Author Topic: Flex Strip Opinions Wanted  (Read 1019 times)

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
Flex Strip Opinions Wanted
« on: August 22, 2011, »
I am attempting to use 12 flex strips for a RGB tree this year.  What I would like to know if current firmware will/does/does not support dividing up the 120 nodes down to 3 nodes a section kinda like the rect modules.  I am attempting to cut down on channel count - this is my 1st year and went the SS route - but with the new LSP licensing, 12 flex strips and my 60 rect node northstar have me at 4500 channels already and will max out my alloted channel count quick if I add any more.

Reason why I am asking about grouping 3 physical nodes into 1 logical node is the LOR CCS will do this as well to cut down channel count.

If not, guess I should have just went with single pixel nodes on a string to do the tree....

Opinions/ideas etc - good bad and ugly :)

Thanks
Myk

Offline jeffcoast

Re: Flex Strip Opinions Wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, »
I thought the LOR CCR strips only worked in groups of 3, that is what turned me off of them and I was so happy when I found this site and the Smartstrings. Also, I think I read another thread somewhere that asked for a feature like this, but as of yet it hasn't been implemented from what I have seen.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, »
I think the flex strings are either 1 channel (string mode: 3 rgb channels) or 120 channels (node mode: 360 rgb) or 121 channels (hybrid mode: 363 rgb ch) only.  THis is all programmed into the SSC with the smart string controller utility software.

A few have mentioned that we could potentially do more 'grouping' in the SSC firmware to reduce channel count, but RJ would have to do the coding for that.  FOr example, could take a 120 node flex strip and define each section as 3 nodes, then its now a 40 node strip ... and would use only 40 in the software to control.  That would be using a node group size of 3.

I would use this capability (if it existed)  for some rgb megaballs I am building ... I end up using 4 sq. modules per ball ... so I'd like to groups of 4, then control each ball as a single rgb item.  So if I did 15 balls, and 15*4, or 60 modules ... I'd enter in 60 nodes, and group size of 4 ... and it would basically tell the SSC to setup a 60/4, or 15 virtual nodes to control those RGB items in groups of 4 modules per virtual node.

I think the answer is ... a smart string software firmware ... could do what your asking, but thats up to RJ and whether there is enough demand for it.

I think an option to specify a NODE MODE + NODE GROUP SIZE would be really cool.  I figure currently, line mode is where node group size = <# of nodes in string> ... and node mode is where node group size=1.  If you could specify an equal divisor of the # of nodes as the group size ... it could give you the ability to partition up the RGB items however you want ... at the SSC level.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, »
I thought the LOR CCR strips only worked in groups of 3, that is what turned me off of them and I was so happy when I found this site and the Smartstrings. Also, I think I read another thread somewhere that asked for a feature like this, but as of yet it hasn't been implemented from what I have seen.

THE CCS can be indv or in set of 3 pixels.

I didn't know if the current pic in the controllers can do this or has the ability.  And yes, only RJ has the hex source - so it would be up to him if he wanted to implement or if he has someone he trusts to implement.

From CCS specs:

Configurable resolution — 50 pixels (150 channels), 25 pixels (75 channels), 17 pixels, 16 pixels, 10 pixels , 5 pixels , 2 pixels and 1 pixel

OK, guess you cant have 150 indv controlable pixels, so our setup has a BIG plus there.  But it would be nice to be able to set resolutions something like this.

At 12 strings * 120 pixels * 3 channels = 4320 channels :(

Now rooflines, and other long items - 120 indv pixels is nice, but it gets to be a nightmare like I am trying to use for a single sided mega tree than can do matrix animations on it as well.

Another thing I like about the CCS are its built in macros.  Set certain channels to a certain variable, and then turn in the execution channel, and it does the work for it - on some stuff.....

Time will tell - keeping finger crossed for custom resolutions

Myk

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, »
I think the flex strings are either 1 channel (string mode: 3 rgb channels) or 120 channels (node mode: 360 rgb) or 121 channels (hybrid mode: 363 rgb ch) only.  THis is all programmed into the SSC with the smart string controller utility software.

A few have mentioned that we could potentially do more 'grouping' in the SSC firmware to reduce channel count, but RJ would have to do the coding for that.  FOr example, could take a 120 node flex strip and define each section as 3 nodes, then its now a 40 node strip ... and would use only 40 in the software to control.  That would be using a node group size of 3.

I would use this capability (if it existed)  for some rgb megaballs I am building ... I end up using 4 sq. modules per ball ... so I'd like to groups of 4, then control each ball as a single rgb item.  So if I did 15 balls, and 15*4, or 60 modules ... I'd enter in 60 nodes, and group size of 4 ... and it would basically tell the SSC to setup a 60/4, or 15 virtual nodes to control those RGB items in groups of 4 modules per virtual node.

I think the answer is ... a smart string software firmware ... could do what your asking, but thats up to RJ and whether there is enough demand for it.

I think an option to specify a NODE MODE + NODE GROUP SIZE would be really cool.  I figure currently, line mode is where node group size = <# of nodes in string> ... and node mode is where node group size=1.  If you could specify an equal divisor of the # of nodes as the group size ... it could give you the ability to partition up the RGB items however you want ... at the SSC level.

ya, will have to see - if you look at the CCS user manual it does have some neat macro modes built in - heck if there was enough interest and RJ is willing and finds the time (ya what time  ;) ) i would be willing to pay more for lets say for a lack of a better name a SSC+ controller.  It would have the flash space to users could make their own macros and share them if they desire.....

These macros would not only be usefull on flexstrips, they would be very useful on the pixel node strings as well.....

Myk