Author Topic: Square Modules - a mod that doesn't work after the SSC, but works after others  (Read 1309 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Ok,

Maybe this story will help others someday.

I was testing out 6 square SS modules (3x5050 each) ... and having no luck controlling them from the SSC.

Nopte: These 6 SS squares are part of single RGB "megaball".  Obviously there will be multiple megaballs on the same SSC
eventually, but just testing one of the six packs for now.

So after much un-successful testing/troubleshooting, I decide to try hooking up just a couple of different square modules
instead and trying that.

So I hooked them up, programmed the SSC to 8 node of square SS modules ... then tried just running the 2-only.  And they worked fine!

So then I hooked (daisy chained) up the other 6 modules after the first 2 modules ...  since I was using the SS 3-core quick connects, so I then had 8 modules hooked up ...
and again, they all worked great.  wow!

So then I went back to just using the 6 modules ... directly connected to the SSC ... and again, they did not work!  argh.

So I go back to the 2, they work.  Go back to the 2 connected to the 6, or 8 ... they work.

So It appears I have at least one Square module (the first module in a 6 module group/string), which doesn't want to work
when it is the first node after the SSC

But when I put that module after a couple of other (after my 2 string group/string) ... it works fine.  The wire distances are all very short,
so I don't think thats the issue.

So I'm kind of thinking this could be a defect in the module, because last night it made me think all the modules were, dead, but in fact ...
they all work fine, but this leading module is the problem and doesn't want to be the first after the SSC for some reason.

Comments appreciated.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ponddude

I am using the square modules on my coroflakes.  When testing them I found that out of all the strings I purchased the squares had the most issues.  I have the pixel nodes, square nodes and rectangular nodes.  I believe the issue with the squares is the acrylic that they fill the squares with.  I think it is too hot and may melt some of the connections on the processor's pins when they apply it.  I also found that if the acrylic is cracked on the node it is almost a guarantee that the node will not work.  I noticed that the acrylic is different on the rectangular nodes then they are on the square nodes.

It really isn't your fault.  I think it is an issue with the material they are filling them with for waterproofing.  Hopefully they can use something different in the future.
Greg

Offline rm357

I had a similar experience. I found the first node in one of my strings would not work as the first node. Put a node in front of it and it worked fine. It would also work if I put a long piece of wire in front of it... It seemed to like 11.5 volts, but not 12v. 

Safest bet was to just remove the node - now for the exploritory surgery... 
Wha Ha Ha Ha Haaah   >:D

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
So I needed to reconfigure my modules anyways, so I removed the first two modules and went with a group of 4 (instead of 6) ... and it works fine now.

I marked the back of the module, so I'll be aware of its possible limit on how I can use it.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tbone321

One thing to remember is that the only node that sees the SSC and the only node the SSC sees is the first node in the string.  The rest of the nodes in the string only work with the node that preceeds it and only sends a signal to the node that follows it.  If the node works well within the string then leave it there and you will be fine.  If a node has trouble within the string then it is junk and needs to be replaced.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline wftxlites

I had the first node on a SS bad or erratic at least passing data to the next node. I cut it out of the string and the string was fine. I tested the node I cut off and it workEd fine alone. From what I understand now it was the output of the node I cut that was most likely the problem. Anyway I thought I would share my first node experience since it seems the opposite.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
This is very interesting to read about.   I could almost see a use for new Lynx product which is the advanced SS tester of some sort.  It could potentially identify and categorize nodes.  The trick is how to test each module or node without having the splice the cord. 

I think what I get out of this is to be prepared for various behaviors from my nodes/modules ... and to not give up on them so quickly, etc. 

This all seems to be a function of poor / inconsistent quality in the production of these nodes and should only improve over time.