Author Topic: LSP Pixelnet Vs. DMX COM Issues  (Read 4577 times)

Offline wftxlites

Re: LSP Pixelnet Vs. DMX COM Issues
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sort of a moot point right now - I just started getting the same type error msg you referenced in post #3.  Tried re-installing LSP  and drivers to no avail.

Using two dongles one dmx and one pixelnet, you must set them to two different com ports. This will get rid of the error.
Make sure you change these under the options menu and also check the controllers output in your sequence. LSP is very particular about this.  Make sure to save the sequence after changing the com settings. One other thing is delete the bad output device in the scheduler.

Offline tng5737

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, »
If you define the LE as Pixenet then the channels will be RGB .   the objects on my LE's are not RGB lights.

Offline tng5737

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, »
No the problem with the COMM ports was more fundamental than that - the usb serial Comm port had slipped to a number above 9.  This version of LSP does not like Comm ports 10 or above!   Once I set the port below 10 - it worked!

In ref to your above post... the issue is NOT with using two or more dongles - I know that THAT works.  I want to use the pixelnet dongle to xmit both dmx and pixelnet data and let the HUB split off the dmx and the pixelnet.   The question is how to config LSP to do that.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, by tng5737 »

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, »
If you define the LE as Pixenet then the channels will be RGB .   the objects on my LE's are not RGB lights.

No, its the selection of "Light Controller" or "RGB Controller" which sets the channels as 1 each (LE) or 3 each (RGB) ... not the selection of the Pixelnet protocol.

Think about it, Pixelnet doesn't have to be RGB.  Its true to most SS items ARE going to be RGB, but they don't have to be.

If you select "Light Controller" and Pixelnet at the Protocol, then its still just a 16 channel LE ... because the selection of "Light Controller" tells LSP that its 1 channel per instead of 3 channels per.

Protocol is just telling is what language you want to speak to the device in.  The Controller Type is telling it whether your using 1-per (single channel, non RGB) or 3-per (RGB).

At the end of the day, the DMX out from your SSH/DMX OUT will be sending DMX to your LE ... and they will respond to the DMX signals send to the addresses you assigned them.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tng5737

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, »
Yes, indeed you are correct - I just did a little test seq.   and it works exactly as you say!  I think the pop-up channel box (which had the rgb greyed out) was confusing me (not to mention a greatly diminished intellect).   
Thanks, I'm good to go now!

Offline wftxlites

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, »
Yes, well said.

Also, you want to reserve first 512 for dmx and 513 - 4096 for SS in a single universe.

I see I'm a little late. Dang iPhone.  <md..

Offline Timon

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, »
LSP is very controller-centric.  It worries me, because I'm not sure how you change configs (LOR term) when you move stuff around on the hardware from year to year.  But there are pros and cons to this approach.  So think about setting up your entire SS Hub (pixelnet) as mapping out controllers into your pixelnet universe (or universes).

New guy here. This is the very reason I'm not sure about going with LSP. What I'd like to see is the ability to design using virtual controllers then have a map from virtual to real controllers. You could then create shows and map them to any controller configuration you need.

I'd also like to have templates so I could import from LOR and map to the virtual controllers. Those templates should also work for exporting.