Author Topic: Partial strings/Red only  (Read 901 times)

Offline Freebird

• Coop Manager
Partial strings/Red only
« on: July 10, 2011, »
Need some troubleshooting ideas.  I have 2 smart strings that are having issues.  I swapped SSC and the issues follow the strings, not the SSC, so I have limited it to the strings.  Both strings are flashed with the SSC test firmware.

String 1.  is a string of 50 ct.  The first 21 strings work as directed and flash red, green, blue white.  The last 29 do nothing.  When I tested the string before connection to a SSC with the controller from Ray, I had one node ( number 36 ) that would not work.   I replaced this node, correctly and assume it is as the nodes that don't light are more than a few before this one and a few after it.  Any ideas where to start looking and what to look for?  I have spare nodes sent to me from Ray that I can replace if I just knew how to figure out which one to replace.

String 2.   is a string of 50 ct,  When plugged into the SS hub I get all nodes with solid red on all nodes.  No flash, no change, just a solid red..  Any ideas??

Thanks
Freebird
One day I will fly out of the fog and all of this will be seen clearly!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Partial strings/Red only
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, »
String one remove the last node that is working. It usually is the bad one. Then on two try removing the first node.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline LtKadeo

Re: Partial strings/Red only
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, »
hi you can try and check the nodes that RJ suggested - but before you cut them off the string look into the solder joint on the node and see if it is bad. I have found on some of my strings bad solder connections/wire strands jumpers on the node itself. If I see this I cut with a knife down to the sides of the PCB on the node and peal back the covering in this section. Do the repairs and test then refill the node with rtv. This saves the string from having lots of splices. I have found one node with the RGB LED the red LED doesn't light and have had a all strings one color due to the 1st node having a bad joint. FYI if you are running the test program on the SSC and for some reason the data line out to the nodes opens up (stops sending info out) the string stays in the last state it was in. So if you move the wiring after it sent all red to the nodes and it is the 1st node opening up on a bad solder connection the string will stay all red.
Hope this helps
Ted