Author Topic: Icsp header  (Read 1931 times)

Offline urthegman

Icsp header
« on: August 02, 2011, »
It's programming time!!! Can the Hub and SSC be programmed by hooking a Pickit 3 directly to the ICSP header of each device? Or do I have to remove each 28 pin pic chip and use the PIC interface adapter?  :-[  Thanks,George

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Re: Icsp header
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, »
George,
I plug my pickit directly in to the icsp header.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Icsp header
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, »
no, no, no...

This is THE reason the ICSP header is in place.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline urthegman

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
no, no, no...

This is THE reason the ICSP header is in place.

-Paul

Ok, now I'm confused! no, no, no... I can't use the ICSP header???? Or ........ THE reason the ICSP header is in place is so we can program without removing the chip????

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Icsp header
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, »
sorry...no reason to remove the chip.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline urthegman

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, »
Thanks for clarifying, Paul!!!

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, »
Hi George,

Just make sure to align the arrows on the header like you did in Gatlinburg.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, »
Update! Couldn't program Hub when hooked up directly. But when I removed the chip and used the PIC interface adapter, it worked like a charm. Do the Blue shunts need to be removed when programming pic? That is the only thing I could think of. Now to program the SSCs!

Offline urthegman

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, »
Hi George,

Just make sure to align the arrows on the header like you did in Gatlinburg.

I never got the chance to thank you publicly, Bill took time out of his vacation to program the pic(s) on my V2 dongles at Christmas Expo!!!! Very Much Appreciated!!!!!! Somehow Thank You just doesn't say enough!!!! But THANK YOU!!!!

Offline urthegman

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, »
Maybe I am getting ahead of my self, but, when I hook the power supply up to the Hub, is it necessary to attach anything in addition to the 24 pin connector? In other words, Do I also need to attach any of the four pin connectors? Thanks, George

Offline rm357

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, »
Be sure no power is applied to the board when you program the pic using the ICSP header. The pickit will provide the power needed directly to the pic during programming.

If programming via the ICSP header failed, check your solder joints on the header and the pic. There is not much else on the board except for maybe a short on the power rails or a bad via that could interfere...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline urthegman

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, »
RM, It's weird, but it tests perfectly from the ICSP header, but it wouldn't program from it, and it was consistent across three different Hubs, I tried all three with power first and then without, it wasn't until I took the chip out and programmed it with the pic interface adapter that I was successful. :-[  I programmed my first SSC with the test firmware using the ICSP and my flexible strip is blinking away!!!!! YIPPEE-KAY-YEAY!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, »
Maybe I am getting ahead of my self, but, when I hook the power supply up to the Hub, is it necessary to attach anything in addition to the 24 pin connector? In other words, Do I also need to attach any of the four pin connectors? Thanks, George

Not just to program or test a string. But when you start putting a number of lights on it so the current starts climbing you need to hook the additional 4 pin plugs to spread the load across the wires and connections.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline urthegman

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, »

Not just to program or test a string. But when you start putting a number of lights on it so the current starts climbing you need to hook the additional 4 pin plugs to spread the load across the wires and connections.

RJ
Clear and Concise!

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, »
No Thanks needed George, glad I could help, I appreciate it though. Nice to see you are getting everything working