Author Topic: Renard SS with Lynx wireless  (Read 5498 times)

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
Renard SS with Lynx wireless
« on: June 11, 2011, »
I just had time to listen to the June 9 conference call and heard someone asking about the Renard board with Lynx wireless.

I successfully got the Lynx EX/RX wireless working with my Renard 24SS using the Mod Wireless link You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I flashed my Ren24SS to DMX firmware and removed the RS485 chip (the one at U5) and replaced it with the 8 pin dip socket adapter.
I soldered wires to the specified connections from the EX/RX to the appropriate pins on the socket adapter.
I then connected my Dongle to my TX/RX and plugged everything in and it works great. 
I hope it helps the person who was asking.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Renard SS with Lynx wireless
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, »
Thanks, I'll pass your post along to Tim ... I think he was asking about this on the call.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tthompson

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, »
Brian,

I will give this a go.

Thanks,

TimT.

Offline tthompson

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, »
I noticed there is 2 RS485 chips  (U4 and U5).  Just confirming I only need to mod 'U5'?

Also checking that this mod provides power to the wireless EX/RX?

Thanks,

TimT.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, »
U4 is the output chip, you only need to remove U5 and replace with the modded EX/RX chip.
Power is supplied the same as on any of the other Lynx hardware via the mod chip.

ST485BN Data sheet (same chip used on Ren24SS and Express)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Pin 1 Receiver output
Pin 5 Ground
pin 8 Supply voltage

Don't forget you need to change the Ren24SS to DMX, flash all chips to start address of 1 except the first chip (u6) which gets the start address you want in DMX.
Also understand that Renard DMX firmware removes the channels it uses before sending the rest of the DMX signal out. i.e. Ren24s on Ch 1 -24; output from this board to the next controller is only channels 25-512.
-Brian
-------------

2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, »
Some pics for you
-Brian
-------------

Offline barbotte

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, »
wow i just start fallowing this tread ... is that mean i can run my 4 ren 24 ss after the 6 lynx ,, all togetther ?? or is it just another way of going wireless with the ss24 ?? i am confuse but i love the idea of runnign wireless ren 24
cheer
thank for the picture as i have not complete my wireless kit yet ,,, now it would be awsome to have a wiki lol
cheer

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, »
Yes you could run your 4 Ren24SS off DMX if you flash the firmware on the Renards to DMX.
Keep in mind the Cat5 pin out of the Renard is different than standard DMX so would need an adapter cable for the Lynx Express out to the Ren24SS input.
See the pic below for the correct pin out.

As far as the wireless, I am demonstrating using a EX/RX with the wireless mod to directly input into a Ren24SS.
The advantage is I am already using the Lynx Wireless TX/RX, so with an additional EX/RX I can make a Ren24SS wireless.
This mod doesn't require an adapter for the input DMX cable either.

RJs equipment is very versatile.
-Brian
-------------

Offline barbotte

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, »
here a quick question ... i will be running lynx wireless to my mega tree but i want to add a ren 24ss to it ,,,,that cable pin out should work right ?? now this is what i want to do ..i want to have  5 set up like that ...wireless with ren attache to it ....is that mean i can have first set up lynx/ren24ss from 1-16 than 17 -41 ..then adjust the adress starting point on my second lynx/ren set up from 42-57 then the ren will be 58-82 ..ect ect ?? or will i have to change all my vixen order ?? i understand that the lynx can have the chanell starting point at what ever i want ( wicht is very cool ) but will it work the way i am planning or is there a easier way ?
thanks

Offline barbotte

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, »
one more question to someone brighter than me ..anyone can tell me if i could apply this mod to a ren lsd 48 ??
thanks

Offline steve_hirst

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, »
the firmware would have a few changes to the ss but yes, because that part of the board is the same, it should work the same.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, »
Steve is correct.

The Ren48LSD uses the same firmware as the Renard SS series with some different settings.
These settings should have no affect on being able to use a modded EX/RX to feed signal into the Ren48LSD the same way I have done on a RenSS24.
-Brian
-------------