Author Topic: Dmx in?  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Asterix0

Dmx in?
« on: August 15, 2011, »
I have an Express working using wireless and Vixen. However, for Halloween, I'd like to control the system using a Cheuvet Obey 40 console to trigger sequences in real time. Is there any way to interface the Obey with Lynx wireless?

Offline steve_hirst

Re: Dmx in?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, »
yes the express runs true dmx. the isue that you run into is that you will eed to build a cable to go from one to the other. not sure what the cable pinout would be but I'm sure someone will step up.

Offline DaMenaCe

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, »
Well Asterix if the lynx wireless dmx is capable of taking the signal From ANY controller and transmit it to the receiver, then  what you are looking for boss is ... a Male 3pin XLR to rj-45

I Still am rookie so i cant be sure if the Cables coming out of the 3 pin are connecting to the corresponding pins on the cat5 side... So i would say maybe you should just build this cable urself.. get a 3pin male connector, Rj45 connector with cable and.. look at wire diagram.. in wiki i will try to see if i can find anything... Good luck boss.

Also one of the user Mike ()

gave me this info... hopefully it helps you aswell

From the wiki:
  XLR pin 1 not connected
  XLR pin 2 to RJ45 pin 2 (usually orange)
  XLR pin 3 to RJ45 pin 1 (usually white with orange stripe)
(Note that this is the same for 3 and 5 pin XLRs.  Don't worry about XLR pins 4 and 5 as they aren't used in regular DMX)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, by DaMenaCe »

Offline Asterix0

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, »
Could you give a link to someone who sells this cable.

Thanks.

Asterix0
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, by Asterix0 »

Offline DaMenaCe

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, »
Sorry about that bro, i think u can just Google it and you will find it, i included a link below anyways.. I dont have this wirelss RX/TX YET so i cant be too sure if it works caz i dont know how RJs cables in the connectors are setup. i dont even know if it matters or not so maybe you might want to ask ppl here to see  if it will work, before you order it and waste ur money. Again like as i said i m a total rookie here...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rm357

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, »
Easy enough to make.

Buy a cheap ethernet cable and cut one end off.
Buy an xlr connector (I like the neutrik NC3MX (male) or NC3FX (female) -~$2.50 each at mcmelectronics).
Solder a couple of wires, put the xlr connector together and you are done.

You can get cheaper xlr connectors, but the 4-part no screws design of the neutrik is easy to work with and I have not had any corrosion problems with the nickel plated pins. I have bought many of these to build and repair audio cables at my church.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline DaMenaCe

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, »
RM would u be able to post a pic or so?? the wiring kinda confuses me lol.   

Offline Asterix0

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, »
RM,

Thanks. Built one, works fine.

Offline DaMenaCe

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, »
Took a wack at it it works :)