Author Topic: New 3 core connector tees  (Read 2435 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
New 3 core connector tees
« on: July 25, 2011, »
I was wondering if any had seen these new 3 core connector tees and whether they saw some usefulness in them:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'm kind of thinking they would not work with smart strings ?

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline jeffcoast

Re: New 3 core connector tees
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, »
I would think the issue would be if the strings pulled too much power through the controller. And each string would have to do the exact same thing, you would lose the individual pixel control.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, »
I don't think that would be the case. There is a node limit not a connection limit (unless you extend the length farther then the 6-10 ft when you loose the signal from the SSC) . I don't think it matters how they are connected to the SSC. It's in the programming, node #1 will light then node #2. If there is a "t" connection you would have the next number say  # 26.  It won't light until it gets its command.
But some people say thinking is not my strong suit.
 <fp.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, »
you would loose all node control after the T, as the last node before the T resends the data, the 1st node on each leg of the output from the T would be getting the same data, so you could not control each output leg seperate

Offline neilric99

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, »
I have seen these used for DMX daisy chaining where the data and power is Tee'd off to the fixture and the fixture is reponsible for the DMX data channels it is operating on

the SnowVison RGB tubes do this

Neil 

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, »
But DMX is different. In the DMX world the controlled devices have assigned addresses so they can listen anywhere on the bus.  Smart Strings on the other hand do not have any programmed addresses (at the node level). They depend on their position in the string to determine it's "virtual" address. That's why you can cut and splice nodes. Splitting a string with a tee would make each branch after the tee behave the same.

-Mike

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, »
yes, DMX they will function just fine, but I assumed were were talking about smart strings as he was asking in the 1st post....

Myk

Offline rm357

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, »
Even for DMX you are entering the weird behavior mode. Where the wires meet in the T, the impedance will be wrong and will create reflections on the wire. This is a potential source of data errors that are unpredictable in nature...

The DMX signal is most reliable when you have one continuous run from the source to the terminator at the far end with your unterminated devices in line where needed.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, »
to me the only useful version of this T would be the 4 wire version and use it for power output coming out the dmx modules like holidaycoro/Ray sells if you need to run output power in 2 directions (ex roof line or something) within limit of the connectors

Myk

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, »
Thats what I was thinking ... more useful in that application, not so much with smart strings.

But holidaycoro had been using some really inexpensive 3 way splitters (like $.39 each, but not sure if they are still stocked) ... and just using rj45 connectors ... and
those were already real cheap.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, »
Ya David is still selling them, same model as cheapdmx.com and Ray Wu's store - I have one sitting here in front of me.  Nice small DMX module, usefull for what David sells, to be able to be put into whatever your making and just use RJ45 for signal/power injection.

I am going to have to order some of the 3 conductor wire for my northstar to use smartstrings in them to get signal/power from one tip to the other.  Will be able to use just one smartstring controller for the entire 76 rectangle modules I am gonna use (if I remember my count correctly).  It will fall just under the max # the controller can handle.

Got the star sitting here now, just waiting for the lights to show up.  Gonna have to order another hub/16 controller pcbs from RJ here soon :)  Using the 1st 12 of them for a cosmic string Mega tree clone setup at 1/3 the cost of the LOR product.....

Myk