Author Topic: DMX Pinouts  (Read 3825 times)

Offline michaelc

• Robbinsville Caputos
DMX Pinouts
« on: May 26, 2011, »
I searched the wiki and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.  I also can't find schematics to do the lookup.  I hope someone here can answer these.  I just assembled 3 TX/RX Ver2 units and want to hook them up.

1) I am going from the RX/TX to a Renard board.  Renard DMX protocol has Data+ on Pin 5 and Gnd on Pin 1/2 and Data- on Pin 4.  What are the corresponding pins for RJ's DMX equipment?

2) Assuming the RED LED is power and the Green is DMX, does the Green Flash pattern mean anything or is it just a signal present indicator?

Thanks
Michael

Thanks
Michael

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: DMX Pinouts
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, »
We really don't support modifying other make boards. Its recommend that you use the TX/RX unit to send DMX to their controllers.

The best info I can give you is to look a the wiki page for adding EX/RX wireless to the MR16, Freestyle and SSR4-DMX boards

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, »
michaelc,

The DMX end is the standard pinout from the RX/TX, don't forget you need the DMX firmware on the REN...
See attachment below
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, by bcstuff »
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline michaelc

• Robbinsville Caputos
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, »
bcstuff,

Thank you.  That is exactly the info I was looking for.  I'm not modifying any boards, just trying to interconnect everything.  And yes, I'm already running the Ren DMX firmware on all my boards.
Thanks
Michael

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, »
Glad I could help...

Brian
-Brian
-------------

2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Offline barbotte

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, »
here a quick question ... i will be runnign lynx wireless to my mega tree but i want to add a ren 24ss to it too ,,,,that cable pin out should work right ?? now this is what i want to do ..i want to have  5 set up like that ...wireless with ren attache to it ....is that mean i can have first set up lynx/ren24ss from 1-16 than 17 -41 ..then adjust the adress starting point on my second lynx/ren set up from 42-57 then the ren will be 58-82 ..ect ect ?? or will i have to change all my vixen order ?? i understand that the lynx can have the chanell starting point at what ever i want ( wicht is very cool ) but will it work the way i am planning or is there a easier way ?
thanks

Offline rm357

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, »
All DMX devices have some method by which you set the start address. The DMX signal is not altered by the receiving device. I don't know about the renard stuff, but if it is configured for DMX, it too has some way that you can set the address.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, »
I had to research this extensively in my quest to use DMX512 with Northlight's Servo Controller.

I found the following pin-outs for XLR cable (3 pin) and the 5 pin as well.  I don't think this will help for your particular need, but it rounds out the answer to the question in case others are going to or from any of the following:  XLR, 5pin, RJ-45:

XLR - 3 pin :
1. Signal Common
2. Data 1- (Primary Data Link)
3. Data 1+ (Primary Data Link)

XLR - 5 pin :
1. Signal Common
2. Data 1- (Primary Data Link)
3. Data 1+ (Primary Data Link)
4. Data 2- (Optional Secondary Data Link)
5. Data 2+ (Optional Secondary Data Link)

RJ-45 - 8 pin:
1. Data 1+
2. Data 1-
3. Data 2+
4. Not Assigned
5. Not Assigned
6. Data 2-
7. Signal Common (0 V) for Data 1
8. Signal Common (0 V) for Data 2

The key is to match pin to pin.
For example, if you are going XLR 5pin -> RJ-45  the pinouts would be:

XLR      RJ-45
----      -------
X1        R7 & R8 (combine these wires when attaching to XLR connection)
X2        R2
X3        R1
X4        R6
X5        R3

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, »
All DMX devices have some method by which you set the start address. The DMX signal is not altered by the receiving device. I don't know about the renard stuff, but if it is configured for DMX, it too has some way that you can set the address.

RM

Yes RM, you are correct you can set the start address for a Renard Device, but the way that Renards handle DMX is not how regular DMX devices handle it. The Renard actually removes the channels it uses and only transmits out the left over channels. Also since the Renards strip the channels if you set the first one with the start address you want in DMX, then any Renards you daisy chain after will continue to consume channels in order (if each daisy chained Renard has a start address of 1). I am not sure if there would be an issue if you started at some random channel. Would the daisy chained renard still consume in order after the first Renard? It should but I think the safest way is to set the start address of every Renard that is running DMX.

here a quick question ... i will be runnign lynx wireless to my mega tree but i want to add a ren 24ss to it too ,,,,that cable pin out should work right ??

First are you running Lynx wireless on an Express then DMX out to a Renard. If so than yes the above posted pinout is requried since the Renard does not use the standard pinout for DMX through a cat5 jack. The easiest way is to make a cat5 adapter with a short piece of cat 5 cable with a rj45 jack on one end and then run the other end to a punch down keystone jack with the appropriate wires to the correct places. Check monoprice.com for cheap keystone jacks and punch down tool.

If you are running Lynx wireless straight into the Renard the pinout does not matter going into the Renard because you bypass the cat5 jack with the EX/RX using the wireless mod. See my other post about Lynx wireless to a Renard:

now this is what i want to do ..i want to have  5 set up like that ...wireless with ren attache to it ....is that mean i can have first set up lynx/ren24ss from 1-16 than 17 -41 ..then adjust the adress starting point on my second lynx/ren set up from 42-57 then the ren will be 58-82 ..ect ect ??

Yes you can run the channels for the Renard any where you want, as I stated above you are safest to set the start address of every Renard to make sure you dont have problems.

or will i have to change all my vixen order ??

Vixen doesn't care where the devices are, it just transmits the data and the device with that start address starts reading it from the channel you specified.

i understand that the lynx can have the chanell starting point at what ever i want ( wicht is very cool ) but will it work the way i am planning or is there a easier way ?
thanks

Looks like your plans will work, remember the Renard DMX firmware is where you have to program the starting address. The first pic gets the start address you want and every other pic on that board gets a DMX start address of 1

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, by bcstuff »
-Brian
-------------

Offline DaMenaCe

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, »
Hey you guys... i am actually trying to connect this Wireless RT XT to a unit that takes 5pin xlr i was wondering if the post above would work for my unit.ii have bunch of stuff laying in the house i mean good stuff, that i wanna use to accent the trees i have outside, along with this rock.. lol. Also i dont have the Controler that u guys r using.. i have this old 6 ch dmx thing with faders?i mean i can always make like the ones you guys have but do i need to do that?? idk my older brother use to use this stuff but he moved on to better thing so all these items are collecting dust in my garage.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, »
Hey you guys... i am actually trying to connect this Wireless RT XT to a unit that takes 5pin xlr i was wondering if the post above would work for my unit.ii have bunch of stuff laying in the house i mean good stuff, that i wanna use to accent the trees i have outside, along with this rock.. lol. Also i dont have the Controler that u guys r using.. i have this old 6 ch dmx thing with faders?i mean i can always make like the ones you guys have but do i need to do that?? idk my older brother use to use this stuff but he moved on to better thing so all these items are collecting dust in my garage.

DaMenaCe,
Are you talking about a Lynx TX/RX to a 5pin XLR? If so then using kgustafson's post with RJ-45 - 8 pin to XLR - 5 pin should work.

Brian
-Brian
-------------

Offline DaMenaCe

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, »
OH bowi!!  Sorry about that Brian. i dont know wat i was thinking but, yes i was talking about Lynx wireless DMX Trans and Receiver, sorry about the mix up on the abbreviation.. thats how u know i m a complete rookie.. in any case Brian, I tried looking the Post from kgustafson but not too sure which one or didnt really find anything, IF ITS NOT TOO MUCH TROUBLE  boss, would u mind posting the link..???

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, »
Kurt's post is reply #7 in this thread.

From the wiki:
  XLR pin 1 not connected
  XLR pin 2 to RJ45 pin 2 (usually orange)
  XLR pin 3 to RJ45 pin 1 (usually white with orange stripe)
(Note that this is the same for 3 and 5 pin XLRs.  Don't worry about XLR pins 4 and 5 as they aren't used in regular DMX)

/mike