Author Topic: PixelNet and LOR  (Read 5909 times)

Offline ponddude

Re: PixelNet and LOR
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, »
Alright here is my thinking.

I would map the individual strings to a single controller.  So in theory I would have 16 controllers per PixelNet universe.  With the maximum of 128 nodes or 384 individual channels, that will fit within the limit of 512 channels.  As long as all the channels are within the network I think that would be the easiest way to work the channels.
Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, »
I think that all the combiner does is take the singals off of pins 1 & 2 on each of the four inputs then re-routes each of these onto a different pair of wires so that they can all be carried on one cat5 cable.  On the other end it does the reverse - taking each of the 4 pairs and splits it out onto pins  1 & 2 on each connector.  It doesn't "combine" the universes in any active way!

Yes never really intended to seperate them as the Hubs does this for you. Although someone wanting to send four universe of DMX over one cat5 could use two to do what you are saying.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline johnbullard

• Tennessee Holidays
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, »
I am also a lor user and would like to stay that way as well.

Had an idea on the channel issue. What if one was to use a lynx combiner? The combiner takes 4 pixelnet dongle inputs of 512 channels (the max on an lor network) and then outputs it as pixelnet. Just an iterating idea that could work, if xlights gains support.

Possible setup:

Xlights outputting to:
-Lor network (lor controllers) lor network a
-dmx network (lynx controllers) lor network b
- pixelnet dongle 1 connected to combiner (512 channels) lor network c
-pixelnet dongle 2 connected to combiner (512 channels) lor network d

LOR supports up to 16 networks in LOR S2

Offline Greg Young

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, »
Xlights certainly offers much to LOR/other users! Thanks for developing it!!
I have one concern before implementing it on my end - will it offer input chosen songs to play, instead of the playlist currently running? (LOR refers to one version of this as their jukebox")
I use hard wired input triggers from a couple of my boards to allow users to select one of 6 different songs to be played when selected, during the show.
The songs that the inputs select are stored in the show editor, which is one of the 2 editors Xlights replaces (the other is the schedule editor), if I understand it correctly.
I would need Xlights to allow this functionality.
Does it currently, or if not, is it planned to in the future?
Thanks,
Greg
Greg

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, »
Xlights certainly offers much to LOR/other users! Thanks for developing it!!
I have one concern before implementing it on my end - will it offer input chosen songs to play, instead of the playlist currently running? (LOR refers to one version of this as their jukebox")
I use hard wired input triggers from a couple of my boards to allow users to select one of 6 different songs to be played when selected, during the show.
The songs that the inputs select are stored in the show editor, which is one of the 2 editors Xlights replaces (the other is the schedule editor), if I understand it correctly.
I would need Xlights to allow this functionality.
Does it currently, or if not, is it planned to in the future?
Thanks,
Greg

Greg,

Sorry, but xLights does not support getting input from LOR controllers. It can alter the playlist order from user input, just not using input from an LOR controller. 

xLights uses a BASIC script to control playlist order. By default, it plays the list in order. The BASIC scripting understands serial ports, and you can alter the script to get serial port input. This is what I do for Halloween - my sensors and motor controls are hooked to an Arduino board, which can pass the inputs back to my PC via a virtual COM port. My xLights script controls what sequence is played based on the inputs from the Arduino board. Note that an Arduino board is not required, any device that can read inputs and pass them back to a COM port or virtual COM port will work.

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline Greg Young

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, »
That would allow a good work around, allowing me to run my LOR sequences outputting through X-lights, and not lose the ability for visitors to choose the songs they want to see/hear...
Time to do some reading on the Arduino board...
Thanks Matt!
Greg