Author Topic: Smart String 2011 COOP - assembly tips, gotchas  (Read 7460 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Lets put our SS assembly tips / gotchas in a thread.  Here is mine, I discovered last night.

This has been mentioned before, but I think its critical for all to know.

In Step 8 of the SS Hub Manual ...  it states:

Insert the 4 eight pin headers as shown and solder then in place.

Many (not all) of those in the 2011 SS COOP will find only some (maybe half?) of these 8-pin headers in the main bag.

Do not worry, the rest of the header pins were put into a different bag, so look in another bag to find the other (missing) 8-pin headers.

This hit me last night, thought I was missing parts ... and I've read it mentioned in the COOP thread, but I still think its critical that all putting together SS Hubs read this, as you'll also probably wonder the same thing when you get to step 8 and look for those 8-pin header pins !!

Overall the COOP was done so well and so well organized and labeled ... I am amazed ... and thankful to Bill and RJ !

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ronniek

Re: Smart String 2011 COOP - assembly tips, gotchas
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, »
Just getting started building ssc and would like to know can you start with any end of the string on the ssc?

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, »
If your talking about the RGB smart strings ... yes, normally you have to connect them on the input side.

SSC  (controller) -------->  SS item (input)~~~~~~~~[strip, nodes, modules, rigid strips]~~~~~~~~~~~(SS out)

WHen you look at the modules, for example, one end has a Din (digital input) ... and if the wire going it going to that first, then your on the SS item (input).  If the wire first goes to a Dout or Do (on the module, say) .. then its hooked up backwards ... not good.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline ronniek

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, »
I'm useing the Smart String nodes and all I see on it is HRX on one side and an arrow on the other. I can not read anything on the boards inside. Any other way to know?

Thanks

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, »
I believe on the nodes, the input side is the side with large black chip on it.    The input side wire of the SS node should go to the big chip side first.  I think there are posts telling this, because thats how I learned it.

Offline ronniek

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, »
Thanks for the help, I'll try that.

Ronnie Kelley

Offline caretaker

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, »
I think this is an excellent idea for a thread. I know RJ and the beta testers try to do a very thorough job with assembly instructions but since this is such a new product most of may want to take a little extra time going over instructions and if we see something that doesn't make sense ask questions here so everyone can assemble there smart strings with little or no problems. This will also help in the refinement (if needed) of the manual. I know that with the pixel strings (straw hat LEDs) one of the ribbon cables is supposed to be longer than the other and the longer end is what is supposed to go to the Smart String controller. 
Jeff Squires

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, »
I did just confirm that the chip side is the input side.  Its in a pdf for SS nodes under the SS forum.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I also do think that the longer wire is likely the input side.  But if you spliced it, this could becoming confusing.  The big chip is fairly foolproof and necessary to know when splicing out bad nodes, etc.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, »
When I am programming the chip I keep getting E2BC for the checksum of the string controllers. Not the E244 listed in the wiki. Is this normal? I have the jumpers on the W pins and am using the utility not the MPlab software.

Offline tng5737

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, »
That is the same checksum I rcv'd (the hub was 8196).  I tested my hub and first ssc today and they appear to function fine.

Offline rm357

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, »
The strings do have to be hooked up the right way for them to work, but my experince with them is that they are pretty robust - I did not break anything when I hooked them up backwards and swapped the data and ground wires... I did always have the red on the +12 though...

Of course, when it didn't work, I didn't leave it hooked that way for very long...

RM357
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, »
When I am programming the chip I keep getting E2BC for the checksum of the string controllers. Not the E244 listed in the wiki. Is this normal? I have the jumpers on the W pins and am using the utility not the MPlab software.

What pickit version are you using? 2 or 3

I just re-read my SSC with a pickit2 utility ver 2.61 and I am still getting E244 for the checksum
and
E118 for the hub

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline keitha43

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, »
Pickit 3 application version 1.0.0.0 from the wiki page. as soon as you import the file it says that is what the checksum will be. And after writing it is. Downloaded the hex file from the wiki multiple times.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, by keitha43 »

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, »
I've wondered if pickit2 vs 3 would show anything different on checksums.  Put your pickit version in your signature?

I've had problems before where I either put the PIC chip in backwards, or had the ISPF cable attached backwards.  Sometimes I just do an erase, then write again, then it matches.  The erase might be important, YMMV.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, »
I think it is a v2 vs v3. I tried erasing multiple times and reflashing. Now tng5737
reported the same checksum. What version did you use?