Author Topic: Vixen 3.0  (Read 3713 times)

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
Vixen 3.0
« on: July 25, 2011, »
On DIYC there are two new threads regarding Vixen 3.0

Vixen 3.0 Introduction Series - Part 1

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

and

Vixen 3.x Plugin / Feature Request / Development Tracker Thread

I dunno why there isn't a post from KC and the gang on DLA!?!

:) joe
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Vixen 3.0
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, »

I dunno why there isn't a post from KC and the gang on DLA!?!

I guess you would have to ask them. Might not want DLA's input?

I did talk to KC the other night and told him I was glad they were working on it agian.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline batdive

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, »
Joe, I think it is more that KC from what I have seen has used that forum as his support/forum group for years so he just stays there to post updates.  I couldnt imagine to post/upkeep on every Christmas light forum around.

I am just happy KC finally found the motivation to jump into Vixen again and do 3.0.  Hope it will make it for this year to be a real contender with the current bred of hardware (RGB) that is out there. 

But as promises for a new vixen in years past have been, I wont hold my breath until im downloading the software.   ;D

-JS

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, »
A couple of observations:

*When you visit KC's site, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and click on the the "Support forum and community" button, it takes you to the DIYC forum. KC has always depended upon Brian for forum hosting. From KC's perspective, he is posting announcement on *his* forum, not DIYC. He is not making similar posts on PlanetChristmas or on DLA because those are not his forums.

*There is a really important kernel in those announcements that isn't fully fleshed out: KC decided that the monolithic nature of 2.x series of Vixen was the wrong way to go in the future. The 3.x series is being written entirely modularly -- and KC has developed a team to write specific modules. Vixen is no longer going to be a one-man programming operation. Some people have been named, but others apparently are going to work in anonymity.

The second part doesn't mean that the software will be finished any faster, but it does mean that the development and updates will no longer be dependent upon one individual. The likelihood that deadlines will be met is probably a wash, but spreading the load around on a free application is undoubtedly better for the community.

And, as always, there is going to be an application to update data from the 2.1 and 2.5 formats to the 3.0 format (and probably programs to go backwards as well), which means that you can continue to develop your shows on the application you're currently using, experiment with the new application and decide which one you're going to use for your show pretty much on the fly.

\dmc

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, »
@dmaccole    I hope my post regarding “no Vixen 3.0 news on DLA” didn’t make me sound cranky.  I was simply surprised there was no mention of 3.0 on DLA and wanted folks to know there was news.   I agree that having one central distribution point for information is probably best.

@batdive     Yes, you’re correct, DIYC is his “home base” and I should remember not all blinky-flashy folks call DLA home.  (grin)   I subscribed to the two threads so hopefully I can keep up with the latest news.

@RJ     No, I don’t think I’ll ask, I doubt they wanna hear any silly questions from this ol’ hillbilly.  (grin)

"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline batdive

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, »
Joe, yeah I have some hopeful thoughts on Vixen, as I think KC found the best fix for Vixen in sense of ease of use and smaller learning curve.  Hopefully it will pull together in time.

-JS