Author Topic: Using LOR S3 with Lynx Express & no Idmx.  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
    • Carter Christmas Lights
Using LOR S3 with Lynx Express & no Idmx.
« on: August 16, 2011, »
Hello all, Here is what I want to do. Please give me your opinion on my best option.
I want to sequence with S2 and run Lynx Express controllers without using the LOR Idmx. Do I convert my sequences to Vixen and use the Lynx Dongle to run my show? Can I sequence with S2 and use xlights to run my show? If I do the xlights thing, do I still use the Lynx Dongle? Looking for some advice on what to do. Guess I could just learn to like Vixen! Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Donny
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ratroder

Using LOR S3 with Lynx Express & no Idmx.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, »
I currently use lor s2 and lynx equipment myself. I am a user of the idmx. For your instance I would go the xlights route. You will create two networks in lor and make one a dmx network. Then load your sequences into xlights and set the networks accordingly.

Offline dmoore

Re: Using LOR S3 with Lynx Express & no Idmx.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, »
This flow chart might help you find the solution:

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, »
Thanks for the chart David. Is there a Lynx Dongle I can use instead of the Enttec Pro?

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, »
I plan to use the new LOR DMX adapter with S3 to run my Lynx gear as it is should be much cheaper and more powerful.  That is if they release it during the sale by the end of the month.  It's small price to pay to stay with a software solution that has a proven track record.

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, »
So Jeff, you will run the new LOR Dongle to run your Lynx controllers with S3 running the show. If you want to add PixelNet, you would use the new PixelNet Dongle and xlights to run the show right?

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, »
So Jeff, you will run the new LOR Dongle to run your Lynx controllers with S3 running the show. If you want to add PixelNet, you would use the new PixelNet Dongle and xlights to run the show right?

Might sound crazy but I like to use items in my display that are proven performers.  Now I know this sounds bit crazy using a new version of S3 and a new DMX adapter but I have a good feel they will be solid.  If they don't come out this year then I'm going to scramble to figure something out.

As par as PixelNet, I like the idea but the light offerings are just not there for me yet (I have too man channels to convert).  I want to see a proven history of the lights before I'm going to invest.

I love the idea of xLights.  But again, I don't have enough track record of the product to move my show.

As far as RJ's equipment, I have a comfort level of the products that have been out a few years like the LE.  RJ is a genius when it comes to building this stuff.  But like all of us, he will most likely improve on version one designs. 

I'm an optimistic IT person with experience.  I like to play with new toys, but when everything is on the line, I use tools and technologies I have experience with that work well.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, »
Hi Jeff

I respect your opinion and please continue to use what your comfortable with but at the same time don't confuse your opinion as facts. Yes Lor has done hardware and software for a while now and they have a stable product line. So does RJ and other designers. I have been involved with IT for almost 3 decades but so what. My opinion should only effect me and everyone should take it with a grain of salt. To compare products that have been out in the market to something that is not release yet is not a good idea.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required