Author Topic: LSP 2 Twinkle, Flicker, Color questions.  (Read 5436 times)

Offline typoagain

Re: LSP 2 Twinkle, Flicker, Color questions.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As an update - I recieved a message this is a bug and LSP is working to fix it.  So hopefully the next update will be working.  Who beta tested this stuff?!?! LOL :)

Actually was reported in bug #362 on 08-Aug:

I suspect that this and other issues outstanding will be resolved in the upcoming update.

Thanks,
David

Well, I can't get the screen casst to load. Is it just me?
One of the new guys in Odessa TX.

Offline typoagain

LSP 2........Color questions.
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, »
So, if your software application is setup to output orange and you are getting pink, in almost all cases (if you've setup your hardware right) - your LEDs (...or incandescents even) is/are at fault.  This isn't a SS thing, it applies to ALL lighting.  If you are not getting your orange, I would recommend the channel calibration features in LSP - one of the few high end applications that support such adjustments so that you don't have to result to "tricks" in your sequencing.

Hopefully that helps explain LSP a little better.  I'll see if I can get some time to make a video showing this.

Funny you should mention that.

I was having dinner with a friend who does makes his living doing lighting for theaters. He has a BA in Theater Production. One of the major gripes he has with LED lighting is color variances.
 He recently bought all new LED lighting for a theater to cut down on the time he was spending to get the colors  <rtt..correct. It ends up that the previous lighting engineers at that theater had in the past replaced the lights a few at a time as their budget allowed.

But this created an issue for them.Whenever they started to set up for a new production, they had to set the colors on each individual light for each individual scene. This added up to literally days of work as each light had a different color curve.

By replacing all the lights at once too all the same brand and all the same type he was able to get a lot more consistency in the color out of each light. This cut his lighting design time from 3-5 days to 12-14 hours.
Now granted, he works on professional theater and movie productions-not my front yard. But is this going to be a problem for us?

I mean, say I buy a few smart strings each year for different elements. Then one day I decide to do a total redesign on my display and use all the smart strings I have on my roof line. Am I going to have problems where each string of pixels have a different shade of red?

I am not real picky, but I don’t want one string to look UT orange and another Tx Tech red when they are put side by side.

Has anyone ran into a problem with this yet?

Any feedback on using different brands or even different lots of pixels?

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, »
I'd like to put my word on this message thread and ask: when does anybody use the Shimmer and Twinkle effects in their shows? Mind you, I use Vixen rather than using LOR hardware's built-in stuff, but those effects seem kind of boring to me...

VERY slow songs perhaps?

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, »
I don't user twinkle or shimmer much.  I think the shimmer from LOR was pretty cool, but its also really annoying if used too much.  So I basically had one song last year which had quite a bit of shimmer in it.  The DMX twinkle and shimmer are a little different and more adjustable than the LOR version ... but I still don't see a need to use either much.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tng5737

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, »
I have a couple of songs which contain vibrato and use the shimmer to echo that effect in the lights.  The twinkle is used sparingly to mimic a random function which LSP does not have.  So I can see a place for these effects.

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, »
I have a couple of songs which contain vibrato and use the shimmer to echo that effect in the lights.

Do you have an example video?

Offline tng5737

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, »
The only recorded video I have was taken last year. It was my first year with a disply and I only had 16 channels.  I used both shimmer and twinkle effects.  The sound and picture are rather poor plus there is a lot of traffic and background noise.  With those 'apologies' up front - for what it is worth:

Offline dmoore

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, »
As an update - I recieved a message this is a bug and LSP is working to fix it.  So hopefully the next update will be working.  Who beta tested this stuff?!?! LOL :)

Actually was reported in bug #362 on 08-Aug:

I suspect that this and other issues outstanding will be resolved in the upcoming update.

Thanks,
David

It is my understanding that this issue should be addressed here in the next week or two and be present in an updated version of LSP.

Offline typoagain

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, »
Thanks for the info David. It's gottern to be pretty darn nice to have you around! I think that we often get better answers from you than from some of the other sources.

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, »
I have a question about the color issue that was mentioned. I want my flexible strips to do a twinkle but have all of them only be white at any time when on. From what I am seeing, that doesn't work, but is only possible if you use the primary colors. When you select white, or any of the blended colors, the program doesn't link the 3 RGB channels together to doing the same thing across all 3 of them. So you end up with a rainbow with white, or for example you want a twinkle of orange, you get a mix of red, green and orange. I have tried adding the twinkle with the controllers expanded and collapsed, and get the same effect either way. Someone on LSP forum mentioned using the white for rainbow and setting the levels to 255,255,255 for solid white, although I think he meant 254,254,254 as he thought 256,256,256 was white. I tried that and still get a rainbow.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, »
Thanks for the info David. It's gottern to be pretty darn nice to have you around! I think that we often get better answers from you than from some of the other sources.

Hi DM

Thanks for taking the time out of your schedule to answer lots of these questions.  All existing and prospective LSP users who are members of this board appreciate it.

As you well know as a beta tester, lots of issues have been reported by the testers and corrected by LSP. Still some remain and I am confident the reported "bug" issues will be addressed by DJ. There are also numerous feature requests that need to be evaluated by LSP for subsequent inclusion into the software. also.

Thanks
Mike