Author Topic: Strobe light controller?  (Read 1748 times)

Offline MSL

• So many lights, so little time!
    • 26streetlights
Strobe light controller?
« on: May 20, 2011, »
Can this controller be used as and a strobe light controller or would it  <md..  ?

If so what kind of light would I use?

Thanks for any input.
Holiday Lights in Plantation, Florida

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Our show can be seen on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Strobe light controller?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, »
it would need to be able to operate on a low voltage DC current.
a lot of the strobes i've seen fit into a c7, or c9 socket, and run on 120v AC.

I'm sure there are ones that run on 12v, b/c they have them on emergency vehicles, but i havent found any yet.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, »
One of our suppliers at work gave me 5 of these to play with - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They are for emergency vehicles. I have not opened them up to try yet, but I plan on using them with my Halloween display and a MR16.
I'll try to get them tested in a few days.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline MSL

• So many lights, so little time!
    • 26streetlights
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, »
How about LED’s?

Make 16 strings of 10 large LED's spaced 2-3 feet apart with resistors to reduce the current from 12 volt DC to what the LED can use?

The string might cost what... $20.00. Granted they might not be as bright as the 120 volt ones that cost $7.00 each.

16 strings of lights used as strobes, going off at different times. Could it work? Would it be worth while?

How big of an LED could I buy to use and how bright would they be?

I am also looking at the 12 volt LED strobe lights on ebay moters. I don't know the voltgage the controllers kick out to the led's.

I don't know how to make it work; I just think of these things!
Holiday Lights in Plantation, Florida

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Our show can be seen on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, »
The controller outputs whatever voltage you input to it. So if you connect it to 12 volt power supply it will output 12 volts and if you connect it to a 24 volt power supply it will output 24 volts.

You can certainly connect a string LEDs to it you just need to supply the correct input voltage for the LEDs you are using and make sure that you do not exceed the maximum current per channel or the maximum total current for all channels.