Author Topic: Confusion re: optional 12v kit for SS Hub & using SS Passive Hub  (Read 809 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
I have some confusion when reading the SS Hub manual ... esp with regard to 12v comments on Step 14 and the comments at the end of the manual (after Step 17).

Specifically, I order the optional 12v kit on SS COOP ... and am wondering if I should install those parts or not.

If I DO install those part, am I obligating to do something different with the Hub, or am I just enabled the 12v output?  Or does the 12V output work regardless?  I'm kind of assuming that since all the parts were in the optional 12v kit, that I either install them all, or none.  Again, the picture in step 15 causes me confusion because it shows just the power connector installed, but nothing else.

Second question, perhaps also related to the first.

If I want to use a passive SS Hub ... and feed it power using SPT2 power cable from the SS Active Hub to the SS Passive Hub ... is this 12v kit required, or just the 12v connector, or could it be done other ways?  Again, just trying to gain clarity here on how it should be done, since the manual leaves me mostly scratching my head and feeling dumb (let the jokes begin).

Also, if I want to use a couple of passive hubs ... how would would you recommend hooking that up to the active SS Hub ?

Thanks in advance,
Scott / taybrynn
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rm357

The 12v kit should ONLY be used with a stand alone 12v power supply.
If you are using a PC power supply, you should NOT install these parts.

The 12v kit generates the 5 and 3.3 volt power that is needed for the '485, pic, and other chips from the single 12v input.

I have not looked at the board concerning the other connector that you are talking about, but why not just use the 12v from one of the other connectors from the pc power supply?

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
why not just use the 12v from one of the other connectors from the pc power supply?

because that is way too obvious !!!   <fp.

thanks, scott
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login