Author Topic: Setting up Channels on LSP  (Read 7416 times)

Offline urthegman

Re: Setting up Channels on LSP
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Is it done yet???     <yk..     >.d9  <;d
We didn't even get the boards yet.

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, »
Or is there a way to run 2 DMX universes from my third hub? This would eliminate my need for a fourth hub and power supply that would be required to run it. I am just trying to get my brain wrapped around this so that I can get everything set up correctly now instead of waiting until the last minute.
I don't think it is possible with the hubs as designed. But would that be hard to add to the PCB design to give that option? an extra rj45 I know would be needed, but what else and how much would it add to it. I don't need it myself, but see as some of the people that have very high DMX count display, that want to get into adding pixelnet and won't need more than 1 hub might like that.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline tbone321

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, »
Remember that creating a DMX universe out of pixelnet is a conversion process.  First it would need a processor to read the pixelnet stream and perform the conversion needed to create the DMX outputalong with a set of jumpers to tell it where in the pixelnet stream to pull the DMX from.  Then you would need another RS-485 chip to generate the output signal to the RJ-485 jack you were talking about to connect to the DMX devices along with the rest of the support circuitry for these chips.  The problem is that these components take up space which would mean a new board design, and the expenses from that along with more protyping and beta testing.  To me it's not really worth it. 

What I would suggest if the need becomes great enough is a separate DMX only converter board that would plug into one of the active hub ports and only contain the DMX conversion circuitry and a single DMX output. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, »
Yes, you want a 'zone' for each physical interface you are using ... so if your using 3 pixelnet flashed dongles, each with a pixelnet universe ... then 3 zones sounds right.

From a wiring perspective, you might combine with pixelnet combiner into a single cable to ss hub1, then ss hub2, then ss hub3 ... breaking off a universe at each.

You can't get more than 512 channels of DMX from a single SS Hub, but you could just use a regular DMX dongle (and no ss hub) if you just need one additional DMX universe ... and I guess that would add yet another 'zone' in your LSP output section.

How are you going to keep Madrix and LSP in sync together?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline urthegman

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, »
Ok, This is what I have derived from reading the Wiki regarding the DMX outputs and my setup. Please let me know if you agree with this set-up or what would be a proper and/or better setup for my combined Pixelnet and DMX set up.
EtherDongle to Hub 1, jumper goes on Pixelnet Universe 1 and controls 14 of the 90 node Flexible strips for 3,780 channels. Channels 1-3,780
Hub1 - Hub2, jumper goes on Pixelnet Universe 2???? on Hub2 and controls 8 of the 120 node Flexible strips for 2,880 channels. Now is it channels 3,781-6660 or 4,097 to 6,976????    For the DMX Universe according to the WIKI, I would put the jumper on DMX Universe 7 and my DMX Universe would be channels 7,169 - 7,680
Hub2 - Hub3, jumper would go on Pixelnet Universe 3???? on Hub3 and controls 2 of the 120 node Flexible strips for 720 channels. Would it be channels 7,681-8400 or 8193-8912????
For my second DMX universe according to the WIKI, I would put the jumper on DMX Universe 3 and my DMX channels would be 9,217 - 9,728
Hub3- Hub4, jumper goes on Pixelnet Universe 4????, I have NO pixelnet channels on Hub4. For my third DMX Universe according to the Wiki, I would put the DMX jumper on DMX universe 1 and my DMX channels would be 12,289 - 12,800
I put a question mark and a confused smiley where I am really not sure and I am completely open to suggestions on the entire set up. Thank you for your time and any help you can give, George
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, by urthegman »

Offline urthegman

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, »
Taybrinn, I didn't see your post before I posted my guestimated set up. I am about to go out for a run to clear my head a little. I will read it when I get back. Quick answer to your question Madrix has a M2L option where it will use the waveform to enable specified effects to go to the beat of the song. OR I think I can set up a DMX channel that will allow me to put saved or created effects into the song wherever I include them on the channel and control the snow tubes like that.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, »
I think your universe assignments need to be complete, not partial.

So your first pixelnet universe is PN ch# 1-4096 ... you would use 1-3780 and have 3781-4096 as unused

Your second pixelnet universe if PN ch#4097-8192 ... you would use 4097-6976

Your third pixelnet universe is PN ch#8193-12288 ... you would use 8193-8912

You don't really need a fourth pixelnet universe, so you either just use a Lynx DMX Dongle for that 512, or try to use spare DMX channels from the other 3 DMX universes.

Did you forget to add a DMX512 to the first ss hub ?  Even if you only used part of the 512 channels for DMX, you can still use them for pixelnet ... it outputs to both PN and DMX on those channels.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline caretaker

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, »
A lot of what I want to do hinges on being able to get my hands on an Ether dongle. Off of my first Hub I have 14 SSC's set up to run 14 90 node flexible strips for a matrix.

Some simple math: 90x3=270 channels a strip x 14 strips = 3780 channels  Pixel nets dongle gives you 4096 channels -3780 leaves you with 316 Pixelnet or DMX channels left on dongle 1. 

From there I will hook a second Hub to run 8 120 node Flexible strips and one universe of DMX for 10 of Computerized Lightings programmable Snow tubes.
Dongle 2 to Pixelnet Hub 2 120 nodes x 3 = 360 channels x 8 strips = 2880  Leaving your with 1216 channles left.
From there I will run a third Hub for 2 120 node arches and another universe of DMX for 10 more of Computerized Lightings programmable Snow tubes and finally one more Hub for a third set of 10 of Computerized Lightings programmable Snow tubes that run on DMX.
You can use a regular DMX dongle for 512 channels of DMX for the third dongle. 
*Or if were really good and keep our rooms clean and eat all our vegetables Santa RJ might have the Ether Dongle out before the end of October and you can do everything of 1 ether dongle. (*the ether dongle will be out when all the beta testing is finished and not a moment sooner!  Clean rooms and vegetable eating will have no effect on this process.)
Ok, I checked the matrix controllers I added to LSP and there are indeed 3,780 channels and the 316 channels left would let me add one more 90 node strip if I decided. It would not allow a 512 channel DMX universe so I can not run one off of here that is clear and that is why I thought that running it off of Hub number 2 which has 1,216 channels left over as you stated. Off of Hub 3 I will be running 240 x 3 = 720 channels for two 120 node flexible strip arches leaving me plenty of channels for a second 512 channel DMX universe. Hub 4 will only be running the third DMX universe that I need. Or is there a way to run 2 DMX universes from my third hub? This would eliminate my need for a fourth hub and power supply that would be required to run it. I am just trying to get my brain wrapped around this so that I can get everything set up correctly now instead of waiting until the last minute. And I see that RJ let the cat out of the bag, so yes I will be running this off of the Ether Dongle. The math part of this is not my problem(I am a retired gold and silver option broker) It is the physical set up of all this that I am struggling to figure out. To add another dimension to my madness, I might have Madrix run the 30 DMX programmable snow tubes and LSP run everything else. Thanks for any help you can give mapping all of this out and thanks for the laugh I got when I read about eating my veggies and cleaning my room! George
Opps, forgot about the 2 120 node arches... you could add those to hub 2 which would take care of your Smart String/Pixelnet part of your show. Since you are going to be using a Etherdongle you will be all set 2 channels of the etherdongle for your smart strings/ pixelnet and 2 channels for DMX.  As far as numbering channels go, I would keep all your DMX channels together and all your Smart String/ Pixelnet channels together.  So say channels 1 through 512 etherdongle port 1 for DMX universe 1, Channels 1 through 512 etherdongle port 2 is DMX universe 2, Pixelnet channels 1 through 3780 will be etherdongle port 3 and Pixelnet channels 1 through 3600 will be etherdongle port 4.   I sure others will chime in and correct me if I am getting something wrong here which is the great thing about this group. One thing that may help you is if you draw out your display on paper and as you put in each element put down channels numbers for the element too.
Jeff Squires

Offline urthegman

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, »
I think your universe assignments need to be complete, not partial.

So your first pixelnet universe is PN ch# 1-4096 ... you would use 1-3780 and have 3781-4096 as unused

Your second pixelnet universe if PN ch#4097-8192 ... you would use 4097-6976

Your third pixelnet universe is PN ch#8193-12288 ... you would use 8193-8912

You don't really need a fourth pixelnet universe, so you either just use a Lynx DMX Dongle for that 512, or try to use spare DMX channels from the other 3 DMX universes.

Did you forget to add a DMX512 to the first ss hub ?  Even if you only used part of the 512 channels for DMX, you can still use them for pixelnet ... it outputs to both PN and DMX on those channels.
I might be over thinking all this but here goes. I don't think I can add the 512 DMX channels to the first hub. If you look at the WIKI page here :http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5120.0;attach=6009
there is a list of channels that correspond to one of the set of DMX jumper pins that are numbered 1-8 on the hub.
I did think of all the empty channel assignments and I'm not sure if it matters or not. I think that whether it is full or empty 4096 channels of info will be sent. I'm sooo confused right now.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, »
One thing to remember is that the DMX output of a hub has no effect on the PixelNet output.  The hub will still distribute the full 4096 channels of PixelNet regardless of what range the DMX jumper is set to.  If you have lets say 150 channels at the end of a PixelNet universe that you wan to use for DMX, then set the DMX jumper on the hub to 8 and set the starting DMX address on your first controller to 363 and you are good to go.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, »
One thing to remember is that the DMX output of a hub has no effect on the PixelNet output.  The hub will still distribute the full 4096 channels of PixelNet regardless of what range the DMX jumper is set to.  If you have lets say 150 channels at the end of a PixelNet universe that you wan to use for DMX, then set the DMX jumper on the hub to 8 and set the starting DMX address on your first controller to 363 and you are good to go.
So I can do what Taybrynn recommends and fill in the unused channels?
Man, this is difficult!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, »
Yes you can and it's easier than you think. 

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, »
Yes, you can.

It's actually not difficult, its just extremely flexible (as RJ designed it). 

The hard part is making all the decisions along the way.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, by taybrynn »

Offline dmoore

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, »

Consider that you don't have to "use up" all of LSP's "virtual" channels.  When I setup seperate universes I use the following ordering that links LSP's channels to physical addresses:

Universe 1 (1-512 DMX) = LSP 1001-1512
Universe 2 (1-512 DMX) = LSP 2001-2512
Universe 3 (1-512 DMX) = LSP 3001-3512

Why I perfer this method is becuse it not only tells me, without looking at a spread sheet, which universe but also which DMX channel in that universe it is in.  Combine this with LSP's channel printing tools, and you don't have to keep track of your channels anywhere but in LSP!  Of course this applies slightly different to pixelnet but I believe the concept remains the same - you don't have to use up all the channels as LSP's "channels" are just references, not actual addresses.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, »
So it as simple as making each hub its own universe, setting up the channels however I wish without gaps and making sure I have a DMX pin in my hub that will cover the DMX channels? Or should I set the DMX channels first as Dmoore suggested and fill in my Pixelnet channels around it? I was setting my channels up the way I was to spread the power load on my Corsair 850,750 and 650 power supplies. Thanks, George
Note: I am also trying to keep my Hubs and power supplies in close proximity to the physical location of each element.
Also forgot to mention all three DMX universes will be doing the same thing.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, by urthegman »