Author Topic: DIY Gobo projector  (Read 10889 times)

Offline soakes94

DIY Gobo projector
« on: June 08, 2011, »
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice or tell me that what I want to do isnt possible, I want to build a gobo projector, my plan was to use a powerful led, not sure how powerful yet though. And then print on transparency material and be able to project an image, I wouldnt need the image to rotate or anything just be there.

I was thinking if I get a led and a lens and put the transparency material between the led and the lens, am I close to getting what I want or am I am no where near?

A bit more info, I was thinking of using this lens You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Steve
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, by soakes94 »

Offline lightsup

Re: DIY Gobo projector
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, »
you re on the wright path . why pay 300 plus for a projector. 3 watts rgb LED and a couple of motors with a mr16 to control the colors and motors rotation.
Just do it.

Offline soakes94

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, »
I was going to use a 20W led? Is that pushing it? haha and am I right in thinking I get my led and attach the lens to it? and then sit the image I want to be projected infront of the lens and led?

Steve

Offline lightsup

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, »
you can use any wattage you like the more the brighter it will be. I think that you re lens will have to be in front of the image that you want to project, like ( led, image, lens ) at the proper focus distance that's where things get complicated focus length and you re case or box will have to be all black inside.
Just do it.

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, »
I'd look into the optics from a slide projector.
/mike

Offline soakes94

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, »
My plan was to build a black box or buy one probably and mount it inside and somehow be able to adjust the lens in and out so that I could focus it. I have a high power led torch and I thought I could pick up a lens and a gobo or something and try the idea out and then if it works buy a more powerful led. What do you think?

Steve

Offline lightsup

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, »
that is a start of course, this way you wont have too much money involved if it doesn't work. like Mike said find your self an old projector and uses the lens from it. it might be a bit more (wide) viewing angle . are you looking into like a spot or wide angle. now I'm not sure and don't remember anymore, I think you can change the viewing angle with an iris or a proper sized hole in a blocking plate in between the image and lens(image, plate, lens) its been 35 plus years since I played with optics in science class LOL. let us know how its working out and pictures would help to see you're set up.
Alan.
Just do it.

Offline soakes94

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, »
Not to sure what I really want, I want to be able to project a charity logo using it and then probably some Christmas related stuff. I need some help with powering my 20W led that I want, Im going to use this led You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and incase the link doesnt work, it says it needs 32-36V at 700ma. Im going to be using this driver You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which has a 22-36V output at 600ma. Do I need anything else? Because from what I know about leds you need a resistor? So I am a little confused haha.

Steve

Offline lightsup

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, »
I don't think you need a resistor as the driver is made to drive the led at 600 ma and the led is rated at 700ma so it might make it a little dimmer but not noticeable. if you can find a manual on the driver and read the specification you might find more info.
Just do it.

Offline robelent

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, »
I have several of these You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  5 watt LED and uses transpancy for the image.  I got mine on ebay for around 40.00.  Not sure you cold build it that cheap.  They work well.

Offline lightsup

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, »
That is perfect, good looking product just what the doctor order. the price is $70 for the projector and $31 for shipping. a lot more than $40. good find do.
Just do it.

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, »
Does not look very water tight/proof.