Author Topic: New Aether  (Read 36576 times)

Offline tbone321

Re: New Aether
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2011, »
They call them 12V and at max rated load that's about where they are but they are unregulated AC transformers and put out around16V unloaded. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2011, »
I wonder how many folks would only be using 1 or 2 units.  This would drive the cost per unit up quite a bit, although the other benefits may outweigh this issue.  What is the cost of the board mounted transformer in a qty of one?  At what qty of aethers would the cost per unit become less?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2011, »
There is more to it than just the cost of the transformer.  As RJ said before, the transformer that he would need is not one that there is any quantity of in stock and lead times could be 15 weeks.  That alone would be enough for me to look in another direction.  Then there are space issues inside of the case that need to be delt with as well.  He also said that a $60 landscape transformer (small) would be able to run 6 to 8 of them so I'm sure that he has taken care of the voltage issues.  I like this idea since I already have some of this in place and landscape transformers are in most cases less expensive and far more weather resistant than ATX power supplies. 

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2011, »
When Ather was introduced the landscape transformer is what I wanted. My yard already has 5 up directed flood lights on the house, 2 up directed lights in one tree and 6 down directed lights in three trees.

My transformer is a 600 watt professional with a 3 position switch to select the voltage needed.

The 5 floods on the house is what I want to change to Athers to change the color of the wall wash on the house during the year. Brick is white.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I wonder how many folks would only be using 1 or 2 units.  This would drive the cost per unit up quite a bit, although the other benefits may outweigh this issue.  What is the cost of the board mounted transformer in a qty of one?  At what qty of aethers would the cost per unit become less?

Not as much as you think!
The savings on each Aether II unit is about $18 so if you have three aethers it is a breakeven. I have even found the Transformers for less

This should run two units easy:

This should run five units I believe:

This I believe would do ten:

And if you want to go crazy buy this and do 20 of them:

The other option I have thought about is to make it operate off of 15v DC regulated and plug one of the $8 little waterproof 15v power supplys Ray has into each one so it is 120 - 240 AC powered but the power supply is outside.

The last options is to go ahead as originally intended and drop the lenses and give myself extra room to work with.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2011, »
I like the 5&10 unit option

Mike

Offline egenoup

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2011, »
How about powering from SS hub 12V via cat5?  40W is less than 12V x 5A...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, by egenoup »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2011, »
That might work if you don't have much on the hubs but mine will be pretty loaded up. 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2011, »
How about powering from SS hub 12V via cat5?  40W is less than 12V x 5A...

This would not work as the unit needs more than 12v DC. The landscape transformer is 12v AC which is much more when converted to DC.

RJ

Offline tpctech

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2011, »
What is the wattage or amp draw of 1 ether unit running on the "12vac ish landscape" transfomer?  I have another thought on off the shelf transformers from another industry that may be a economic option.

KEN 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2011, »
I have decided already and went ahead with the Landscape Transformer setup. The pcb is designed and will be ordered Monday.

RJ

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2011, »
if you still have the manual switch on the aether, it can be used as landscape lighting  ;D
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2011, »
I like the landscape lighting transformers myself, already have 3 out there I can use during Christmas.  I also like that they are already water proof, no containers to find, no cooling to do.  Plug in and go.
Will

Offline keitha43

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2011, »
I like RJ's decision as I want the option to try all the lenses to get the effect I want. I saw last years had a switch. Did the switch allow color choice? and was there a way to dim the light down especially with these new more powerfull leds my HOA might not like it if I have bright floods year round but might accept colors if not too bright.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2011, »
i'm just speaking about future possibilities...

most of the time when i go into stores, they are really pushing landscape lighting to be solar/battery powered.
most of these stores are showing less and less of the wired versions...

could this potentially be a problem as so called "green" options are being forced upon us?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!