Author Topic: Power Supply Question  (Read 949 times)

Offline urthegman

Power Supply Question
« on: August 05, 2011, »
Quote from: urthegman on August 02, 2011,
Maybe I am getting ahead of my self, but, when I hook the power supply up to the Hub, is it necessary to attach anything in addition to the 24 pin connector? In other words, Do I also need to attach any of the four pin connectors? Thanks, George

Not just to program or test a string. But when you start putting a number of lights on it so the current starts climbing you need to hook the additional 4 pin plugs to spread the load across the wires and connections.

RJ

OK, My Corsair 650W power supply looks like an octopus!!! There are 2 sets of 4 four pin connectors, does it matter which connectors I attach to the 3 four pin connectors on the hub? Also do I break the clips off so that all three clips can fit? See picture to view clips

Offline rm357

Re: Power Supply Question
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, »
I just skipped the middle connector on mine, but I am not planning to fully load up the hub either...

The idea is to spread the load across different wires. It also helps to minimize wire length where possible.

Mu recommendation is to use the first connector on two different wire sets coming out of the power supply and just tie up the second connector with the other excess wires in the bundle.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline urthegman

Re: Power Supply Question
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just skipped the middle connector on mine, but I am not planning to fully load up the hub either...

The idea is to spread the load across different wires. It also helps to minimize wire length where possible.

Mu recommendation is to use the first connector on two different wire sets coming out of the power supply and just tie up the second connector with the other excess wires in the bundle.

RM
Using the first connector on two different sets (I forgot to mention there are 4 on each wire)definitely makes sense. and I guess I could cut/break the outer clips off the second in the chain and hopefully that one will fit in the middle. I guess there is no harm as in this case the clips really aren't serving any purpose. One of my hubs will be nearly fully loaded, that is why I am adamant about attaching all three. Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated!!!