Author Topic: Smart String 2011 COOP - assembly tips, gotchas  (Read 7459 times)

Offline batdive

Re: Smart String 2011 COOP - assembly tips, gotchas
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When putting the pipe caps on make sure that they are the right size for  <fp.

Also, make sure to put the cap on BEFORE soldering the wire on.  <fp.

Yep did that one already  <fp. 

Found the best fix was to carve out a slit from the cab so basically the wire will end up being at a 90 degree angle from the pipe, but it works and easier then taking apart a cat 5 cable again. hahahah

-JS

Offline tng5737

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2011, »
I had an easier solution when I did this -  I decided I needed a TEST unit  ;D

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2011, »
The 1 1/4" regular pvc and caps work fine for SSC cases ... if you can't find the thin walled 1" pvc.  It was only a little more $$ and saved the hassle of looking for the special PVC.  It doesn't seem to be common in Colorado, at least.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2011, »
FYI,

The thin wall pipe is called class 200 pvc and is not special. It has been in every home do it center I have ever been to. It is commonly used for irrigation systems to save the cost of heavy pvc that is not needed. It is rated for 200 psi. this is where the 200 comes from. The benefit but it is cheaper than schedule 40 but because it makes a lighter and smaller unit than the 1 1/4 sch40 which is heavier and larger.

Either will work for a housing for your ssc.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, »
One little tip I found out tonight which helped a LOT!!!  for drilling the wholes for the wires in the end caps - the cap fit nicely in a 1 1/4 coupler (upside down) drill a 1/4 inch whole from the bottom (snug on wire but perfect) - you may need a hammer to get it back out (quick tap) but holds it nicely (so you don't) and for $0.55 made doing 60 NOTHING (and no drill press for nice and consistent results) - cut 30 sections of pipe, drilled 60 end caps, and sanded all the rough edges in just under 2 hours (less then i was expecting).

2nd Tip - Add a zip tie to the bottom of the wire before the cap to act as a catch and straight relief.

Harrison

Offline ponddude

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, »
FYI,

The thin wall pipe is called class 200 pvc and is not special. It has been in every home do it center I have ever been to. It is commonly used for irrigation systems to save the cost of heavy pvc that is not needed. It is rated for 200 psi. this is where the 200 comes from. The benefit but it is cheaper than schedule 40 but because it makes a lighter and smaller unit than the 1 1/4 sch40 which is heavier and larger.

Either will work for a housing for your ssc.

RJ

Well this isn't entirely true as it is very rarely used for irrigation systems.  The pressure in irrigations systems is actually greater than what is found inside your house in the 1/2" cooper pipe.  This is because the piping coming into your house is usually 1" or 3/4" cooper (lead piping in older homes).  You can not run that much pressure through SCH20 PVC.  Furthermore, in colder climates the SCH20 will crack with even the smallest amount of water left in the pipes. (I installed irrigation systems when I was in high school...haha ;)) SCH20 is actually most commonly used in home vacuum systems and for airlines in pools and water gardens.

In any event, everyone should remember to actually put the pipe over the SSC before soldering on the wires!  <fp.  I actually lost count at how many times I had 2 end caps and no pipe in the middle.  duh!!!!
Greg

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, »
Well actually we use it for irrigation and the information I posted came from a company that makes it. Like these people :

At any rate Lowes and Home Depot carry it in their stores. I have bought it from them and it is listed on their websites as having it.

So to me that is common.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2011, »
So to me that is common.

I agree / Second and at $1.16 for each case that GREAT!!! (Texas Sales Tax Included)

Harrison

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2011, »
It's a region specific product, since its not sold in certain states, but is in others ... I just checked the HD website for zipcodes in CO, ND,  MN and UT ... and it appears to not be offered/sold in CO, ND, MN .. but was sold in UT.  YMMV
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2011, »
It's a region specific product, since its not sold in certain states, but is in others ... I just checked the HD website for zipcodes in CO, ND,  MN and UT ... and it appears to not be offered/sold in CO, ND, MN .. but was sold in UT.  YMMV

Maybe find someone who is willing to cut it down and ship it  ;)

Harrison

Offline rm357

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2011, »
I love the ambiguity of the English language.   :o

Irrigation...
Out West and in rural areas,people think of farmland and watering crops. For us that live in the city and urban areas, we think of water sprinkler systems for the grass in our yards...

Very different pipe needs... the 200 is appropriate for one, but not the other.

8)
RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2011, »
the pipe isn't available in western PA at Home Depot, but they have plenty of it at Lowes.

so if not at one, try the other...

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2011, »

Scott,

Lowes has it for you...

LOWE'S OF CASTLE ROCK, CO
Hide•1360 NEW BEALE STREET
•CASTLE ROCK, CO
•(720) 239-0355
•Store Hours†
•M-SA 6 am - 9 pm, SU 8 am - 8 pm

-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2011, »
Thanks.  You folks are simply amazing !!

Offline egenoup

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2011, »
<thinks to self> now if only they would purchase it, cut it and deliver it to my door....... </thinks to self>   

:o