Author Topic: Aether solder kit bad??  (Read 2509 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Aether solder kit bad??
« on: July 18, 2011, »
I have not yet built my Aethers from last years coop.  I am fixing to build then.  Is the solder kit that came with it still good?  I have not opened it yet.  I thought i saw a posting on hear that said that the solder would be bad if not kept in the refrigerator.  Mine is not in the fridge...it is in a guest bedroom.  Is it still good or do I need to buy another?

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Aether solder kit bad??
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, »
Yes you will need to buy the solder paste. Everything else will be fine

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, »
Yes you will need to buy the solder paste. Everything else will be fine

Cheers

Rick R.

Bummer >:(  Where is the best/easiest place to find this stuff?  I am in a small town, but travel to the big city relatively frequently.  There is a Fry's in that town too as that would be my best guess, but it is on the far side of town.  Thoughts/advice is welcome.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, »

Bummer >:(  Where is the best/easiest place to find this stuff?  I am in a small town, but travel to the big city relatively frequently.  There is a Fry's in that town too as that would be my best guess, but it is on the far side of town.  Thoughts/advice is welcome.

Thanks,
-Keith

I am afriad you will have a hard time picking any up anywhere that I am aware of.

But here is what we used and is what I like.  Find part #  SPE-0012 on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

They will ship it with a cold bag to keep it cool in route to you. Keep it in the fridge until about a day before you need it and then once done put it back.

Do not forget to get it out a day ahead of needing it as it takes a while to warm to room temp and it does not work well when cold.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, »
Would this stuff still be good from the co-op if kept in the fridge? If so, I have what is left from building our 4 Aethers that you are welcome to have. I am away till next week, but if you can wait, I'll ship it then. But i don't know if it's still good, maybe someone else can chime in here?

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, »
I forgot about the fridge part.  Mine set in the box for about 6 months before I built it.  It went well on the griddle.  I guess I was very lucky.  It works like a champ.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, »
In the past, I have picked up paste from Cash Olsen (he sells to the ham radio crowd).  It comes pre-loaded in a syringe.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'd try your existing paste on a scrap pcb; it may still be useable.  As an alternative, you can hand solder everything with regular thin solder and a fine-tip iron.

/mike

Offline gforman

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, »
Just get brave and test your soldering skills, the last two that I build i used my soldering iron, it is a little tricky but it does work.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
  Thomas Edison