Author Topic: Using LOR and Smart Strings together.  (Read 1092 times)

Offline aich75013

Using LOR and Smart Strings together.
« on: August 22, 2011, »
My current show uses LOR boxes and in the past I have LOR software.
This year I am added a Mega tree with Smart Strings and I am not too sure on how this will work.
I will be converting everything over to LSP.
Do I use the Lynx dongle and the USB-RJ45 Serial adapter both connected to my computer simultaneously, or do I need to use the DMX out from the Smart String hub to talk to the LOR boxes?
--Adrian

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Using LOR and Smart Strings together.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, »
You have lots of options.  Yes, you can use both adaptors connected at the same time, esp. if you have 2+ USB ports free to plug them into.

The most simple would be to continue using the LOR interface and have a single Lynx DMX DOngle (flashed with Pixelnet) ... going into a smart string hub ... and using a smart string controller for each smart string your using.

Then control all using LSP 2.0 or using LOR sequence file + xlights (xlights support of pixelnet not officially released just yet).  Either can support the dual interface setup.

You can also run the LOR boxes using DMX if you want, but then you would lose the LOR shimmer and LOR twinkle at the hardward level and use DMX software tinkle and shimmer instead (not quite the same).  I would probably not use that DMX only setup, just because you would loose some capability.

You don't need to use the DMX-out from the smart string hub to talk to the LOR boxes, but thats an option if you decided to go DMX-only and Lynx only on the interface ... but probably not the preferred way, IMHO.  You also would need a DMX to LOR cable built, since LOR using non-standard wires for the DMX signal.

I'd keep them separate if you can.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, »
Most people would just use the DMX out of the hub and run one interface since you are using LSP instead of LOR. The reason the majority of the people were using two setups was because they were using LOR software and it does not support our dongles. So they used the LOR dongle to run the LOR and the LYNX to run the other stuff.

Speaking to a number of users at mini's ect, most preferred using DMX as you can change the twinkle and shimmers as opposed to being fixed with one that is in the LOR hardware. There is no wrong or right way just what works best for you. You can ask 4 people and get four ways to handle it. 

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, »
It's true that LOR shimmer and twinkle are one trick ponies and non-configurable, since they are hardware based.

So as RJ said ... if you wanted to just go to one interface, you could ... and then it would have the same kind of twinkle and shimmer throughout ... and be more configurable.

My point would be, since expect the exact same look for those effects.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login