Author Topic: How do i set up to run my stuff?  (Read 3251 times)

Offline typoagain

How do i set up to run my stuff?
« on: August 15, 2011, »
This year I am making some major changes in my controllers and I want to be sure that I am on the right track.

I want to run some DMX elements from Ray Wu (11 controllers total), my LOR controllers, and a Lynx Express. I also have a version 2 dongle and I plan on getting the eather dongle when it comes out.

So how do I set this up to run and do I need to get anything else to make it all work?

??? ???
One of the new guys in Odessa TX.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: How do i set up to run my stuff?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, »
It sounds like you are not using pixelnet then, right?

So It sounds like you will need a Lynx Dongle for the DMX part .. and can use your existing LOR USB interface for the LOR stuff.  You would likely hook up both the Lynx Dongle to a USB port and the LOR interface to a USB port ... and then add controllers in LSP as needed.

Then you add the controllers as needed in LSP.  There are many ways to do it ... and your preference plays a part in that.

You could also run LOR in dmx mode, but would loose the shimmer and twinkle capabilities ... well not loose, but get a DMX version of those instead.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline typoagain

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, »
Great! I was not sure if I needed to run both the interface adn dogle both-or if I even could do that.

I also wanted to be sure that I had all the hardware to do the job. Now I have to get it all put togeather!

So much work, so little time.

Thanks for the help.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, »
Yes, you have a lot of options.

Basically the Lynx Express and the Ray 3ch DMX controllers ... are all DMX, and just chained off the Lynx DMX dongle.  You optionally could chain LOR into that, but do need a crossover cable when going from DMX to LOR.

If you continue to use your LOR adaptor, then no crossover cable needed.  You'll just have your DMX chain of stuff and your LOR chain of stuff.  Both adaptors to PC and controlled by LSP. 

Let us know what your list of stuff to build is, so we can sanity check everything for you.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline dmoore

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, »
You could also run LOR in dmx mode, but would loose the shimmer and twinkle capabilities ... well not loose, but get a DMX version of those instead.

I'd actually say that the DMX version of the shiimers/twinkles are better since you can directly control the rate of shimmer and twinkle instead of only having the built-in LOR versions.

Offline typoagain

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, »
Well,, if I can get LSP@ figured out in time I want to run straight DMX.

For some odd reason my neighborhood has a lot of small, short power interruptions that tend to shut off my computer. Yes, I know I should get a decent power supply for my desktop computer. But I am getting to where I never use the desktop for anything but running my show. I prefer to use my laptop.

So I am thinking about going to RJ's fancy new conductor when it comes out. Lots of versatility and options with no more problems due to one second power outages
Thx for the feedback< Wesley

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, »
So I am thinking about going to RJ's fancy new conductor when it comes out. Lots of versatility and options with no more problems due to one second power outages

Well, I'm not sure the EtherDongle + Conductor will necessarily completely solve your power interruption issues.  The EtherDongle runs off AC power just like your PC so a 1 second power loss will still cause some problems.  The good thing is that when power is restored the EtherDongle will likely just restart the show.  We'll have to see where the final firmware ends up with respect to power up options.  Of course a very small UPS would keep the EtherDongle running.

-Mike

Offline typoagain

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, »

Well, I'm not sure the EtherDongle + Conductor will necessarily completely solve your power interruption issues.  The EtherDongle runs off AC power just like your PC so a 1 second power loss will still cause some problems.  The good thing is that when power is restored the EtherDongle will likely just restart the show.  We'll have to see where the final firmware ends up with respect to power up options.  Of course a very small UPS would keep the EtherDongle running.

-Mike

I don't mind things shutting down for a second or two. My problesm is that since I work nights I am not there to restart the display. After talking to RJ at the Academy, I fell confident that the conductor will solve enough of my troubles that it will not be near the major issue it is now.

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, »
If you are only getting brownouts and flashes of outages, I would suggest a cheap batter backup. You can get one for $50 to plug in just the computer that will keep it from rebooting in that second. You may still have all the lights flash off but at least they should come back on fast.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline typoagain

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, »
Yea, your right. I really need to do that.
But I can get, like, a dozen strings of LEDs on clearance after Christmas for $50!
Truth be known, that old desk top needs to be replaced and probably is not WORTH $50. I just figured that the conductor would keep me from buying another desk top. And I know that if I did I would only use it for the display. And if I am going to do that, I would need to get 2 new 20" monitors...In for a penny, in for a pound! If I get a new computer for this display, I'll lose control and end up spending $700-$800! I would just lose control!
And I really need to stay on a budget this year. The medical bills have gotten totally out of hand.

Besides, hasn't anyone told you that I am one cheap SOB!   lol

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, »
A cheap UPS will still cost less than a Conductor.  Another issue is that the Conductor may not do what you think in this situation.  If the conductor loses power during a show it will reset when the power comes back on and will wait for the next scheduled event to start blinking the lights again.  Now granted, the Conductor is a cool device and I have every intention of getting one or two myself but of you want the show to continue when the power comes back, it would also need a UPS so either way, I would consider picking one up.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, »
or maybe the conductor daughter card can be designed with a rechargeable battery on board so it can continue running the show internal and then pick up right where it would have been in the show the 1st pace....

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, »
Actually, if it's going to handle schedules it will likely have a real time clock in it, so it is feasible that it could calculate where it should be in the sequence based on time of day when power is restored. It would be simpler to program, however, to just restart the show either at the beginning or the next song.  In effect, that's what has to happen anyway when you apply power irregardless of a power failure.

We'll just have to wait and see how RJ plans to handle the schedule start-up and playback.

-Mike

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, »
or maybe the conductor daughter card can be designed with a rechargeable battery on board so it can continue running the show internal and then pick up right where it would have been in the show the 1st pace....

Why increase the price of the board when the cost of a UPS is so cheap already.  Then another issue would be how many and what size batteries to use and where to put them.  And if you forget to remove them at the end of the season they could burst and damage the card.  I would also think that at this time we are past the point of new redesigns since he is already successfully beta testing it the way that it is.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, »
Why increase the price of the board when the cost of a UPS is so cheap already.  Then another issue would be how many and what size batteries to use and where to put them.  And if you forget to remove them at the end of the season they could burst and damage the card.  I would also think that at this time we are past the point of new redesigns since he is already successfully beta testing it the way that it is.

<wd..

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying