Author Topic: Finished first CoroFlake....  (Read 5674 times)

Offline tng5737

Finished first CoroFlake....
« on: May 20, 2011, »
I have completed my first CoroFlake using the Smart String Metal-Backed squares.  It is being driven by a TH2010 controller and is NOT sequenced by LSP or Vixen since don't have my SSCs or hubs yet.   The flake has five legs containing 9 squares each. (45 total).  Originally I was going to make it one string of 45 but the Whites were off-color after abt 26 nodes due to the voltage drop.  I re-wired it so that each leg has its power tied back to the power supply.  Only the data line runs continuously through-out the 45 nodes.
Here is a video a made of some of the rtns the TH2010 had applied tothe CoroFlake.   Actually the flake is sideways in the video with the bottom being to the right of the screen.  I had to do this in order to get it all in the frame.   The camera I used is a Kodak Zi8.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline coachers

• Coachers
Re: Finished first CoroFlake....
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, »

That is absolutely awesome!

May you have Good Health...
Great Wealth.....
And your stein never be empty.

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, »
Looks great what controller did you use? Also which LEDS?

Mike
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, by mmais68569 »

Offline tng5737

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, »
I'm not sure, but I may have already posted these details -

Here are the instructions for my wiring - refer to the photo.

There are 9 square modules in each leg.  I spliced lengths of wire to better center the squares into each 'petal' (don't know what else to call them).

Here is the layout (refer to picture):
1) Between squares 1,2,3,4 -normal spacing
2) Between squares 4,5,6,7,8,9 - add  a 10" length of wire  (could probably shorten, but I wanted plenty of room)
3) After square 9 - Take 20" of wire and attach it to square one of the next leg.
4) (see arrow) -  Separate the red, blue and green wires.
5) Connect the other end of the GREEN wire to sq 9.     ONLY the GREEN data wire connects between sq 9 and sq 1 of the next leg.
6) the Red (V+) and Blue (Gnd) wires are tied back to the power supply
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, by tng5737 »

Offline Pete

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, »
That is truly awesome!!

I just got two of the coroflakes the other day.  This weekend I am planning on building them depending on the honey-do list.
I plan to use the rectangle modules.  I suppose that I could follow your plan there's not much difference except the shape of the modules.

Great JOB!!!!!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, »
Really Nice Job!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, »
Really real nice job!  I want to do this on my 2nd floor roof.  Thank you for sharing.

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, »
It does look really cool. Might have to invest in some of those. Although not sure where I would put them. There isn't a lot of unobstructed view of my house, with the trees out front.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, »
Time to trim the trees. I trimmed two right above the ground. lol
 Of course here in NM we hit a -9 degrees which has never happened in recorded history and they died.  we usually never get below 25 degrees and that is only for a few hours. 

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, »
Thank you for sharing, looks great. So many great things smart strings can do.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline Rbar

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, »
Thank you for posting the CoroFlake video.
It reaffirms that there is no reason to put further resources into the pre-smart string ways of doing things (the vintage look of incandescent pre-RGB Christmas lights will always be appealing).
I hope Light Show Pro delivers the software to simplify this approach.
Rbar

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, »
Was the voltage drop a problem after 26 modules for colors other than white?  I've noticed power use of white can be 2+ times that of other colors.  I wonder if the extra 10" lengths of wire made the voltage drop worse (quicker)?  Nice job, looks great ,good job dealing with some technical issues!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline scharbon

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, »
I am thinking there will be a run on Coroflakes pretty soon.  Looks great.  You are making me rethink what I want to do with my SSC and hubs.  Think I'll go putter in the garage and think it over for a while.  Thanks for sharing the video.

Steve 

Offline tng5737

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, »
The color white was definitely the worst.  I would say that ANY hue which was predominately white would also be noticeable - but you probably wouldn't use those in a lighting display - like a light  pineapple color.   The darker  reds, blues and greens you won't really notice it.
I first noticed this BEFORE I modified the strings but was going to let the issue "slide" but a couple of people remarked on the pinkish tint!  I DID try two different sets of lights with similar results though.   All I can say is to try your lights out first maybe you'll have better results!   I had to cut them to fit the flake anyway so just bringing the power back for each leg was not much of an issue for this layout.  I think that the 100 limit mentioned in the wiki probably speaks more the the current issue of the wire and controllers than it does about color correctness.   I definitely wouldn't  plan on using 100 of these on one string though without some power injection.
I took a photo of some un-modified strings - had to cover the lights with paper towel to decrease the light for the camera.  What you are seeing the the first few nodes and the last few nodes.  In this case I had 56 nodes (two strings of 20 nodes and a partial string).  
Here are some voltage readings"
@Power Supply = 12.11v
@20th node output = 10.19v
@40th node output = 9.31v
@56th node output = 9.13v

Total current draw 1.67 amps
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, by tng5737 »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, »
what power supply did you use to power these?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!