Author Topic: SS HUB - can I hook up the 12v only?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
SS HUB - can I hook up the 12v only?
« on: August 05, 2011, »
Question, on the SS HUB ... can I hook up the green connector for the optional 12V ?

I think it doesn't show it in the manual, unless you doing the optional 12V kit ... but if you
want to use it for SS PASSIVE HUB power supply connection ... is it fine to solder it on?

So my question is can I solder JUST it on, nothing else, since I don't need the optional 12v kit,
just interested in an easy connection for the PASS HUB connection.

I know others said I could just use one of the space 12V connectors on the ATX power supply
instead.  Not sure if any pros or cons to either approach.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tng5737

Re: SS HUB - can I hook up the 12v only?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, »
yes, you can run a wire from there to a passive hub to supply your 12v.   The optional kit was to be used IF you were not going to use a computer power supply.    If you measure the green terms with a VOM you'll see that there is 12v present. 

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, »
Thanks.

I was watching the video RJ did on the the passive hub and combiner ... and in that, he was using an etherdongle ... but his SS HUB appears to have the 12v parts all installed, but he was using an ATX power supply ... and using the optional 12v to power a passive hub.  So that kind of confused me, unless there is a way to turn on/off the optional 12v section.

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, »
There was a concern that having them on the hub but powering the unit via  a atx supply could sink current through the regulators but since they get powered either way I have.not had a issue. All mine have the extra.parts. Yes you can put just the 12v connector on.

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying