Author Topic: max channels supported by the SS Hub...  (Read 961 times)

Offline tng5737

max channels supported by the SS Hub...
« on: July 20, 2011, »
I know that there is a current limitation of 4096 due to limitations of the dongle, however what is the maximum chan capacity of the the hub itself?   Originally, I believe it was said that they 'new' dongle would up the max chan to 16k.   I hadn't thought of it before but does that mean that the current hubs will need upgrading OR does it mean that today the hubs themselves could support the 16k channels?   What I am getting at is - if you used the combiner to feed four pixeldongles into the hub - does that mean that you could daisey-chain hubs until the 16k chans were exhausted.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: max channels supported by the SS Hub...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, »
The channels count you have on a hub can be anything up to 4096 channels. You can have two hubs with the same 4096 or three with the same 4096 or you can three with different 4096 channels. So yes if you use short strings you could have three hubs filled with the same 4096 channels to run them. But 16 128 nodes strings is too many channels for one hub. You can run 16 strings 85 node long or any mix 4096 channels or less on one.

I hope I am answering your question.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tng5737

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, »
I was thinking more of using it to say power 8196 nodes off of several hubs AND several universe s of regualr DMX off of the DMX output   - that is what would consume the 16k chan count.  The idea being to run all 16k chans (both SS and DMX thru the hub(s) via several dongles and combiners.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, »
Yep!,
 and if the EtherDongle releases in time it will be cleaner and work easier.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was thinking more of using it to say power 8196 nodes off of several hubs AND several universe s of regualr DMX off of the DMX output   - that is what would consume the 16k chan count.  The idea being to run all 16k chans (both SS and DMX thru the hub(s) via several dongles and combiners.

The good thing is that you would only need 1 combiner and 4 dongles and 4 hubs to get 16K of pixelnet. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving