Author Topic: CG1500 Enclosure  (Read 3183 times)

Offline MSL

• So many lights, so little time!
    • 26streetlights
CG1500 Enclosure
« on: June 24, 2011, »
I ordered and received 12 CG1500 enclosures from DF Countryman ($10.00 each plus $40.80 shipping to South Florida ($13.40 each). Got them in 2-days. These were the first enclosures I purchased so I do not know exactly how the box is supposed to look.

From what I have seen in other posts the enclosure is solid with no holes. We have to drill the holes where we want our wires to come out. The enclosures I received from DF Countryman have 7 large holes and 1 small hole formed in the bottom of the enclosure with a piece of rubber covering them (see photos).

Is this the new style CG1500 or did they send me the wrong enclosure?

If this is the correct enclosure it is now “less” water tight then it was. My plans to bring the wires out of the enclosure have gone out the window.  If I were to drill 21 holes in the bottom of this enclosure it will fall apart. If I use the holes in the enclosure I would be opening the equipment up to the weather.

Any thoughts?
Holiday Lights in Plantation, Florida

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Our show can be seen on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline batdive

Re: CG1500 Enclosure
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, »
Nope that is the right one.

I use the far left hole on the left for my main power supply and a jumper wire inside to bridge over to the other power in.

Leaving the rest of the holes to run your extension cords out (grouped in groups of 3 or 4 for each hole).

The far right I use for the CAT 5

Hope that helps.

-JS
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, by batdive »

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, »
How I do mine is use grommets in the bottom, with weatherproof Cat5 connectors. That keeps them pretty weather resistant.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, »
I agree that it is the right box.  I have 10 of them.  The only hole I drill is to put a romex connector in to be able to feed a cat5 wire in and out.  I use the far left and right for the power supplies, or just the far left if only using one.  Each of the others can easily fit 3 or 4 extension cord type wires for outlets.  I have no problems with weather.  All mine are mounted so that the wire holes are on the bottom.  I suspect that there is no need to worry about making the boxes super tight.  The worst thing I have ever heard about (and saw pictures of) was a crawling insect get inside a LOR box and get fried which shorted out 8 channels.  LOL
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, »
I hang mine vertically with the holes on the bottom.  I remove the sealing foam and leave all the holes open.  My theory is that way if water/moisture somehow gets in, it has a place to get out rather than collecting inside.  I've never had a problem in NE Ohio with them this way.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, by cBell »
-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MSL

• So many lights, so little time!
    • 26streetlights
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, »
Thanks for the replies. I feel better now. I did not see the cutouts in the other posts.

We don't have “winter” in South Florida like they do up north. What we do have is a lot of rain and bugs. I want to make the enclosures is sealed as much as possible from both.

Nice job bisquit476. What do you do with the ground wires? Do you use a ground bar or just hook them together?

MSL
Holiday Lights in Plantation, Florida

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Our show can be seen on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rm357

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, »
That is it.
You will need to drill out the extra standoffs or use an additional spacer of some kind for the board to fit right without flexing. I like to use the rubber washers that go into the old style water faucets - a little more expensive than what some others are using, but I don't have to cut or drill anything...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, »
i use a drill press do drill down the tall standoffs, but i think someone on here had a video of using a step drill bit. just be careful to grind down the tall, standoffs, and not continue on and go through the back of the board, or else you'll have to weatherproof the hole you just made.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, »
I live in North Central Florida & have not had a problem with these boxes in 4 years. If you are not real sure of them after you connect all your lights cover everything with a large black trash bag & tie the bottom closed. Not only water proofs it but will hide it at night.

Mike

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Nice job bisquit476. What do you do with the ground wires? Do you use a ground bar or just hook them together?

MSL

I just zip tie them to the cords,

Bill

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, »
This thread has more examples that might be helpful.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login