Author Topic: New Aether  (Read 36529 times)

Offline tbone321

Re: New Aether
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2011, »
I don't think of it so much as something being forced as much as they are simply easier to install.  You don't need to run any wires and in some cases that makes all the difference in the world.  I have a few of them myself in a few areas because it would be far to difficult to get the wire to where it needs to be for them but the rest are 12VAC.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline golights

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2011, »
Not having any landscape transformers in my yard, could someone give a description of how power and dmx would be run around my yard using this setup. 
Thanks

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Not having any landscape transformers in my yard, could someone give a description of how power and dmx would be run around my yard using this setup. 
Thanks

Nothing changes with the DMX. You simply do not plug the new Aether into a 120v AC but instead you plug one of these outdoors Transformers in somewhere out of site and run the cable from it to the lights.

So instead of having a power cable with 120v AC running to them you run a power cable with 12v AC to them.

Everything stays the same.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2011, »
I just bought a Landscape Transformer from home depot.

After figuring in the shipping(these things are heavy) it is as cheap as mail order and I can take it back if I have problems and get another one.

Heres what I got :

I believe it will run all of my aethers.

RJ

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2011, »
I have that exact same transformer running the lights on my deck and back yard. It is mounted on the fascia of my deck out in the weather and I have not had a problem with it.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2011, »
This one has been mounted outside on the wall of my house for about 2 or so years.

Opps its sideways, I don't  know how to rotate it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, by TheBanker »
Will

Offline golights

« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2011, »
  Will  the Aether use a pigtail or a fixture mounted connector for power?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2011, »
It will be up to the User but I think I am going to use the water proof three pin connectors from Ray. I will Just cut off one lead and use two of them for power. I can get two pigtails for DMX and two wires for power into the black box on the back of the light housing using the existing watertight fittings so I am going this way as to not drill holes in the case to bring it in.

RJ

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2011, »
For the power I think I would just use the same connectors as on landscape lighting.  They pinch onto the wire without having to cut it, waterproof connection, and can be removed.  I posted another pic of the transformer in the back, but straight this time.  I think these are 600 watts???

Will

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2011, »
I believe it will run all of my aethers.

RJ

How many is ALL???

Mike

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2011, »
It is only an estimate but expect you need 30 watts per aether as a rule of thumb. None of this is even tested yet so everyone rushing out to get them have been warned. Once I have the prototype working I will know more but I have to wait on PCB's as normal so waiting its is. I did have the machine shop make me a number of the heatsinks since I need some and the beta testers will need some.

RJ

Offline SGInut

Possible new feature
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2011, »
Since this is moving more into the category of landscape lighting (kick-butt landscape lighting that is), would it be conceivable to (using DMX) toggle the light from a show mode (where DMX data controls the lights) to a landscape mode where you pre-define the color and intensity and whenever power is applied it will turn on using those settings?  That way during the non-show(s) season, you can adjust the color and intensity then not have to rely on a controller.  Aether I does include the jumper/switch for work light override but didn't allow for setting the color or intensity (other than for a firmware hack from what I can tell).  I like to change up my house up lights for the non-show holidays to different colors but don't really want to have to rely upon a PC to always be operational to do this.  It would also allow for after a show completes for the evening, to put the lights in a non-show setting then power off the computer and rely upon the transformer to work it's tried and tested dusk/dawn mojo magick.

As an aside; RJ this is totally awesome work your doing for the community and I can't thank you enough.  Your really bringing us hobbyists into the big leagues without the fear of failure and the high-cost of playing.  I can't wait to convert all my show equipment over to DMX control this year... something I would have never considered I could achieve before now.

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2011, »
My first instinct was "no, I like my equipment self contained".  However, I believe a notion of eliminating exposed 115 out of the yard is good.  After this year,  the only thing left on 115 will be my "strobes" running of a LE.   I'm hoping that someting comes out that is good as a nice 115 AC strobe that I can power from  LV power and DMX.
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2011, »
Update on progress, It has been slow as I have a firmware bug I am chasing on the SSC's as well as adding the null node ability asked for in the conference call.

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2011, »
Nice !!

Looks super easy to build and tons of light

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required