Author Topic: Help Please No Response from Dongle to Express  (Read 8005 times)

Offline batdive

Re: Help Please No Response from Dongle to Express
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, »
To test have you tried RJ's Test console on the WIKI?  It makes it easy to test with a small package of software.

Called DMX Deck

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Just set the comport and adjust the ch # you want to test.  Use the slider and you should see the LEDs on the LE respond accordingly if it is getting a signal.

-JS

Offline Dholley

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, »
Hi JS,

I downloaded the DMX DECK Software and ran the test. I assume there are no settings required other than selecting the correct com port and selecting the channels you want to test?

I ran the test for board 1 and at first nothing happened, no lights, then I switched USB cables and one of the mini lights came on and the other leds that I had turned on came on also. I then switched back to the original cable, and the lights DID NOT go off. The cable was unplugged and the lights were on!

I turned the power off to the board then on and ran the test again, switched the cables again and no lights no leds. Nothing.

I must admit I'm gonna have a greater appreciation of a working system once it's up and running. This troubleshooting is getting a weeeeee bit old.

Thanks for your help guys. I refuse to be defeated!

Offline batdive

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, »
Yeah trouble shooting can get old that is for sure.  I just wanted you to have the smallest software for easy testing.

RJ's chat with ya will help as he can walk through a lot easier than posts back and forth. 

-JS

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, »
If you want to try a simple program then just look at the wiki software page

You can try RJ's DMX Deck or Rick's StartPattern

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Dholley

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2011, »
Would someone give me  the details of how to use TeamSpeak. I used it last time to listen but I'm not really confident on how to use it. And do you need a microphone connected to talk, or can that be done by phone?

Do we each have a unique password or does RJ give out the password for each occasion?

Thanks!

Danny

Offline Dholley

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2011, »
Wouold someone please look at the attachment and advise if these are the correct drivers for the Lynx Dongle.

Thank you,

Danny

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2011, »
The driver details looks just like mine

leave password blank

info from the wiki page
Windows Info
media:TeamSpeak2.zip Get TeamSpeak
Download and Install program
Once you have the main screen open Right Mouse click and add a new server
Server Label = DLA
Server Address = tx5.teamspeak.cc:8799
Nick name = your dla username
Leave rest of the options as is
IMPORTANT Go to Menu Settings
Sound Input/Output Settings
Change Voice Send Method to PUSH TO TALK
Select a key on your keyboard active the speech mode, Select non alpha key (ie: Ctrl, Shift, Alt)
Options
Device select (bottom of screen) Microphone (Sound card) external mic
Windows sound menu make sure your mic is not muted
Have fun chatting

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Dholley

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2011, »
Thank you!

Offline caretaker

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, »
Sounds like you may have a bad USB cable or jack.  Try using your second cable and this time use a different USB port and see if that makes any difference. One thing do not change USB cables OR unplug/replug your dongle while you have a software program opened such as Vixen or RJ's DMX deck, it will screw up the communication between the program and the dongle. Always close the program then unplug the dongle. I have had a couple of computers with flakey USB ports where one works sometimes but the rest work fine all the time. The fact that you got the lights to come on indicates there is some sort of communication problem. 

Hi JS,

I downloaded the DMX DECK Software and ran the test. I assume there are no settings required other than selecting the correct com port and selecting the channels you want to test?

I ran the test for board 1 and at first nothing happened, no lights, then I switched USB cables and one of the mini lights came on and the other leds that I had turned on came on also. I then switched back to the original cable, and the lights DID NOT go off. The cable was unplugged and the lights were on!

I turned the power off to the board then on and ran the test again, switched the cables again and no lights no leds. Nothing.

I must admit I'm gonna have a greater appreciation of a working system once it's up and running. This troubleshooting is getting a weeeeee bit old.

Thanks for your help guys. I refuse to be defeated!
Jeff Squires

Offline Dholley

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2011, »
Caretaker;

I used a different usb cable and plugged into a different usb port and no change, no lights.

Danny

Offline BryanV

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2011, »
there was an issue that I had with my dongle where you needed to solder a jumper wire between v10 and the female socket for the dongle.
Cant remember where this article was as a friend did it for me

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2011, »
Not familiar with this issue. Unless it was the USB module that ad a no connect on the power trace? I knew about those.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Dholley

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2011, »
Thanks to everyone that was on TeamSpeak this evening. Initially I thought we had a quick and simple solution, a bad cat 5 cable, I swapped out the cat 5 cables and both boards were working, but it didn't last.

We were wrapping things up and I decided to test one of the boards one more time and no lights came on. 

RJ, thinks the problem may lie some where in the dongle. I Will be out of town this weekend and will check  the solder joints of the dongle when I return.

I will keep you posted and thanks to everyone for their help and support.

Danny

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2011, »
Thanks to everyone that was on TeamSpeak this evening. Initially I thought we had a quick and simple solution, a bad cat 5 cable, I swapped out the cat 5 cables and both boards were working, but it didn't last.

We were wrapping things up and I decided to test one of the boards one more time and no lights came on. 

RJ, thinks the problem may lie some where in the dongle. I Will be out of town this weekend and will check  the solder joints of the dongle when I return.

I will keep you posted and thanks to everyone for their help and support.

Danny

Bring it to the Academy and RJ and others can help you find the problem.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dannyct

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2011, »
Did you make the CAT 5 cable or did you test the CAT 5 cable?

I removed the wirless module from boad 1, no change no lights via vixen, the self test works fine