Author Topic: Opinions on getting started, Lynx express or smart string  (Read 2685 times)

Offline barbotte

well it all depend on how many light you have ... if you have no light then go small as there is no need to have 200 channel if you only have 1000 light...last year was my first year with anymation and i started with 1 ren 64 and 2 ren 24 but i had 14 000 light to play with ... this year i am changing my set up and going 5 lynx.. 1 ren 64 ,,,4 lsd 48 ... and aprox 25 000 light
so it all depend of how many ligh you have ... as next year .. you probably going to change or update your system .. so go with what you have on hand as the more chanell you have the more sequencing you have ..but vixen 3 will be out in septembre so i hope it will be easier to sequence ... my 2 cent
cheer 

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
In my experience you will not believe how much stuff you have to do to put on a show once you get into it.  I felt totally overwhelmed once I started.  Thanks to a good friend with experience I was able to get a small show up and running my first year.  I also put up 16 channels at Halloween for some singing pumpkins,  That was a great learning experience and helped me shake out my weak spots with sound, timing, radio, power, attaching lights, etc.  I have a SS Hub and 8 controllers, but have not ordered any lights yet, and I don't think I will attempt adding SS to my show this year.  I have read of too many issues to date plus the quality of lights still seem suspect and in my opinion the software just is not ready for prime time.  That being said, I do think smart strings and RGB are the future of lighting and I am hoping product quality and software will be substantially better next year.  I would go with 2 LEs this year.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline therealbigjim

A word on starting small. There are a lot of good sequences for 16 and 32 channel set ups. Not having the pressure of programming the first year lets you get a handle on set up and lets you see a show in your yard. Film it and then plan your expantion. You will better understand how to sequence once you watch it play out, then change things to your style and taste. Plus  you will get a feel for the cost. IE 10 mini trees wire frames at  $ 18.00  then 200 lights each at  $8.99 all of a sudden  $ 269.00 for one element of your show. it adds up quickly.... ( and I did not count the cords another $5-9 each...) that being said good luck and HAVE FUN. <;d
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login