Author Topic: Questions Concerning the Wireless(TX/RX)Ver 2  (Read 3164 times)

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
The build manual looks easy to understand. I will start my first build later today. However, I have several questions (I hope they are not to dumb):
1. Is there a document somewhere that explains the operation (jumper settings, etc.)?
2. Is there a document somewhere that explains the pic programming on this device? I understand that the wiki has general info, but can this pic be programmed on the board? If so, how? I have not done that before and I think that I have read that you can do on-board programming on some of the Lynx hardware. I am using the pickit3.
3. Will you be able to use this hardware for wireless interface for all of pixelnet using the to Ethernet dongle?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Jim Wright
Jim Wright

Offline mokeefe

Re: Questions Concerning the Wireless(TX/RX)Ver 2
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, »
Oops...now see you were referring to the TX/RX board and not the EX/RX board. I'll leave this post with the info below as it is relevant to the EX/RX V2 boards.

-Mike
------------------------------

Jim,

Having recently built a few EX/RX boards prior to the COOP, I updated the manual this week to include the info for the V2.0 board.  There is a section near the end that talks about the jumper settings on both the EX/RX and the LE.

I don't honestly know if the PIC chips in this COOP are already programmed.  I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. Keith can weigh in on that or someone who has one can check. [Update: Keith has confirmed that the PIC's in the recent COOP are already programmed].  There is an ICSP header on the board for programming the chip "in circuit", but you could certainly program the chip outside of the board in the "traditional" way (assuming it even needs to be programmed).  I haven't done any in circuit programming yet, but maybe I'll get familiar with that and add it to the doc.

Your final question will need feedback from others (RJ?).

If you, or any other users, find any issues with the manual I updated or can suggest areas that could use additional clarification let me know. Thanks.

-Mike
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, by mokeefe »

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, »
Hi Jim,

The jumper settings are easy, there is a jumper for determining if the unit is a receiver or transmitter, it is marked RX TX, it is a 3 pin header, to determine what the unit is, put the shunt tin to whichever side you want this unit to be, i.e.. center and the RX side to make a receiver, center to the TX side to make a transmitter.

The unit has the 6 pin header (like all of RJ's new designs) that will connect directly to the Pickit programmer cable, connect it with the unit unpowered, the Pickit will power the PIC, and then just flash the PIC with the hex file and you are good to go.

Sorry, can't answer #3,

Bill

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, »
Hi Jim

I believe Keith pre-programmed the pics for you in the recent wireless coop. You can double check buy connecting the pickit to the completed board and run the pickit utility program and just do a read of the pic.

Q #3, Currently pixelnet is wired only. No Lynx wireless since there is a ton of more data then dmx (512 channels for dmx to 16384 channels for pixelnet)

Now the Ether dongle works on your home network and I don't know if RJ has stated if that can go on the Wifi or has to be on the ethernet.
Wifi = network wireless (totally different then the Lynx Wireless)
Ethernet = wired network in your home ie: your computer cat5 cable to your cable modem, etc

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, »
interesting thought...

IF you "could" (and i do stress IF ) go home network wireless, then you would need a wireless bridge, or an access point set if receive mode to send out to the yard....   
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, »
Which would also mean that you would need to place that device and the etherdongle outside in the elements.  I can't speak for the etherdongle but most wireless access points are NOT designed to be used outside.  But even if you did manage this, I don't think that is whathe is looking for as you would still be using a single connection point that you would have to cable from for ALL other connections.  You may as well just run the cable outside and be done with it and save some $$$$ as well.

Now where the EtherDongle and wireless would work well would be during setup and testing.  Here you could take the show computer out into the display wirelessly and run parts of your show or the whole thing and make corrections and / or additions and see directly what your changes will do and that is pretty cool.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline abrianbaker

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, »

Looks like Keith took care of this for us!!!  Thanks Man!!!  <res.
This is my fourth year!!!
Smart String Mega Tree
6000 Pixel Net Channels
256 LE Channels
140,000 Lights
Controlled by Vixen 3.1, Xlights Nutcracker
"You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, »
Thanks to all above for the quick responses. Here is what I got from the above.
1. The setting for TX or RX I understand. Can I assume that if no jumper is on "unit 2" or "unit 3"  that it works on 1 frequency? And if you jumper unit 2 or unit 3, it works on other frequencies? What about jumping both, does it work on a 4th frequency? I haven't seen anything on this subject.
2. The PIC is already programmed (GREAT). But I can use the 6 pin connector to connect the programmer to if I need to. Has anyone written a "how to" on setting this up for us not so knowledgeable people? If I figure it out, I will be happy to write it up.
3. If we do not have a wireless solution for the Ethernet dongle, then I am in big trouble. I thought that bandwidth might be a problem, that is why I asked the question. My display actually consists of two houses which are across a busy street from each other. I control both houses so that they are completely synchronized. There is no way to get a wire across the street. Therefore I have to have a wireless solution. Hopefully, I am not the only one with this problem. The displays on both homes are large enough that I will have to have the Pixelnet capability. Even multiple USB dongles with TX/RX won't be enough. And next year it will even be worse when I add two smart string mega trees. (Edit) Going along with this is there a way to use the wireless system that LOR sells? I have used it for the last two years. I do not know what the bandwidth limitations are on RS 485 so that maybe an issue.
Jim Wright
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, by JimWright »
Jim Wright

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, »
As far as how to connect a pickit to the 6 pin header there are pictures in the LE manual showing that along with a write up in the wiki how to connect use the pickit3

There are only 3 universes for the Lynx Wires 1,2,3 if not jumper than Universe 1 otherwise the it matches what jumper you set it to (ie 2 or 3)

For more info on the Wireless that would be RJ to answer.

I doubt that LOR will support pixelnet on their systems wired or wireless

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, »
Jim, as far as running pixelnet on both sides of the street. I believe that Vixen had support with syncronizing with another copy of vixen on the internet, so if there was a computer in each house on the internet, then running a pixelnet dongle off each, etc....     

i may be wrong, but it might we worth checking into.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, »
Ok Jim, I have to ask.  How many channels are you going to be using and what software are you going to use to sequence it?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, »
Jim, as far as running pixelnet on both sides of the street. I believe that Vixen had support with syncronizing with another copy of vixen on the internet, so if there was a computer in each house on the internet, then running a pixelnet dongle off each, etc....    

i may be wrong, but it might we worth checking into.

I will look into that.

Ok Jim, I have to ask.  How many channels are you going to be using and what software are you going to use to sequence it?

The simple answer to the number of channels is based on last year. Since I got into blinky flashy 3 years ago (2 Christmases) I have been using LOR controllers and S2 and earlier software. Last year each house had about 144 discreet channels plus 5 CCRs (750 channels) for a house total of 894 channels. So that was a total of 1788 channels for the two houses. I have been running LOR's wireless networking and it has worked flawlessly.

I have looked at Vixen in the past and had real trouble with it. I could never get it to load and work properly. I finally over came that early this year and actually got it to load and run. That is how I tested my Lynx USB dongles when I got them built.

Obviously, this year will be completely different. I have fallen for the Smart Strings and Lynx hardware. I will still be using the LOR controllers next year with about the same number of channels. To that I am adding just 5 each 128 node smart strings per house (for a total of 3840 smart string channels). Therefore, I estimate a total of 5628 channels for this year. Next year I will be adding a smart string mega tree on each house (ouch).

I really do not know, as of now, what software I will be using. To my knowledge, no one really has an alternative to Vixen. And honestly, Vixen worries me (this is not meant to be negative). It has not been upgraded for several years (although I hear that it might be this year, I don't know). LOR's S-3 will probably not be the answer (even with a major overhaul) since, as I understand it, it will not support Pixelnet. The one real hope that I have is Matt Taylor and his Olive Studio. From the looks of it, the approach is great (all of the others need a major overhaul for all of these channels). Actually, I am starting to antsy about the software issue. The waiting for the new software releases is raising my blood pressure. One of my worries is all of the "sequencing" time it is going to take once I find the software that will work best. At least I have my show planned and the music and introductions all finished.

Sorry about the long answer, but I hope that it is at least complete.
Jim Wright
Jim Wright

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, »
i found it!  look at the vixen plugin called "remote client"   if you go to vixenlights.com, it's in the list under "add-ins"

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, »
Jim,
I feel your anxiety.
RJ has shown us a pixelnet plugin for Vixen that will handle 9999 channels. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login He just hasn't released it yet.
Hopefully, he will let us have it about the same time as we receive our SS controllers and hubs so we can get to sequencing.
I am worried about sequencing my paltry 512 nodes and 128 channels. I can't imagine sequencing as many as you have.
I trust in RJ. He hasn't let us down yet.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline rm357

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, »
For 2012 you might want to consider running conduit under the street ...    <;d

6 inch ought to do.

Personally I'm hoping that I can set up one of my bridge hubs in the yard and plug in an etherdongle. I just don't like the idea of my computer being directly connected to stuff outside - too many storms pass through this way and lightning really likes the direct paths...

RM
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA