Author Topic: Dongle with Pixelnet Firmware Question  (Read 3907 times)

Offline wftxlites

Dongle with Pixelnet Firmware Question
« on: June 04, 2011, »
Assuming the Green LED is for DMX Communication on a DMX Dongle, would it be off and never be on a Dongle with Pixelnet Firmware loaded? Just curious as I built a dongle today and loaded the Pixelnet Firmware.

Waiting patiently for SS H/W to arrive. <pop..

Greg

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Dongle with Pixelnet Firmware Question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, »
It still works  ;D

You have to be sending it pixelnet data or it is off.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline wftxlites

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, »
Cool.  I sent test data to the Pixelnet Dongle and it came on.   :)

Thanks,

Greg

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, »
quick help question, i tried flashing the latest pixenet hex (PICkit2 utility) to the dongle, but I no longer get the green light of data....
selected the pixelnet dll in vix 2.1.1 still cant blinky green. Anybody else having issues?
When I flash it back to DMX it works fine, but the pixelnet hex checks fine in the utilty prog but no green data led.

Thanks for all support.
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, »
Are you sure you are sending it data. If the software is not working sending pixelnet then the light would stay off.

RJ

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, »
opened vixen (2.1.1) vreated sequence of 1000 channels. verified both in device manager and in vixen using com 15 ( confirmed FTDI driver for com 15) created sequence, selected pixelnet into sequence- checked then un-checked it
still no green data stream. sequence plays (scrolls through in vix) but no indication of data being sent.
 I tried re- downloading all firmwares, and dlls tonight and tried on 2 different computers. same result. even tried different cables between pc and dongle.

taking deep breath and stepping away now....... 99, 98,97,96,95

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, »
First relax, we know the plugin and firmware works so we just need to find what is different about your setup. Do you have something hooked up to the dongle to test with or are you just going on the led is not on as an indicator of not data?

If the dongle is not working at all then vixen would lock up.

We have had issues where the com port mattered can you change the com port to something under com10 like com9 ect?

If you have lots of com ports is the data maybe going to the wrong one?

The other thing would be the Pixelnet firmware is not right but if you are downloading it from the wiki then Rick and a number of people are already using it so i know that should work.

We will work it out.

RJ

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, »
not really worried, just busy night at work and trying to fire this puppy up. :D

When I load start vixen, and configure the plug in, i am offered com port 1 or 15. When originally a dmx dongle it auto assigned to com port 12. I switched it to 15 in hopes of not getting any conflicts.
Now set at com9, 115200 bps, 8 bit, non parity, stop bit =1  all confirmed in device manager with the FDTI driver.
Vixen output set at com9. With the pixelnet dll selected, but not checked, it plays the sequence w/o green data light
With com9, and the pixelnet plug in set the same, and is checked, it says com9 not found.

as stated before, when flashed with the dmx hex- it works fine ( have green led and drives some dmx decoders) so I think I can rule out the cable/ usb port / dongle board and associated componants.

Thanks for all your support, really appreciated !! <res.

ps just reflashed after complete clear and verify- check sum = 613b
so in theory, it is correct.....still no blinky green. trying to connect to hub (Check sum 811E) next and onto SSC's (check sum=A520) and ribbons....

UPDATE:\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

installed vixen on another machine- loaded all dll's and green blinky has made my night !
wrote hex to hub- no activity either pixelnet or DMX -both jumpers set to pixelnet 1 and DMX universe also set to one.
Flashed test hex to SSC- works fine- but nothing when trying to use utility- 

The work progresses !!! more tonight when I come into work....
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, by wwwgator »

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, »
newer question, I finaly got vixen to send pixelnet data, but when I try to program my SSC's using the set up utility, should I see the green blinky on the dongle? I get it in vixen, but not using the set up utility. I did flash the test hex to the SSC and it sequences through as it should, but I am unable to get the set up to write .....
Thats all for now......Thanks for the help. 8)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
newer question, I finaly got vixen to send pixelnet data, but when I try to program my SSC's using the set up utility, should I see the green blinky on the dongle? I get it in vixen, but not using the set up utility. I did flash the test hex to the SSC and it sequences through as it should, but I am unable to get the set up to write .....
Thats all for now......Thanks for the help. 8)

Is the SS utlility set to the correct com port?

RJ

Offline ronniek

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, »
I am also having a problem getting the DMX Dongle with PixelNet to work and nor sure if I have the Attached Plugins set up right.

If I attach Euttec DMX USB Pro and PixelNet plugins then I keep getting messages that say "PixelNet Comport 'COM 8 not found" first then "Viexn - Enttec DMX USB Pro: (Router - Startup)  Access to the port 'COM8' denied" then " Plugin error - (router - plugins) An output plugin caused the following exception: Access to the port 'COM8' is denied.    Execution has ben stopped."

I'm sure the COM8 is right and the Baud rate is correct.
Do I use both plugins?

Offline rm357

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, »
My ID-ten-T error...

SSC Program Jumper on = program, jumper off = normal.

I just don't know what I was thinking...

Oh, if you didnt get ID-ten-T...
Look at it like this

ID10T   <fp.

RM357
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, »
I am also having a problem getting the DMX Dongle with PixelNet to work and nor sure if I have the Attached Plugins set up right.

If I attach Euttec DMX USB Pro and PixelNet plugins then I keep getting messages that say "PixelNet Comport 'COM 8 not found" first then "Viexn - Enttec DMX USB Pro: (Router - Startup)  Access to the port 'COM8' denied" then " Plugin error - (router - plugins) An output plugin caused the following exception: Access to the port 'COM8' is denied.    Execution has ben stopped."

I'm sure the COM8 is right and the Baud rate is correct.
Do I use both plugins?

Remove or diable the Enttec plugin

With Pixelnet firmware loaded into the Lynx Dongle its no longer a DMX dongle so the Enttec DMX Pro won't work. You can't have two plugins using the same com port. Vixen will try to open it twice and you will see that error.

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline ronniek

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, »
Thanks Rick, I'll do that, I don't ever remember seeing that before but I have a lot to learn.

Ronnie Kelley

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, »
Hi Ronnie,

My apologies for the confusion.

Since the SS is new to just about everyone here (me included). We are all going threw a learning curve. I will try to improve the documentation as soon as possible and maybe some quick videos for everyone.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required