Author Topic: Setting up Channels on LSP  (Read 7414 times)

Offline urthegman

Setting up Channels on LSP
« on: August 22, 2011, »
Ok, I have my matrix set up to run off of 1 Hub. On my second Hub that will be daisy chained off of the first I will have 8 Flexible strips. My question is do I start a new Zone for the 8 strips and start with channel 1 all over again(the 8 strips will be programmed differently than the ones on the matrix) or do I leave them on the same zone and just start with the next channel number after the matrix? Thanks for any help you might be able to give on this. George (Posted this on LSPs site as well)
P.S. I will also have a universe of DMX running off of the second Hub.
I'm guessing this is going to have a lot to do with jumper setup on the Hubs, am I correct?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, by urthegman »

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
Re: Setting up Channels on LSP
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, »
The "daisy chained off of the first hub" sounds like you have 1 Pixelnet universe ( 1 dongle < 4096 channels) .

If this is the case the jumpers on both hubs would be set to universe 1 and your channel numbers would just continue.

If you do have 2 dongles it would be slightly different.

for the DMX it is just a jumper setting on the hub. The channel numbers for DMX are set to certain  blocks of channels. (listed in the WIKI)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, »
More information on what your trying to do and how you currently have it setup would be helpful.  I'm not quite sure what your asking.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline urthegman

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, »
A lot of what I want to do hinges on being able to get my hands on an Ether dongle. Off of my first Hub I have 14 SSC's set up to run 14 90 node flexible strips for a matrix. From there I will hook a second Hub to run 8 120 node Flexible strips and one universe of DMX for 10 of Computerized Lightings programmable Snow tubes. From there I will run a third Hub for 2 120 node arches and another universe of DMX for 10 more of Computerized Lightings programmable Snow tubes and finally one more Hub for a third set of 10 of Computerized Lightings programmable Snow tubes that run on DMX.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, »
So each of those snow tubes is 48 DMX channels ... wow, you really have big plans!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline urthegman

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, »
Yep, makes me nervous just thinking about it! Definitely skating on thin ice!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, »
I feel the same way, but I think your probably even more ambitious than me.

When you refer to "zone" or "next zone" ... what are you referring to?

Offline caretaker

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, »
A lot of what I want to do hinges on being able to get my hands on an Ether dongle. Off of my first Hub I have 14 SSC's set up to run 14 90 node flexible strips for a matrix.
Some simple math: 90x3=270 channels a strip x 14 strips = 3780 channels  Pixel nets dongle gives you 4096 channels -3780 leaves you with 316 Pixelnet or DMX channels left on dongle 1. 

From there I will hook a second Hub to run 8 120 node Flexible strips and one universe of DMX for 10 of Computerized Lightings programmable Snow tubes.
Dongle 2 to Pixelnet Hub 2 120 nodes x 3 = 360 channels x 8 strips = 2880  Leaving your with 1216 channles left.
From there I will run a third Hub for 2 120 node arches and another universe of DMX for 10 more of Computerized Lightings programmable Snow tubes and finally one more Hub for a third set of 10 of Computerized Lightings programmable Snow tubes that run on DMX.
You can use a regular DMX dongle for 512 channels of DMX for the third dongle. 
*Or if were really good and keep our rooms clean and eat all our vegetables Santa RJ might have the Ether Dongle out before the end of October and you can do everything of 1 ether dongle. (*the ether dongle will be out when all the beta testing is finished and not a moment sooner!  Clean rooms and vegetable eating will have no effect on this process.)
Jeff Squires

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, »

*Or if were really good and keep our rooms clean and eat all our vegetables Santa RJ might have the Ether Dongle out before the end of October and you can do everything of 1 ether dongle. (*the ether dongle will be out when all the beta testing is finished and not a moment sooner!  Clean rooms and vegetable eating will have no effect on this process.)

Ha Ha !

The Jokes on you!

He is a EtherDongle Beta tester so he has one!   <yk..

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, »
He was already on Santa's good list :-)  The rest of us have to sit eating popcorn waiting for Santa and his elves to finish building on this stuff and making sure it's good to go for the masses before we get our addicted hands on it!  Get our your cookies and milk, it could be a bribe maybe.  Santa...I'll be good...I PROMISE!  :-)  Thanks for everything you do RJ and beta testers...cannot wait for the excitement of the new stuff coming out now and in the near future!  Hopefully next year I'll be able to beta test some, but new jobs just tend to take a lot of time out of your schedule.

Offline egenoup

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, »
Is it done yet???     <yk..     >.d9  <;d

Offline urthegman

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, »
I feel the same way, but I think your probably even more ambitious than me.

When you refer to "zone" or "next zone" ... what are you referring to?
In LSP it gives you the option of which zone/network a controller will be on. I thought if I was using multiple dongles that I would set it up with different controllers controlling  different zones. I clearly could be mistaken, that is why I am asking all these questions. I failed to mention earlier I will also be running 144 Animated Lighting channels but that part I already have figured out. So the question is, am I mistaken for putting the controllers on different zones? Thanks, George

Offline urthegman

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, »
A lot of what I want to do hinges on being able to get my hands on an Ether dongle. Off of my first Hub I have 14 SSC's set up to run 14 90 node flexible strips for a matrix.

Some simple math: 90x3=270 channels a strip x 14 strips = 3780 channels  Pixel nets dongle gives you 4096 channels -3780 leaves you with 316 Pixelnet or DMX channels left on dongle 1. 

From there I will hook a second Hub to run 8 120 node Flexible strips and one universe of DMX for 10 of Computerized Lightings programmable Snow tubes.
Dongle 2 to Pixelnet Hub 2 120 nodes x 3 = 360 channels x 8 strips = 2880  Leaving your with 1216 channles left.
From there I will run a third Hub for 2 120 node arches and another universe of DMX for 10 more of Computerized Lightings programmable Snow tubes and finally one more Hub for a third set of 10 of Computerized Lightings programmable Snow tubes that run on DMX.
You can use a regular DMX dongle for 512 channels of DMX for the third dongle. 
Ok, I checked the matrix controllers I added to LSP and there are indeed 3,780 channels and the 316 channels left would let me add one more 90 node strip if I decided. It would not allow a 512 channel DMX universe so I can not run one off of here that is clear and that is why I thought that running it off of Hub number 2 which has 1,216 channels left over as you stated. Off of Hub 3 I will be running 240 x 3 = 720 channels for two 120 node flexible strip arches leaving me plenty of channels for a second 512 channel DMX universe. Hub 4 will only be running the third DMX universe that I need. Or is there a way to run 2 DMX universes from my third hub? This would eliminate my need for a fourth hub and power supply that would be required to run it. I am just trying to get my brain wrapped around this so that I can get everything set up correctly now instead of waiting until the last minute. And I see that RJ let the cat out of the bag, so yes I will be running this off of the Ether Dongle. The math part of this is not my problem(I am a retired gold and silver option broker) It is the physical set up of all this that I am struggling to figure out. To add another dimension to my madness, I might have Madrix run the 30 DMX programmable snow tubes and LSP run everything else. Thanks for any help you can give mapping all of this out and thanks for the laugh I got when I read about eating my veggies and cleaning my room! George

Offline urthegman

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, »

Ha Ha !

The Jokes on you!
 Doh! And I was doing my darnedest to not let the cat out of the bag!!!!! <fp.

He is a EtherDongle Beta tester so he has one!   <yk..

RJ

Offline urthegman

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, »
He was already on Santa's good list :-)  The rest of us have to sit eating popcorn waiting for Santa and his elves to finish building on this stuff and making sure it's good to go for the masses before we get our addicted hands on it!  Get our your cookies and milk, it could be a bribe maybe.  Santa...I'll be good...I PROMISE!  :-)  Thanks for everything you do RJ and beta testers...cannot wait for the excitement of the new stuff coming out now and in the near future!  Hopefully next year I'll be able to beta test some, but new jobs just tend to take a lot of time out of your schedule.
You don't have to sit eating popcorn, get on over here and help me figure all this out! LOL I'll give you all the cookies and milk you can handle!!! AND you too will get a sneak peek!!! I can't imagine doing all this if I wasn't retired, although I used to get a LOT of programming done while I was at 'work'! LOL