Author Topic: couple of nodes not lighting  (Read 1085 times)

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
couple of nodes not lighting
« on: July 26, 2011, »
I bought an assortment of SS.  I only bought one string of 50 regular nodes.  I have 2 that do not light up red after several hours of burn-in with the test firmware.  In general is it the one that has a problem or the one before/after the problem node?  The 220 rectangle and the 20 square are doing fine. 

Ron

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Re: couple of nodes not lighting
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, »
Ron,
I found that it could be either way. I had one string that only lit up half of the string. I removed the first one that didn't light and it didn't make a difference. I removed the last on that lit and it fixed the string. I had another string that had one light that didn't work and when I removed it, the string worked. I would guess that if you had single lights that didn't work that they were bad. I don't know for sure. I can only go on my experience.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, »
I found the same but most of the time for me it is the last node working that is the problem. It is not sending data along.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, »
That settles it then.  I will get out the scissors and flip a coin. LOL

Thanks Guys

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, »
Most of the bad nodes I have had were the last node that worked in the string. I could usually get them to act up by lightly twisting the node back and forth while holding the wire at the base. I can then confirm they are the problem node.

To find the bad node for the white lockup, it is not always that obvious. I cycle the power on and off until something weird happens.
i.e. They should be all red but at node 97 and everything after it is yellow or 1 node is off color. Sometimes I have to lay them out in a straight line because the change only happens for a second before the next color change. When I need to see where the first problem node is located it is easier if I can see every node laid out. This can turn into a wild goose chase, but with determination I can usually find them. I try to mark suspected nodes with a piece of tape and then keep watching for them to cause more issues at least 3 times causing problems, then I cut them out.

I have also had luck with really stubborn "white lockup hard to find bad nodes" using the white 3 core connectors from Ray. By loosening the connection, by partially unplugging the connector, till the lights go off. I then move the connector around a little till the lights kind of go on and off. This will cause the nodes to show give up those bad nodes. I guess the lack of good data connection and power connection tends to root out the bad nodes first.

When I cut the nodes out, I temporarily attach the strings together until I make sure the rest of the string is OK. I have had to cut nodes out in a place I had already cut, re-soldered and shrink wrapped the string together.  >:(
Now I wait until My testing and burn-in has competed, then I repair the string.

Hope it helps,
Brian

-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline caretaker

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, »
I had 2 bad 75 pixel strings and several bad nodes on my remaining strings. I sent the bad ones back to Ray and he sent me back a 75 node string and a 100 node string. A afternoon of cutting and reattaching and testing and my 16 strings are now at 100%.  I did have several strings with the "stuck in white" syndrome and most I repaired just by replacing 1 or 2 pixels but I had one string that after I had cut it in 3 sections I put the sections back in a different order then they were together originally and the string worked fine, go figure. I now have all my strings burnt it and still have 17 spare pixels in case of emergency. Now it's hurry up and wait to do sequencing until LSP 2.x is released or I end up having to go another route.
Jeff Squires