Author Topic: Lone Star Holidays - Academy 2011 - Anyone going?  (Read 11521 times)

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
Anyone attending LSH Academy?

Figured we could do a DIY meetup and chat during Dinner on Saturday and that class class slot in the Attendee lounge if their is intreats (and you don't want to attend one of the other 3 classes at that time).

I will have one of almost everything with me for people to check out and also will have my PickIt if someone needs a chip flashed.

Harrison

Offline steve_hirst

Re: Lone Star Holidays - Academy 2011 - Anyone going?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, »
I wish I could but work gets in the way this year.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, »
Whats the date I would like to go if I can.

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, »
Here you are:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, »
Whats the date I would like to go if I can.

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ

Aug 6 & 7 Would LOVE for you to come.

Harrison
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, by hbomb341 »

Offline dmoore

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, »
I'll be there and will be presenting a three part LightShow Pro training class.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, »
wish i could come, having a hard time wrapping my head around LSP - alot of the tutorials I have read/viewed all are using 2.0 beta I assume and alot I want to do I can't do it 1.8 without a TON of work doing trial and error .... :(

Anyone going want to videotape (if that is ok) for the rest of us to see?  :)

Thanks
Tony

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, »
Yes, I will be there. Might bring an xLights demo if anyone is interested.

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, »
Definitely be interested in the xLights demo Matt.

I'll be there, teaching a couple of classes as well.  Wordpress and something about junk from the garage.

Should be another great LSH Academy.

Ron

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, »
I'll be there.  All reserved and driving down Friday.

Offline dmoore

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, »
alot of the tutorials I have read/viewed all are using 2.0 beta I assume and alot I want to do I can't do it 1.8 without a TON of work doing trial and error .... :(

There are only two videos that I know of that show 2.0 "in action".  The majority of the features and methods in 1.8 and eariler will apply to LSP 2.0.  Look around at these videos:

Generally for paid "minis" there is not a video of the classes though sometimes instructors will release their slide decks.

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, »

Generally for paid "minis" there is not a video of the classes though sometimes instructors will release their slide decks.

Before this blows up (typically does - I have helped plan several of these and it comes up every year - I am not the spokes person for this just spent a TON of time nodding on this) - there is NO restriction on this but more of a technical and logistical.  LSH has a basic idea of EACH instructor (unlike some events) has the rights to THEIR presentations so each one can make the call the distribute or not.

As someone who has taught multiple times and has also tried to think of a solution to provide the material without a DEDICATED person (who wouldn't be able to enjoy the Academy) doing it per class room. It isn't as easy as some people like to think "Toss a Cameria up in the back of the room" - the speaker ideally is mic'ed or dubs the audio after the fact - screen and show and tell items really need a 2nd camera capture this and edited in after the fact. Audio levels need to be check on every class switch and camera moved depending on the instructor ..... It also involves instructures being VERY proactive in the way they do things which isn't natural for most people - you need to repeat EVERYTHING that is said in the room so it is recorders (IE Questions) or it get very disjointed. Also the BIG one for me - if you give people and EASY way out to NOT come a LOT will choice it (Yes the opposite side can be argued here of not able to make it, travel, etc .... not in state ....) but BOY it would SUCK to do these presentations to a empty room and you wouldn't be able to get this caliber of instructors and event in no one showed up.  Think about it if no one showed up - there would be NO WAY to do an event like this.  I may be byes but I think LSH does an AMAZING job recruiting some GREAT instructors and try the best to diversify the material each year.  They also the cost is AMAZING for $65 you get 2 meals, a workbook, an AMAZING location (this is the single largest COST), and much much more.  Years before at a smaller location (National Funeral Home Museum) and cost under $40 still AMAZING!!!!

I personally have no problem sharing my presentations but the entire PPT maybe has less then 50 works and is much more of an outline for myself on what I talk one.  Plus IMHO over half the event is sharing and helping other and the social piece.  Just think about how tough it is to videoing your display now add 30 to 50 people in your front yard ... I have always thought it would be cool to do this but no easy to do and LOTS of questions ... Who pays the costs (rent equipment / storage or what not - doesn't seam fair the people their pay), someone monitoring the video and audio LIVE, post editing and distribution.  If someone has the perfect solution would LOVE to hear it and can start working on it for NEXT year (Yes LSH 2012 Academy Planning has ALL ready started) but right now 3 weeks out (plus 3 months out from setup) for 4 class rooms (~64 Hours of video would be needed), and over 20 different classes / instructors unless YOU also want to do it there is no way to do it this year.

Harrison

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, »
Well it turns out that JJ and I will be at the Lone Star Academy. I talked to the people putting it on and they even fit me in late afternoon Saturday for some time to talk.

Hope to see all of you there I will be showing our newest toys off. I think you will be pleased!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline steve_hirst

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, »
looks like I may have worked out a way to go after all. keep your fingers crossed.

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, »
Sweet!  I finally get to me RJ face to face.  And JJ too, this is too good.

You flying the plane over?

Ron