Author Topic: LED Status Lights  (Read 2078 times)

Offline michaelc

• Robbinsville Caputos
LED Status Lights
« on: June 03, 2011, »
I just completed building 3 RX/TX units and I'm having some issues with them.  I understand the Red power light should be steady when power is applied (it is on all 3 units).   What should the green light be doing.  I know it is the DMX signal but should it be steady on when a DMX signal is present or does it blink in some programming pattern?

Also,  does the Green LED have different meaning on RX vs TX mode.   That is in TX is it just reading an incoming hardwired DMX signal or is it a status that the signal has reached the radio?

Similarly, I'm assuming in RX mode if the LED is blinking it is 'receiving' a signal over the radio.

Thanks
Michael
Thanks
Michael

Offline ponddude

Re: LED Status Lights
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, »
Michael,

The green status LED blinks when it is transmitting DMX data.  I believe it is once every 2 seconds.  When the unit is powered up it will blink 3 times to show it is a TX and 2 times to show it is an RX.  (I have those reversed I am not 100% sure on what blinks mean what).

Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Michael,

The green status LED blinks when it is transmitting DMX data.  I believe it is once every 2 seconds.  When the unit is powered up it will blink 3 times to show it is a TX and 2 times to show it is an RX.  (I have those reversed I am not 100% sure on what blinks mean what).

This is correct when you power the unit up it flashes two sets of flashes, Either 3 if it is a Transmitter pause and three again or it does it with Two flashes pause and two flashes.

Then a pause and it flashes the universe it is set to.  1 flashes = uni 1, 2 flashes = uni2, 3 flashes = uni 3.

After this the Transmitter flashes off and on when it is getting data sent to it to send. You must send data to it for it to blink.

The reciever only blinks when it is recieving data over the wireless link.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline JZ

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, »
I've assembled 2 RX/TX modules this week (among other bits and pieces) and have an issue getting them into transmit mode.

I've programmed the PICs on both and when I power them up the green LED always flashes 2 times (for RX mode) even if the jumper is set to TX mode.  I've reflashed the PICs a couple of times and same results.  I checked the center pin of the 3 pin header and it is indeed being pulled high (5v) when set for RX mode and low (0v) when set for TX mode.

After it flashes 2 times it will pause and then flash the appropriate number of times for the Unit setting (1, 2 or 3).  So it appears the code is running correctly.

I don't have enough of a system together yet to test whether it might actually be transmitting but I did connect the Lynx dongle to it running a Vixen test sequence and the dongle LED flashes but the green LED on the wireless module set to TX does not.

Any ideas?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, »
Look for a bent pin on the pic or its socket. The center pin connects to a pin on the pic directly. If that looks good hit the solder joints on the pic and center pin.

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ

Offline JZ

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, »
Bizarre.  So I touched up all the solder joints and re-tested - no change in performance.

I then erased and re-flashed the PICs again and voila, they seem to work.  One obvious difference is that before the delay before flashing started, the flashes and the pause between flashes was very slow.  Now it is very quick so something is different.  Before and after results are the same for both units I built.

Also, I get 2 flashes for TX and 3 for RX.

So I'm guessing it was solder related but surprised it was the same on both boards and the odd flashing behavior.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, »
I'm Just glad they are working. Have Fun!
RJ