Author Topic: Opinions on getting started, Lynx express or smart string  (Read 2686 times)

Offline grussell

Ok, so I am really new to this. I am handy enough to build kits and do the programming, I also have a few local friends that are really experienced. Here is my question. What is the best way to go, 128 channels of lynx express controllers or individual smart strings. if i understand correctly the smart strings do not need a lynx express type controller. They can be controlled from a computer, power supply and a control hub ( not sure the cool name for that piece). So please give me your thoughts, are they price competitive with each other or am I completely wrong in my understanding of how the smart strings work

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
One of the first questions I would ask is do you own lights already. If so then maybe express'. With that being said they are totally different. I'm not up to date on smart strings but I think you are missing a component or two......controller comes to mind. Might want to get in on the express coop Sep 1st. And one last thought is that 128 channels is ALOT for a first time. But I know some people are in the mood of go big or go home. I'm sure this isn't too helpful but others will chime in too.

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
My opinion is that if you are completely new, you may want to go the express route your first year to get a bit of sequencing experience first. I can see how using smart strings right out of the gate could be much more confusing/challenging. Not that it couldn't be done, i just think you will get much more satisfaction out of seeing many show elements being controlled and synched to music transmitted over an FM radio than a bunch of individual pixels. Yes you could do the same with strings of pixels but i think you will get much more satisfaction and confidence to move into smart strings later. Plus the cost is dramatically different.

Good luck and have fun whichever route you decide on.

...and always remember that there are a lot of great people here to help out either way!

-Paul
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, by PJNMCT »
Leesburg, FL

Offline rm357

Hmmm,

The best bet is to think about what kind of show you want to put on and then start looking at the options and cost.

My first year was less than 80 channels of white lights with typically 1 string of lights per channel with a few exceptions... If you plan to do 3 colors on a mega tree, the smart strings (SS) can get you there for about the same cost, but the light output will be less as 1 string of SS will be all three colors while the mini-lights or even regular LED strings will require 3 strings + 3 channels of dimming.

The SS can be run in string mode to simplify the sequencing if that part of it seems overwhelming.

The other thing is that the SS are really new this year. We are still ironing out some of the wrinkles and learning about all of the gotchas as we go.

If you are planning for this year, you are late to the party and have a lot of work to do. Many of the key coops have been done this year, although most of the circuit boards are available from RJ. I'm hoping for an etherdongle coop for this year (it would simplify my setup plans) and some of the new aethers in prep for next year...

I'm going heavy into the smart strings this year (mega tree and mini trees). If it works out well, I plan to go all SS next year.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline tng5737

Why the all or nothing approach?    Since this is your first year my advice would be to start small - you can have quite a nice display with 32 channels ( two LE's)  and many sequences are available for that number of channels.   I would still get a hub, a few sscs and some pixels - just to play around with.  The flex strips are beautiful but expensive.  The rectangles and squares are quite cheap and very versatile.
Taking this approach allows you to get your feet wet with minimal cost.

Offline jeffcoast

It really does depend on what you want to do. Personally I got a couple Lynx Expresses to control some strings that I already own, that will move from the outline of the eaves of my house into the bushes. I then got smart string controllers to put up flex strips to outline my house. For years and years I have wanted individually controllable lights to be able to do chase sequences with single lights. This is the first controller that can do that feasibly, and cheaply. If you don't want that fine control, then the Expresses will do you fine.

I don't have room to put in a mega tree, but if I could, I would build one of those with Smart String Pixels. I love the spirals people were designing with strings, but wouldn't want the tree to only spiral, and would want the capability to go from bottom to top also. The sequencing would be harder, but it is so much more flexible in making it do different things.

As far as what you need. Everything will need a dongle of some sort. At the moment you can get the USB dongle from RJ at anytime. With each Dongle you can control either 512 channels of Lynx Expresses, or the other non-smart string controllers, like MR-16 or SSR-4. This would also include the Aether or Aether 2 flood light, which I believe will be available before this Christmas. The same Dongle can be programmed to control up to 4096 channels of the smart string controllers, which would be 1365 individual pixels. Each pixel has a red, green and blue on a single LED so needs 3 channels per pixel. Each controller can handle a string up to 128 pixels long. They plug into a power distributing hub that splits the signal from the dongle to each one, and supplies power for the controller and lights from a computer type power supply.  The hub has 16 ports to plug into, but you are limited to the number of pixels per hub to the 1365. So if you do go with them, you will have to plan accordingly. There are also mini hubs available that can split one of the hub's ports to another 4, so you get 3 extra ports per mini hub. This could be used if you want a few controllers far away from the hub, and you would only have to run 1 data cable to them, plus a power cable.

The Hub also has a DMX output that you can use to control up to 512 channels of the older style controllers as I mentioned above. In your case you could have the first 128 be for Lynx Expresses, then start at channel 129 for Smart Strings if you want to use them. For each Hub you use, you would need a separate Dongle. There is a combiner that would combine up to 4 dongles to run on 1 cable to the first hub, and then you can daisy chain the hubs out in the yard. In the future RJ is working on a dongle that runs on ethernet so it could be controlled over the internet and would plug into your home router. This dongle outputs 16384 channels, so 1 of them would also control 4 of the hubs. And he has let out some tidbits of info of future upgrades, like not needing a show computer to control it and download the show directly to be run on the Ether-dongle. He has stated this will not be ready for this year.

Hopefully that is a good primer in what is available and what is needed to use the different controllers and don't be afraid to ask more questions here, everyone loves to help out.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline caretaker

A lot of good input from the members here!  I think the first step should be to design what you would like to do with your house. Once you get a basic design down you can then break it down into the individual elements you would like to use. From there you can begin figure out how many and what type of lights your will need for your display. When I planned out my first display in 2006 I drew everything on a piece of paper and figured out where I was going to stick controllers and how many extension cords I would need to use to get everything plugged in. I then figured out a estimated cost and compared that to my budget and realized I would need to cut back a little on what I wanted to do. From that starting point I have just added on every year like so many of the members here. One thing that most people don't figure enough of is extension cords, I know I bought a pile of them and still needed more my first year.
In regards to regular lights or smart strings, one thing you have to keep in mind with smart strings is that you will need to have a hub fairly close to wherever your smart strings are. So if you wanted to outline your house with smart strings and do a mega tree with smart strings you would need at least 2 smart string hubs depending how you laid the smart strings out.  Just some things to think about and remember, plan early and plan often!
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
Wow why didnt I think of this...Honestly now I think I am going to do this myself. I was kinda afraid to get into SS this year but might look more into it now.

Thanks.

Why the all or nothing approach?    Since this is your first year my advice would be to start small - you can have quite a nice display with 32 channels ( two LE's)  and many sequences are available for that number of channels.   I would still get a hub, a few sscs and some pixels - just to play around with.  The flex strips are beautiful but expensive.  The rectangles and squares are quite cheap and very versatile.
Taking this approach allows you to get your feet wet with minimal cost.

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
I know it wont help for this year but remember places do mark down their extension cords after Christmas. At least I know Target does as I bought 2 cases of them last year.

One thing that most people don't figure enough of is extension cords...

Offline tbone321

The Hub also has a DMX output that you can use to control up to 512 channels of the older style controllers as I mentioned above. In your case you could have the first 128 be for Lynx Expresses, then start at channel 129 for Smart Strings if you want to use them. For each Hub you use, you would need a separate Dongle. There is a combiner that would combine up to 4 dongles to run on 1 cable to the first hub, and then you can daisy chain the hubs out in the yard. In the future RJ is working on a dongle that runs on ethernet so it could be controlled over the internet and would plug into your home router. This dongle outputs 16384 channels, so 1 of them would also control 4 of the hubs. And he has let out some tidbits of info of future upgrades, like not needing a show computer to control it and download the show directly to be run on the Ether-dongle. He has stated this will not be ready for this year.

One minor correction here.  One dongle CAN control multiple hubs but all of the hubs connected to the same dongle will be operating on the same PixelNet universe.  This works well if you need more than 16 output ports or if the lights are distributed far enough apart that you need a seperate hub.  In my design I will be using two hubs on the same universe but on opposit sides of the house. 

A couple of points besdes this.  As stated before, pixels are a very new thing and there are teathing problems with them so far.  They are not major ones but they will add a layer of issues to your design, especially if this is your first attempt.  Support will also not be as good as it is with most of the DMX stuff for no other reason but everyone here is new to this as well.  Also righ now, the current software makes it difficult to sequence with a large number of channels and the more you have, the harder it gets.  Now there is promising revisions of existing software and new software on the horizon that can make this much easier but until this will also be new and with little support this year if it even gets out in time.  The great thing is that you can sequence without a single piece of hardware so I would pick up or download a few pieces of software and see what is involved. 

My personal opinion is it is better to start small and work your way up then to buy a ton of stuff and overwelm yourself.  If you get some smart strings remember that they also need their own controllers besides the hub(s).  You will also need a programmer as the pics on the smartstring devices do not come programmed and if you order parts for other devices outside of the coops and buy the boards from RJ, none of pics come programmed.  There are people that will program some pics for you but that doesn't work well with smart string pics.  I would suggest that you do pick up some smart string components to see if they will work for you and get passed the learning curve with them.  If you decide that you don't want them, they should be asy to sell off to other members.  Whatever you decide, good luck and have fun.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jeffcoast

One minor correction here.  One dongle CAN control multiple hubs but all of the hubs connected to the same dongle will be operating on the same PixelNet universe.  This works well if you need more than 16 output ports or if the lights are distributed far enough apart that you need a seperate hub.  In my design I will be using two hubs on the same universe but on opposit sides of the house. 
I guess I was being over simplistic. But in your case, would you just be able to use the smaller 4 port hubs to supply those far away controllers?
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline tng5737

The small 4 port hubs are passive and are used to extend ports out to wher you need them.  That is, if you have 4 strings at some distance from the hub then you will only need to run 1 ethernet cable plus a power cable from the SS hub to the passive hub instead of running four ethernet cables. You will still need a SS hub to do the real work!

Offline jeffcoast

The small 4 port hubs are passive and are used to extend ports out to wher you need them.  That is, if you have 4 strings at some distance from the hub then you will only need to run 1 ethernet cable plus a power cable from the SS hub to the passive hub instead of running four ethernet cables. You will still need a SS hub to do the real work!
Sorry, that wasn't what I meant in my post. He was talking about using 2 hubs, and 1 dongle because his show is spread out and I was suggesting the 4 port passive hubs instead of a full hub.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline tbone321

I have 6 connections on one side and 9 on the other so far this year.  I did think about using a passive hub for one side but I would have to shift connection points which would cause me to run long lengths of wire and have no room for any type of expansion or reworking.  I also like the idea of also having two DMX outputs that I can have on the same universe or if needed, two seperate ones.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
To boil it down, I'd probably recommend the 2 Lynx Express to start with approach, unless your a person who likes total immersion ... and are confident in your ability to overcome anything and still get done.  I think only about 20% of everyone can do that in their first year.

If your in the 80% of most people crowd, who find the initial show plenty hard enough, including nailing down your show design, sequencing, show setup, etc., I'd say starting small is the wisest choice and the most likely to be successful.

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]