Author Topic: Need Help Trouble Shooting For Dongle  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Dholley

Need Help Trouble Shooting For Dongle
« on: May 19, 2011, »
Dear DIY,

Good morning.  I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction to have working lights.  Here is what I have so far:

1. I have completed a new build for the DMX dongle and pic per the instructions by NavyGator. The pic was successful
2. I downloaded and installed the FTDI driver and verified the com port
3. I created a test sequence per the video of Bill Buehlers video 2 to test the dongle with a Lynx Express v4
4. There are no lights coming on from the test
5. The Express will flash the lights from mode/ select switch so I think the express is fine
6. Both the red and green leads of the Dongle light up when plugged into the USB port
7. I double checked the solder joints and installation pieces for orientation they "apprear" to be okay

I read some of the other post about building a tester for the dongle but at the moment the instructions are a little over my head. I am new to the electronics field.

Thanks to everyone in advance for their willingness  to help a wanna be blinky.

Danny

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
Re: Need Help Trouble Shooting For Dongle
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, »
here is some info on a tester.  The second one is very simple to make.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, »
keep in mind that the tester that i posted will not blink to any programmed sequence.

but will light up one color for a duration with the passing of the 1's, and the other led lighting up for the duration of the passing of the 0's.

so they will both light up, and might be different intensities, and might even just stay that way, or change because of the bits in the data stream. if you build a tester out of a bi directional led, it will appear as a blend of the two colors.

the stream is never purely 1's or 0's, so one light wont be one, and the other off. but if no signal was present, then it wouldn't light at all. so it's more used as a DMX is present detector, than anything else, and, i think, is similar to the green light in the dongle.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, »
Have you tried another cat 5 cable also are the jumpers set correctly on the LE for wired and off if you are useing wireless. mabey a little more info on your set up and some Pics of your dongle front and back there are some real good eyes out there that might see something
Jeff

Offline caretaker

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, »
Dear DIY,

Good morning.  I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction to have working lights.  Here is what I have so far:

1. I have completed a new build for the DMX dongle and pic per the instructions by NavyGator. The pic was successful
2. I downloaded and installed the FTDI driver and verified the com port

Did you check to see what the 'Port Settings' of the USB com port where? The baud rate should be 57600 not the stock 9600...

Jeff Squires

Offline Dholley

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, »
Thanks to everyone who has repled. Here is some additional information

1.  The jumpers are set correctly for wired
2. I will try another cat 5 cable
3. I updated to the port settings of the baud rate to 57600
4. I ran the test and again and no lights
4. The terminate jumper is on as I am working only one express
5. I assume with Bill's test the starting channel of the express doesn't matter since all 512 channels are tested?
5. The display of the express is set to 001, I assume with this setting if the system was working correctly this unit would operate channels 1 through 16? Would someone please confirm?

Lineman it may take me a little time to post some pictures.

Offline Dholley

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, »
Yahooooooooo! I have made some progress!!!!!  Caretaker's  suggestion to check the baud rate of the port settings proved most beneficial, I tired them at 57600 and it didn't work. Then I checked Bill's video, he has them at 115200 in Vixen for the test, I updated the port settings to the same and WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SITE THE LIGHTS CAME ON!!!

Thanks to everone, how kind and generous of everyone to help a wanna be blinky.

God's Blessings!

Danny

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, »
congrats
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, »
Way to go glad you got it working
Jeff