Author Topic: Demo Time  (Read 6591 times)

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
Demo Time
« on: October 02, 2008, »
Demo Day 1
       Family room (approx 500 sq foot)  ........    In the beginning there was wood   and more wood     ............

3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
Re: Demo Time
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, »
and then the fun began
Going live in 2012

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, »
AND WHEN IS THE EXPRESS BETA BEING DONE DURING ALL THS UNIMPORTANT STUFF!   >:(

LOL
RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, »
Hi Larry,

Wow you have been having FUN.

I still say there is plenty of room to run wire to have blinky flashy in there LOL

Thanks for sharing

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, »
My wife said yes to flashy,,,,,,,,,,,  but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO   to blinky :)

Larry
Going live in 2012

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, »
Demo Day 3  (day two was taken up by family and resting up for day 3)...     

All of the skin is off of the room.   Wiring is a disaster.  Plumbing (for upstairs bathroom) is a mess,  Air Conditioning will be a major headache,  fireplace.......  still not sure what to do, but thinking strongly about taking the sledgehammer to the mantle,  carpet still be removed (tomorrow's job)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, by vairmoose »
Going live in 2012

Offline Greg

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, »
Larry,

I'm impressed. ...At the durability of that ceiling fan still hanging in there.  ;D

Looks like the second best phase of remodeling is nearly over and then the long haul to the best day which is the finish or is it when the last payment is made.  Unsure on that last one having not experienced it yet.

....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, »
Larry,

What is the goal? Are you doing the work yourself? and doesn't this get in the way of blinky flashy time? Or was most everything done last year?

Leon
Leon

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, »
Leon,  in the true spirit of DIY,   I'm  doing it all, with help from wife, son and neighbor (and the garbage man).    Thankfully my plans on blinky flashy this year were minimal at best with the "plan" to acquire the knowledge and the basic materials  (i missed all the post-season load-the-car super sales)     

Greg:  Demo (and most of the cleanup) should be done by Wed  (although it is possible that it could pop up again downstream).   My anticipation is to  get a load of wood on Sat to begin the reconstruction (again... DIY...  pick out the lumber stick by stick,   load it into the truck,   unload it into the back yard under cover)...   

Going live in 2012

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, »
Greetings,,,,

I hope you remember to embed the controller space with hiding door, and the behind the wall spaces for the easy to string lights through rabbit tunnels...

...and the embedded sensors...

...and the secret moose cave entrance....

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, »
ohhhhh  Keith... you are the sly one...      Moose Cave......    hmmmm    break through concrete blocks under the stairs .....   dig big hole in crawl space......   (may need a couple small sticks of boom-boom to break the giant rocks under there- wonder if the neighbors would notice)    ..   

Larry
Going live in 2012

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, »
Greetings,,,

Larry, you need to roll all your hobbies together, like I'm doing.  Start a test sequence to show the neighbors, with the 1812 Overature.  And if one or two of those loud explosions sounds a little close, that's just good showmanship!

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Leon,  in the true spirit of DIY,   I'm  doing it all, with help from wife, son and neighbor (and the garbage man).

Hey Larry,
     1st off, let me say WOW! Thats a heck of a project to start and complete DIY.  Dumb question, do you do construction by trade?  Thats a lot to take on. Sounds like from your description of how the demo went, you'll need several permits. Plumbing, Elelctrical, HVAC, and possibly structural. Although, to be honest, I'm not sure where you live. Here's hoping your project is a success!!!

Leon
Leon

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, »
Background: Aero Engineer  (only construction experience has been OJT doing home fixups)
Permits......   Not yet,    plumbing is the one that might eat my lunch (before removing ths skin, could not tell what was hiding)...  electrical will be replacing exisiting ratsnest with hopefully an ordered sense of new wire (dang that copper price jump) and replacing plugs & switches, structural...   so far no intent to replace existing major structure... (one short wall being upgraded from 2x4 studs to 2x6)...  HVAC...  ( simple rerouting of duct should not be a killer..  but will have to see).    I've intentionally not checked out the local permit process up to now. 

One step at a time.   Just for a sense of this weekends effort...  this pile is just drywall and woodpaneling removed from the room.    Carpet and potentially reusable timber are in different piles:  (p.s.  that is my son behind the pile..) 

Going live in 2012

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, »
The fun continues:    Todays exercise.   Removing old brick is such a joy.   It crumbles when struck.     (The fireplace will remain... just getting rid of the ledge above and the 6 foot of brick backing.   Concrete block has to remain as it is holding up the floor joists and a fireplace on the other side of the wall.)...   

Larry
Going live in 2012