Author Topic: New Aether  (Read 36553 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
New Aether
« on: May 19, 2011, »
As those that hang out on the Teamspeak chat know I have been talking with users about the Aether for about a month.

I find those that built them love them but I have had four issues that have come up.

1 - The leds have increased in cost by a good amount adding about $20 to the cost of a coop.

2 - Many users will not try building them as the SMD puts them off on the project.

3 - Some users that did had issues getting the soldering done well and require effort to get the units working once assembled.

4- it is a pain to coop due to the small parts.

Now #1 I can do nothing about but

#2 and #3 I can

#3 happens at some level with all projects as we have to assist but that is normal and why we are all here to help. Most of us had to have some help along the way so it becomes our turn to assist. I would say our members are above average on this. But with the Aether the percentage is definately higher.

So after talking with some of the users and getting feedback I decided to solve some of the things they would like to see.

So for the last 3-4 weeks I have been working on the Aether II

First they wanted easier to build so that all DLA users could build it. I felt this only right since our forum's mission is to make DIY easy enough for everyone. I took a leap with going all SMD and not everyone was ready for it. To meet  this goal I made it all through hole and you do not have to glue the leds down. They screw down on it. It also uses less parts so it is a quicker build. Building it is like assembly a MR16 controller.

They would like to see it cost less if possible. I made this happen also and it will cost a good bit less.

I was asked if it could have a dedicated white channel instead of blending the colors to make white so It has seperate white.

I was asked if I could put the White channel as channel #4 instead of #1 to make it match other devices so I did.

They like the Ability to add lens to change it's throw so I keep this and made it cheaper to change as the lens are much less.

They liked it was a all in one that did not need a seperate power supply or controller so I kept this.

They liked the Abilty to add the Wireless into it so it keeps that also.

They really liked the amount of light output so we actually raised it slightly.

They liked nothing having to solder a large amount of small leds to build it so I stayed with high power LEDs

You will be able to use it beside a current aether without it looking different as it uses the same case.

It will be avaliable in time to build this year. I could see a coop in a month and a half.

I am current tweaking the Proto pcb so I can get a few beta pcbs coming. Once these are here and I get one finished I will unveil it to all.

I will not be answering anymore questions about it until then and I ask those I have spoke with to please wait till then to make speculations on it. I like to surpise the users with new stuff.

RJ
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, by rrowan »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
Re: New Aether
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, »
That is awesome.  How do you find the time to do all that you do.  I would think that if all you had to do is DIY light stuff, you would still not get done what you do for us.  But you do!  I think while we are sleeping you keep working.  I built the Aether I version.  I did let it stay in the box for several months because I was afraid of the SMD.  But when I finally did it, it was easy I thought.  It worked correctly the first time I plugged it in.  I will be watching for your updates on the Aether II.

Thank you R.J. for all the cool new toys! I find them fascinating!  

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, »
Nice, I watched the build video you made for it and was thinking I might not want to try it out. Maybe down the road I could do some SMD, but at this point wasn't looking forward too it. Thanks for taking the time RJ.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline keitha43

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, »
My prayers have been answered. It seems RJ has addressed every one of my concerns except one. A month and a half wait until I have a chance to order some.  And the first Northern Tool store opened in OKC recently. What a coincidence. I saw a Aether at our mini and I believe it could even show up against my dark burgundy brick which my last years floods couldn't. I would just go ahead and try to build the housing using the video instructions but I am afaid something in the measurements may change. More power, less cost, Its going to be a long month and a half. By he way the smartstring leds are fantastic. Thanks RJ.

Offline inzeos

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, »
Exciting news RJ!  Going to have to keep my eyes peeled for this coop.

Leif

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, »
My wallet can't keep up!!

RJ is like a magician!

Can't wait to see what comes out his sleeve next.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, »
Call me impressed. Although I can't say that I found assembling my 5 Aethers difficult, it did take a leap of faith when being told that when you glob the grey goop in a manner that you'd think is too sloppy, when it heats up it magically moves and sticks to the metal pins of the on-board components. It also helps that my vision is still good.

Personally, I found drilling the case's holes in the exacting positions (to ensure clearances) more difficult than gooping and heating the board.

Either way, I'd like to order a spare board for my display this year. RJ, are the positions of the holes on the board going to be the same as in Version 1? I don't want to buy another light case... if I have an Aether that fails for some reason, I'd be happy with swapping the board out of one of the cases I already have.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, by Gary »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, »
Mounting is still in the works so do not know.

RJ

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, »
My wife is not going to be happy for to hear this! LOL
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, »
 <pop..
I can hardly wait.  kudos RJ. I have more fun and you have made a million smiles on many face you will never see.  My local paper is already making appointments with me for Christmas 2011.  All because of the kids in the neighborhood helping me solder and building the show with me.  If your goal was to make everyone in the world smile, you are well on your way.  I see this device in my show this year.  Thank you, Kevin

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, »
This is just awesome.  My wife did questions if I really needed more.  I just smiled back.  I built 4 Aethers and honestly I was so proud of myself for getting all 4 of them to work, but it did take effort.  I was kind of hoping to try again to see if I could build them without any issues.  I just completed two Lynx Express without any issues.  I am looking forward to the new design.  Thank you RJ!

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, »
This is great news!  Thanks for thinking of me (cheap solder rookie with fear of smd  ;D)

I just wanted to post the reasons you stated are EXACTLY why I didn't pursue the aether.  I am even happier that I didn't pursue other rgb floods so the aether II is THE answer for my floods this year.

RJ and teamspeakers, I really appreciate the decision to go this direction and keeping the gear accessible to everyone.   

THANKS!!!
 ;D
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, »
Just an update,

I have the prototype on the bench running and my expected output levels were off!

The Aether II is very notiable brighter.

Testing to insure we get rid of the heat is underway.

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, »
Just an update,

I have the prototype on the bench running and my expected output levels were off!

RJ

I hope you are protecting your eyes

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline inzeos

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, »
Just an update,

RJ

Nice!  Bright is always a good thing to hear :)