Author Topic: How many Aethers do you think I need  (Read 2871 times)

Offline shaunkad

How many Aethers do you think I need
« on: July 22, 2011, »
I have a light gray wall 45 X 8 feet and wondered how many I Aethers I would need. I currently planning on 4 however I would like the brightness to be fairly uniform and bright. I know the new Aether are brighter than the original. I would like to here from original owners what they think.   

Offline rm357

Re: How many Aethers do you think I need
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, »
No takers huh.

That's a tough call - especially without an aether (or 12 ;D) to play with.

I would say you probably need at least 3 or 4. If you put them far enough from the house to make a 18' circle (yes a lot will miss the house in the verticle plane) and then have them overlap about 4' of that, you could cover the wall with 3. If you want more brightness and don't want as much light hitting the ground and roof/overshoot, you could drop to 10' circles of light with ~ 2 foot overlap, which would require 5.

I don't know the light pattern for these particular LEDs, but most lights follow a gausian output pattern so that some overlap of the beams will create a fairly even light output over a larger area. If there is a lens that will spread the light more in the horizontal plane than the verticle, that would give you better results for what you are trying to do.

As always YMMV.
Robert
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline JerryPlak

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, »
maybe this video by RJ can help

Aether demo on a Wall
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jerry Plak

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, »
Well finally got to look at all the Aether videos I think I need 10 LOL! Will probably go for four or five if cheep enough six.   

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, »
4 would probably work for you, but at least 5 would be ideal. I didn't use any lenses and the blending coverage is good. My house is about 40 feet wide. The dullness in the middle of the garage is there because the lights are shining from the corners of the garage.

Here is one video from last year. It's kind of boring and I regretted doing it since I've been told by some people that they saw the show, said "That's it?" and drove away in boredom before the next song... but the lights are always on to give an idea of light coverage:

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, »
4 would probably work for you, but at least 5 would be ideal. I didn't use any lenses and the blending coverage is good. My house is about 40 feet wide. The dullness in the middle of the garage is there because the lights are shining from the corners of the garage.

Here is one video from last year. It's kind of boring and I regretted doing it since I've been told by some people that they saw the show, said "That's it?" and drove away in boredom before the next song... but the lights are always on to give an idea of light coverage:

Hey I liked the calmness in your show GREAT JOB
Jeff

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
How many Aethers do you think I need
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, »
<Thread interrupt>

I liked it as well Gary.
-Paul

<return from interrupt>
Leesburg, FL

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, »
I also like it.   Makes a great calming interlude in between two sequences that would be a bit more hectic.   (and sometimes easy does it is the perfect medicine).   

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, »
I liked it as well and if it has any downside, that would be that it isn't a christmas song. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, »

Thank you Gary I like your show and was hoping to get your feed back on the aether count.

I

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, »
I do find it strange that you guys like the song so much whereas it's been quite the opposite from everybody else. Gee, guys... there is no need for false encouragement.   :D

Offline caretaker

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, »
I do find it strange that you guys like the song so much whereas it's been quite the opposite from everybody else. Gee, guys... there is no need for false encouragement.   :D

Gary, I had a couple slow songs in my display and had many people say they didn't like them only to find out after I pulled them I had more ask where they went. go figure... (back on topic) I also like your use of Aethers in your display.
Jeff Squires

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, »
Yeah, you probably only get the few complainers that don't like it. People that do like it probably never say anything.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL