Author Topic: So who is mapping these Nodes  (Read 1049 times)

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
So who is mapping these Nodes
« on: July 21, 2011, »
Hi All

Just got my first string of smart string working last night.
Head is already going wild with ideas i have zero time to implement.

Idea 1 is to create some software that will allow you to use a video camera to automatically map the nodes on a display item to X,Y coordinates, which can then be used to do automatic sequencing stuff. Like fade left, fade right, or display video to them.
Imagine being able to throw 10 strings on the floor.

Then using a camera and some software to map the positions of them all.

Idea 2
Go really crazy and do the same thing, but in 3D using the kinect and a surveys tripod, which would allow you to move the camear around the yard and capture pixels from different angles when needed.

Idea 3 (Absolutely insane)
Expand off of idea 2 by keeping a kinect in the yard and track people as they walk by and adjust the display in responce.
Quick thought would be a mega tree with a specifc pattern that follows a person as they walk around the mega tree.

Shouldn't be that hard right, just a couple days worth of work.
Boucher Family Lights
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: So who is mapping these Nodes
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, »
LSP has kind of that with out the camera. You draw where they are in the preview and it knows the location in 2D. Then you apply transistions and it creates the channel effects for you.

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline dmoore

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, »
Idea 1 is to create some software that will allow you to use a video camera to automatically map the nodes on a display item to X,Y coordinates, which can then be used to do automatic sequencing stuff. Like fade left, fade right, or display video to them.
Imagine being able to throw 10 strings on the floor.

As RJ mentioned, LSP can most of what you are trying to do.  Here are some additional videos that give you some ideas:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (new features in transition/masking)

Idea 2
Go really crazy and do the same thing, but in 3D using the kinect and a surveys tripod, which would allow you to move the camear around the yard and capture pixels from different angles when needed.

I believe this was what you would have found in galaxia (out of business now I understand).  pixel mapping.  Check the old PC mags for an article.

Idea 3 (Absolutely insane)
Expand off of idea 2 by keeping a kinect in the yard and track people as they walk by and adjust the display in responce.
Quick thought would be a mega tree with a specifc pattern that follows a person as they walk around the mega tree.

If you'd like interaction with your display, Light Show Pro can do this.  An example is here:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, »
This is very powerful indeed and LSP has this capability to generate effects based on whats drawn out in your LSP visualizer screen.   I love that, and have been wondering if LOR would ever do that.  I'm thinking not in S3 in 2011.

But its really only useful, IMHO, on matrix display items, megatrees and/or really dense shows with most/all RGB everywhere ... which isn't that many yet.  To me, too much of my display is still conventional (non RGB) to find a huge use for this, except on a few items like a matrix or megatree.

But still, the ability to generate graphics onto a conventionally strung megatree with RGB nodes ... and say turn it into a spiral tree or rotating billboard with your FM frequency on it ... its da bomb.  I'm not sure, but I think LSP can do that already, using layers and effects (like movie clips) onto those layers ... and then you define the megatree as a spiral ring of SS node channels.  I think LOR S3 with superstar lights addon, might also be able to do this?

I still cannot fathom how RJ did that spiral sequencing in Vixen last year using smart strings on his megatree ... thats like amazing to me, how it did it on his own and without proper software to make it easier.

Again, we are in the first or second year of a radical transition of sequencing software and RGB hardware ... and I look at people like RJ, dmoore, fasteddy, aussiephil, etc. as the true pioneers ... and the software still has some catching up to do in 2011, but hopefully will get there.

But to me, this new stuff that RJ produced and shared ... added spice to this hobby thats made 2011 really really interesting and fun, if not insanely hard and costly.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, »
Near the end of 2010, I did try writing a simple script to parse my LOR .lms files (the XML) and then generate some spatial stuff in the form of new LOR tracks XML.  I was able to generate left-right, right->left, top->bottom, bottom->top and also color centric tracks doing this.  Anyways, don't ask for the code cause it was only me messing around on Unix with it .... but I new that even the existing XML with X,Y coordinates for the visualizer ... contained the information to generate useful tracks from an existing LOR sequence.  I now wonder if generating LOR S3 channels groups and sub groups would be better than generating tracks ... but my lack of XML programming experience limits my ability to do this. 

But what LSP has done is light years ahead of that, IMHO.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]