Author Topic: Pigtails provided by RJ  (Read 933 times)

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
Pigtails provided by RJ
« on: July 22, 2011, »
are these straight thru?

I am attempting to build a temp power injector so I can test SSC and my flex that showed up today so I can approve the escrow with Ray asap and Mouser has some of my parts on backorder to complete the hub...... so .......

I have read the instructions on Holidaycoro on how David did his, orange & white/orange for data, but then he takes the rest of the 3 solid color  to neg and striped to pos.....

but I dont think that is the same as the SCC setup...  what I am understanding is....

1 - White with Orange Stripe
2 - Orange

is data

3 - White with Blue Stripe
4 - Blue
5 - White with Green Stripe

is 12v pos

and

6 - Green
7 - White with Brown Stripe
8 - Brown

is 12v neg

am I correct?

again, this is only temp to test SSC and burn in flex

Thanks
Myk

Offline rm357

Re: Pigtails provided by RJ
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, »
If you just want to test, you can forgo the ethernet connector completely.

When you look at the SSC, there are 8 holes where the ethernet cable would connect. Three are labeled Gnd, three are labeled Pwr, and two are labeled data. Just connect +12 to any of the Pwr holes and ground to Gnd. It doesn't matter which of the three holes you use as they are connected together. Load the test firmware without applying power (the pickit provides power for programming), and hook up your strings.

I have one SSC that I use for testing that I put screw terminals on for testing and that I'm planning to use for another little project that I'll post more on later...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, »
Not to insult or assume anything ... but in case someone else reads this and gets ideas....

I'd be careful using instructions from holidaycoro and then applying it to SSC connections, because a lot of those are dealing with the 4 wire RGB modules and regular DMX controllers, not SSC 3 wire modules and SSC controllers.

Again, I love holidaycoro and they have super instructions, but I'd be careful ... because what works for smart strings, versus more regular DMX and RGB modules ...  isn't always the same ... and I'm sure dmoore would agree to that end.

Others, if your just getting started with smart strings ... the TM1804 tester that Ray Wu sells is great ... and worth the extra $20 investment, IMHO.  Esp. if you don't have all your SS ready to go.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, »
That is why I asked, as when i goggled I found David's DIY way, and also pre-made boards that inject into DMX as well, and the wiring were both the same, but the SSC looked different - hence the reason I asked for clarification.

Its too bad they are different for those who do have injected dmx cable setup already converting to pixelnet and cant use them - but that is the way the cookie crumbles I guess.  I'm lucky - starting out 100% fresh with pixelnet.

The ideal way would be to use the 4 port passive board and just hook the 12v up there - but I don't think RJ has them yet (not listed in the boards for sale post from him) as I missed the coop on them that is just getting completed (I think)

Myk
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, by mykroft »