Author Topic: smart string flex strips  (Read 4471 times)

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Re: smart string flex strips
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
you might consider using rectangles.

Hmmm. Thanks TNG!

\dmc

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, »
I've also thought that the modules as a nice and cheaper alternative.  The only difference is controlling modules as "groups of 3 pixels" vs. individual pixels on the strip.  BUt the cost of the modules seems better, since 40 of them is $40 (40x3=120 pixels) ... and they use significantly less power for same number of 5050 LEDs. 

I'm also happy with how the flex strips look pulled inside a 5/8 ID x 3/4 ID clear vinyl tubing ... but it costs around $37 for 100' of it (online) ... so it adds about $5 per strip, but does provide some better diffusion, wider angle viewing, additional weather and attachment protection and the ability to mount while providing more linear bending of the flex strip in the arch viewable orientation. (5050 LEDs facing toward street instead of up/or/down).

By attaching a pull line to the flex strip and pulling it thru the clear tubing, it should be easy to attach, but I probably wouldn't remove after that ... would hang it or carefully fold.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tng5737

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, »
The only difference is controlling modules as "groups of 3 pixels" vs. individual pixels on the strip.  But the cost of the modules seems better, since 40 of them is $40 (40x3=120 pixels) ...

For something like an arch the 'grouping' doesn't matter much, and you probably wouldn't use 40 rectangles (or 2 sets of 20) .  For example, if you had a 10ft section of pvc and made your arch - you probably want some space between the ground and the start of the string.  So let's say that was 6" on either side - making the total length to be covered by rectangles 9ft or 108"  Even if you cut teh ears off of the rectangles making eachrect. 3" long you'd only use 36 rect. end-to-end - max.  In actual practice you probably have much less than the 36.   Just a note that the 3 pixels in each node are NOT individually addressable but act as one set of RGB chans (3 chans). 

The reduced number of channels really helps performance when programming.   If you add four arches  of 120 nodes (each node consuming 3 channels) in LSP right now - performance is horrible.   I haven't tried it with Vixen, but I have with LSP 1.8.  The high channel counts  associated with these RGB devices really stresses todays programs.  So I look for ways to reduce my channel count.
Just some random thoughts...

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, »
Totally agree with your last comment.

I think it would be cool if the SS Utility could (*some day) allow for something between 'string mode' (1 RGB channel) and say a RGB channel per node (120 in the case of flex strip) ... call it SS group mode, where you enter the total node count and number of RGB groups you want ... and they must be equally divisible (so 120 and 12 are allowed, but 120 and 9 would not be).  You might be able to tweak it using the null node capability?

It would be ideal if you could define say 10 groups of 12, and then the SS utility would program that string or strip to act like a 10 RGB NODE SS ... which controls the 120 nodes exactly as want, just as 10 groups of 12 (must be equally divisible).  Then you sequence it as 10 RGB channels, which I agree is a lot easier.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tng5737

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, »
Yes, you have to offload the cycles to the hdw. to do the grouping.  While it is true that you can create  logical groups inside of LSP and program it that way - the program STILL has to process all those nodes.
RJ's recent demo of the ether dongle is truly interesting since it offloads the whole processing to the hdw.   
he is ahead of the curve - yet again!   
(What's that huge sucking sound  ;D)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, by tng5737 »

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, »
The only difference is controlling modules as "groups of 3 pixels" vs. individual pixels on the strip.

I hadn't caught this before ... so three of the modules is three channels (R, G & B)? And then the next three modules are three channels?

I'd think this would work in an arch, though.

\dmc

Offline batdive

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, »
The only difference is controlling modules as "groups of 3 pixels" vs. individual pixels on the strip.

I hadn't caught this before ... so three of the modules is three channels (R, G & B)? And then the next three modules are three channels?

I'd think this would work in an arch, though.

\dmc

I think he is referring to that all three LEDs in single unit act as one, basically how CCRs are set up.

Not quite sure what you are referring to as to "tight" radius arches.  They dont laterally bend all that much so I would say look at the rectangular units would work and the 3 chs as one I doubt will be an issue.  Just look at CCR arches on youtube for plenty of examples of how it looks.

-JS

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, »
3 5050 leds - aprox 4" is one independent module in the flex string, all 3 leds work together (3 channels)  - so think of the rectangle ones butted end to end with no wire in the middle of them

Myk

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, »
I think he is referring to that all three LEDs in single unit act as one

yes, thats what I meant  ;)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, »
And to clarify the above post ... every single 5050 LED in a SS flex string is controllable (and is a RGB channel/3 channels) not groups of anything ... so for example,
the 120 node flex string (set up as 120 node string using SS utility) is setup as 360 channels of pixelnet, or 120 RGB channels in LSP.  It would be 360 channels of pixelnet
in Vixen.   And you can chase each 5050 LED node independently (if you want, but what a programming chore) ... but if you did this using the SS modules (rectangles say) ... your be having 1 RGB/3ch pixelnet per module ... and when you chase each RGB channel, the module units light up for each RGB channel and each module is a set of (3) 5050 LED(s) in the same module unit.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, »
ok, just so i get this right, in the flex version 3 leds per section, but each can be controlled indv as 3 nodes per section?  but the rectangles are always controlled in the grp of 3 as a single node?

My flex should be here friday so now I am curious :)

Thanks
Myk

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, »
I think if you take a look at my matrix test it may help you see that each node on the flex strip is individually controlled. And that Vixen has no problem sending 16,384 channels.

This test was done at 30% intensity so the camera could pick it up. I will normally run it at a higher brightness and the nodes blend together much better, but the camera just sees one big white spot.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, »
Yes, you have it right. 

Keep in mind this information applies to smart strings and SS items from Ray only.

If you get into regular DMX controllers and modules ... it may differ ..

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, »
I think he is referring to that all three LEDs in single unit act as one, basically how CCRs are set up.

Ah, so each rectangle is one channel.

Thanks.

\dmc

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, »
Right, each module (using SS modules) is a single RGB channel (3 pixelnet channels) ... you mix them to form the color you want ... and that module (all 3 5050 LEDs on the module) changes color.

Depending on the sequencing software you use, they may support RGB channel (groups of 3 channels mixed together) or be shown as 3 channels in a row (vixen, currently).  Software like LOR S2/S3 or LSP support RGB channels, which just groups them into groups of 3 for you, making life a little easier and cleaner.

Note: The real power, IMHO,  is in using grouping of RGB channels, and then running chases (or other effects) on them ... whether your using 'channel groups' in LOR S3 (not released yet) or using virtual controllers, layers or other grouping mechanisms in LSP ... LSP 2.0 is also soon to be released and supports pixelnet, whereas LOR S3 probably doesn't.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, by taybrynn »