Author Topic: Ordering and Pricing question  (Read 2264 times)

Offline MrChristmas2000

Ordering and Pricing question
« on: July 15, 2011, »
I have read just about every post on this thread and have decided to go forward with getting some LEDs.

I would like to know if anybody requested an advanced product quote from Ray?

Did he discount any of the product items any at all? What level did you have to order to get the discount?

If you got a break on your shipping cost was it very significant?

I received a quote and there was no discounting of the product components at all. This group should be ordering significant enough product quantities from him and I would expect some consideration from that.

Since it's really hard to calculate shipping cost from his site I just took the single unit shipping cost from each of the items I wanted to order and summed that up as a base shipping cost for an order. The difference from that number to what I was quoted as shipping was from $187.55 discounted down to $148.00. That seems a little high for freight cost or is my numbers inline with the experience of others?

Tom

Offline jeffcoast

Re: Ordering and Pricing question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, »
I was under the impression that the items were discounted with the links RJ posted. I have looked at other similar items on Ray's site and the prices seem higher for similar products. Shipping on the other hand always seemed excessive to me, especially for small items, but I don't normally direct order things from China to compare it to.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, »
I sent Ray an email of what I wanted and quantities. He set up a private web page on his site where I could order one package that was exactly what I had sent.  He did not separate out the individual prices or the shipping, just a total price with free shipping. The overall price was significantly lower in total than the web site was.

I would recommend you send him an email of what you want and get a final price from him directly.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, »
I did the same as Smartcontrols. Ray will set up a special quote for you and the freight will be a lot less.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, »
I sent him a quote request directly.

He never mentioned anything about a private page to order from.

He did have a error on his quote when I summed up the prices his total price was off somewhat higher than my excel spread sheet.

Here's what I am ordering:
19   75 node LED pixel string
6   TM1804 IC led pixel module, DC12V input;20pcs a string
1   100m/lot;3pin cable for RGB color led strip&module,20AWG,100m long (328 feet)
1   100m/lot;4pin cable for RGB color led strip, 100m long
1   TH2010 series LED pixel remote controller,support TM1803,TM1804,TM1809,TM1812IC.
1   12V/10A/120W power adaptor;table-on type;100-240VAC input;CE UL approved
1   12V/6A/72W power adaptor;table-on type; 100-240VAC input;CE UL approved
7   10pcs/lot3 Core White Waterproof Line,15cm long (6in)each; male and female

He quoted shipping of $148. Does that seem resonable?

Tom

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, »
I think that the issue that you have is weight.  Your order is going to be heavy.  Ray can gfet creative in packaging to keep the size down and save some money their but there is not much he can so about the weight and comming from china, heavy gets expensive.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, »
According to the site, just the 19 of the 75 ct nodes cost as much as your whole order shipped.

Not saying it is cheap, just saying he adjusted it.

-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
According to the site, just the 19 of the 75 ct nodes cost as much as your whole order shipped.

Not saying it is cheap, just saying he adjusted it.

I understand the weight angle. DHL is also a premium level shipper from that area. If he would ship via HK or China post the shipping should be signifinantly less. I am going to explore it with him. The downside might be insurance.

Just for an example shipping the small 12volt power supplies individual shipping seems to be quite out of line compared to other China and Hong Kong sellers.

I also understand the Chinese and how they expect negotiations. I lived in HK for about a year. The first price is usually a starting point and they expect you to ask for lower prices. If you paid the prices things are marked in a HK shop you have made that sellers day. They just expect and have signifiant margin built into their price to make a good profit.

I just want to see if those that have already ordered see this as a comparable shipping cost or not.

Thanks,

Tom

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, »
People are using DHL because you will get the item in less than a week which means that they fly it over and that costs money.  Form what I heard (and I could be wrong), China post can take weeks to over a month to get it here.  That sounds to me like they are using cargo ships to do it and by the time it gets into a container, put on a ship, gets unloaded in the US, clears US customs and gets transfered to a US delivery company for delivery, then a few weeks seems quick.  While it is cheep to use them, it is not fast.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, »
You are probably correct about the delivery time. I am not in a real big hurry since there seems to be a few more bugs to work out and I am in the middle of a big project that is taking a lot of my time.

I did work up the weight of my order and it came out to be about 45lbs. That is a pretty significant amount of weight for the package.

I am going to ask if there are alternatives just to see what he proposes.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, »
Cool, please let us know what you find out.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I did the same as Smartcontrols. Ray will set up a special quote for you and the freight will be a lot less.

John

Did that special site still let you go through the escro payment process?

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, »

[/quote]

Did that special site still let you go through the escro payment process?
[/quote]
Yes.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, »
yes it will, I see lots of custom quotes on there for other people.   The escrow is a required option to use the site for the sellers....

Just waiting for mine to ship :)

Myk

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, »
using a slow shipping method is not good for you the buyer, b/c you usually recieve your item, with like a week, or a few days left on the countdown for the seller to automatically get the money.

plus, the cheaper the shippng, the poorer tracking systems used. I had ordered things in the past, that when they finally came to my door, was still showing on the website as still sitting in China
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!