Author Topic: SSC firmware update 6-15-2011  (Read 2622 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
SSC firmware update 6-15-2011
« on: June 15, 2011, »
Hi Folks

RJ and I just update the firmware for the SSC

The previous firmware seemed to be corrupted causing lock up of the nodes when more than one color was displayed

We have tested this firmware and it was much better on Vixen and I seen someone post the same issue with LSP

Let me know if you have any problem

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline keitha43

Re: SSC firmware update 6-15-2011
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, »
My pickit 3 says A598 for the new version checksum. If someone else with a Pickit 3 can verify that theirs shows that for the checksum.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, »
The calculation for both the pickit2 and pickit3 will give different checksums. So if it works then don't worry about it. If we can get confirmation on your checksum that I'll add that to the wiki

Both RJ and I did get the A510 on pickit2

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline tng5737

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, »
Rick, I updated my firmware and still have the freeze problem with both LSP and Vixen - although it happens less often with VIXEN

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, »
Just an fyi I saw a freeze problem like you are describing on a couple of the last batch of nodes I got but was only using the little TH2010-X tester. I noticed some of the modules would stop responding and stay lit. It happened always at the same point in the string. I could wiggle the wires on the node that was just before the freeze point and the lights would go out. So I cut that node out and replaced it and no more freeze ups. It may not be what you are seeing but I thought I would mention it just in case.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, »
Rick, I updated my firmware and still have the freeze problem with both LSP and Vixen - although it happens less often with VIXEN

Question: When you use the SS Utility to set the # of Channels/ Mode/ Device type etc. Does the nodes flash or stay on solid?
Does the nodes freeze the very first time or after its been on a little while? I think one of my nodes was heating up and cause the freeze

If solid then its an indication that you have at least one bad node(s).
Like keitha43 said if you see a node freeze or being a different color than its possible you have a bad node(s).

Vixen: When your sequence ends or you stop the sequence, Vixen sends a all stop to the channels
LSP : Does not send a all stop automatically

Hope that helps

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline tng5737

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, »
After config the lights stay on and do NOT blink.  I'll check into the bad node idea - thx

Offline skulldan

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, »
I'm not sure if this is related or not. 
I was able to flash both the test and the (prior to update) SSC firmware.
when I run the test firmware without the program jumper in place.
my string of nodes starts to cycle colors (as it should) but when it gets to white the whole string stays solid white.
with the program jumper in place it does the same.  I have checked for a solder bridge at or around the program jumper and there does not appear to be any.

Also, when I run the regular (pre-update) SSC firmware. when I try to program the nodes with the utility it does not flash but stays solid white.

anyone have any suggestons?
Is there an easy way to detect a bad node? they all light in both the color cycle (as far as it gets) and solid white once it locks there.
Dan

building my collection of blinkys

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, »
I'm not sure if this is related or not. 
I was able to flash both the test and the (prior to update) SSC firmware.
when I run the test firmware without the program jumper in place.
my string of nodes starts to cycle colors (as it should) but when it gets to white the whole string stays solid white.
with the program jumper in place it does the same.  I have checked for a solder bridge at or around the program jumper and there does not appear to be any.

Also, when I run the regular (pre-update) SSC firmware. when I try to program the nodes with the utility it does not flash but stays solid white.

anyone have any suggestons?
Is there an easy way to detect a bad node? they all light in both the color cycle (as far as it gets) and solid white once it locks there.

Sounds like the problem I had. In my case it is a bad node in my string. I tried a second string using the same hardware and the nodes flash using the SS Utility and there was no lockups when the nodes were set to white. So if you can try a different set of strings and see if your problem goes away. Now about finding the bad node. I am still working on a process for that but the oblivious sign is one node is  acting different than the rest.

Hope that helps some

Rick R.

Offline steve_hirst

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, »
not sure if this helps or not but when I was testing my strings "with a controller from ray" my power supply was not strong enough. I changed that out to a better supply, I had no more lockups.

Offline tng5737

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, »
Well, I've spent most of the day testing and trying to make sense of all this.   I tested about 8 strings (4 - 128, 2-100,2 <50)  The initial 100 node string which always  locked whiite during the SS node works just fine on the TH2010 and also another e1.31 type controller.  None of the nodes looked bad or had any obvious node failure.   On the other hand I had a 128 node string which definetely had bad nodes (2 of them) and they passed the RJ TEST cycling just fine - even with the bad nodes.   I have swapped ssc's and power supplies - with no discernable affect on the situation.   At this point all I can say is that just because a string has bad nodes doesn't mean it will fail the cycle test and conversely just because a string does NOT have obvious  bad nodes does NOT mean that it WILL!   There must be some sort of particular node failure which cause the cyclel test not to work and cause the strings to freeze.   
The LSP problem may well be with the PIXELNET Output Plugin - still testing this.   A random seq in Vixen with the same hdw and string works as expected.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, »
Well, I've spent most of the day testing and trying to make sense of all this.   I tested about 8 strings (4 - 128, 2-100,2 <50)  The initial 100 node string which always  locked whiite during the SS node works just fine on the TH2010 and also another e1.31 type controller.  None of the nodes looked bad or had any obvious node failure.   On the other hand I had a 128 node string which definetely had bad nodes (2 of them) and they passed the RJ TEST cycling just fine - even with the bad nodes.   I have swapped ssc's and power supplies - with no discernable affect on the situation.   At this point all I can say is that just because a string has bad nodes doesn't mean it will fail the cycle test and conversely just because a string does NOT have obvious  bad nodes does NOT mean that it WILL!   There must be some sort of particular node failure which cause the cyclel test not to work and cause the strings to freeze.   
The LSP problem may well be with the PIXELNET Output Plugin - still testing this.   A random seq in Vixen with the same hdw and string works as expected.

Ok so that I understand,

This issue is in LSP only or Vixen and LSP. If so can you give me what version of Vixen you are running, and what the settings of your SSC you have set.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tng5737

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, »
Setup Config Util v1.0 settings:  Port: Com 2 (actually Com 10 w. VCP) ; Start Chan 1; USB Dongle;
Mode: Forward; Node Count 128 (varies with string beign tested); SmartString Device Type: String   Vixen v2.1.4.0
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, by tng5737 »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, »
Ok,

I had to refind this thread. Did you find anything out I do not know about yet?

If it is both LSP and Vixen is it possible a computer issue as in software ect. If the controller can cycle the lights then it can control them. The only difference is the data going into it. I thought we had correupted firmware of something else because we had another doing this at the same time but Rick found his to be only one string and then found a faulty node on it he removed and all has worked since.

The test with the other controller rules out string for the most part.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tng5737

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, »
I am waiting to rcv the latest Pixelnet Output Plugin from LSP.  I had sent David an imported (to LSP) Vixen seq.
(Ref: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
Hopefully the new plugin will clear up the "not responding" issue with SS and LSP.   So far Vixen seems to work with the SS hdw.
 I am a little concerned that the SSC TEST firmware seems to exhibit similar "freezing" with certain strings.  However, if the SS hdw will work with VIXEN and (hopefully) LSP - then whatever is going on with the TEST pgm won't really matter all that much - although it would be nice to know why and under what circumstances the strings stop responding.   
The testing with the other controller does seem to rule out the string as you mentioned.
Once I get the latest LSP plugin I will retest and post an update on the results.   
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, by tng5737 »