just wondering what you use this board for now that there's a COOP running for it? It reads as though there's a MR16 flood, but I don't really see it listed, so is there alternative uses for this board?

Thanks for any help.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: What's the purpose?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, »
it can control DC powered souces, rather than AC powered devices like the other controllers.

some spotlights (other than just the mr16 lights) can be controlled as well.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, »
Originally, to control these

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, »
you could also use it to run RGB floods, LED 5050 light strips (non pixel based), etc.

Handy to have around.
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, »
to help clarify mmciver's post...

you can control rgb devices where you can dim the individual colors (r,g,b and even devices that have a w)

each color would be a seperate channel on the mr16.

you can even use it to control some custom lighting in a model train layout (or those christmas villages)

i'm using one of mine to control rainbow spotlights.

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, »
I use my MR16 DC 16 channel controller to control five 12V Rainbow Floods.  They are 3 channels each for a total of 15 channels.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, »
I use mine to control some 12v LEDs in my singing pumpkins.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, »
Here's the whole gory story of how I use MR-16s:

\dmc

Offline kjam22

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, »
So would the MR16 replace a rainbow brain controller?  If I understand it correctly, I could run cat 5 from one of my expresses into the MR16 then out to the Flood?  I assume that I would then need to daisy chain the floods since there appears to be only one outlet on the MR16?

Sorry for all of the questions but I wanted to bring some floods into my display and I want to make sure I understand this.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, »
i believe the rainbow brain can handle more devices connected to each controller. i could be mistaken

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, »
So would the MR16 replace a rainbow brain controller?  If I understand it correctly, I could run cat 5 from one of my expresses into the MR16 then out to the Flood?  I assume that I would then need to daisy chain the floods since there appears to be only one outlet on the MR16?

Sorry for all of the questions but I wanted to bring some floods into my display and I want to make sure I understand this.

The MR16 has a dmx in and a dmx out.  This is not what plugs into the rainbow flood.  It has 16 output channels.  So one MR16 can control 5 rainbow floods at 3 channels each for a total of 15 channels and one left over.  My rainbow floods draw right at 1.5 amps each then they are on full.  I have 4 of then so about 6 amps total.  Here is a couple of pics.  The 2nd pic you can see I attached cat 5 to the outputs.  I simply invented my own connections.  2 orange = red, 2 green = green and 2 blue = blue with the 2 brown being common positive.  I used 2 wires per color for more current and if one wire fails, I have a back up sort of.  I used cat5 couplers to join the cat5 connections and extend the length.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline tpboyce

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, »
Has anybody used these to run the Mighty Mini floods?  I know they have their own driver board, but it only supports one flood light.  I would like to minimize the number of little boxes I have around.

Offline kjam22

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, »
Thanks Trekster, I think I have it figured out now.  How did you determine where to land the wires on the rainbow?  It looks like you omitted the cat 5 connectors and went straight to he board - what do I connect to what?

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, »
the operations manual of the rainbow equipment tells you how to connect it to devices other than a brain. I'd check at his site.

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, »
Has anybody used these to run the Mighty Mini floods?  I know they have their own driver board, but it only supports one flood light.  I would like to minimize the number of little boxes I have around.

I do not have the might mini floods, but I am sure that they will work with this controller. I believe each flood requires four channels so you would be able to control up to 4 individual floods per controller or possibly more if you connect multiple floods to the same channel. You just have to make sure not to exceed the maximum current when connecting multiple floods to the same channel.