Author Topic: Connectors for Smart String Controllers  (Read 1214 times)

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
Connectors for Smart String Controllers
« on: May 25, 2011, »
I was reading the manual for the Smart String Controller (SSC) and I saw that they used the 3 pin waterproof connectors from Ray to attach the Smart Strings Pixels to the controllers.

I know that the Cat5 pigtails are included for the the hub end of the SSC but how are people planning on attaching the string end to the SSC?

When I originally pictured it my head I was thinking I would attach the strings directly to the controller, but now I am thinking I should use some sort of connector.

The waterproof connectors from Ray are 10 pairs for about $29 dollars, or 100 for about $120.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Brian
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

Re: Connectors for Smart String Controllers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, »
Since many of my strings will be different lengths, I intend to connect the strings directly to the controllers.  This way I don't need to worry about matching them back up every year or spend money for nothing on connectors that serve me no purpose.  I really don't see a need to make the controller removable.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, »
I don't think you'd need to use them if you want to save the $$ of wiring direct.

To me, I wanted the ability to connect/disconnect SS items easily in the field, so I bought a bunch of
them to enable this.  Like anything from Ray, you have to buy enough to make the shipping worth it.

THe use of these connectors could be beneficial for storage, but I was thinking more for operational reasons ...
like being able to swap out a bad section with a good section ... at night, maybe in a snow storm ... if needed.

Since one bad node or module could stop the rest of the them (down the wire) from working, I will
probably spice in some of these every so often and then if something goes bad, I could
take out that section and replace it with a good one easily and quickly.  I see the use for module based items
more than I see the use for smart string based items.  Maybe just having a spare string is the backup?
Maybe you just cut and splice out the bad node in the field ... if and when thats ever needed.

I am thinking of having giant ornaments (in a mergatree) filled with 2-3 RGB modules each ... I would put
one of these connectors between each ... and that makes them easy to replace if something goes bad
with one of them.  I had not thought this through, but maybe the first section of the item (first ornament) is
attached directly to a SS Controller.  But I think but if you were to use use a connector on the SS Controller itself,
then its all very swappable and interchangeable ... which could be a good thing.  What it first ornament is the bad one?

I think its just another risk vs. reward thing.  Do you want to spend the money or not?  If not, you take
on a little more risk.  But a lot of people don't have spares for other things, so some risk of
failure is always there.  To me, since these items may go out if you get a bad module or node ... then there is an
increased risk here ... say as opposed to use a string of mini lights, where a bad bulb doesn't take out everything.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, »
They are optional my original have the strings attached to the ssc direct.  I put it in the manual because I found many were going to do it and I decide also to do it. The coop kits do not include it but if it is wanted future coops could include it.  the price would of course be a little more. 

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying